M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a ride last Saturday I found out I can't downshift after coming to a full stop, what ever gear it was in it stays in. It will downshift while
moving ok, if I down shift to neutral when moving it will go into first when I stop any suggestion?
I have 19,000 miles on it and till now trouble free, I checked clutch adjustment and even changed the oil [it was due]
Everything else seems ok shifting, clutch engagement no unusual noises
it was very hot that day, about 100 but I tried it the next day still no go.
Two months ago I passed up a good deal on a new leftover 2009 Kawy
voyager but I said I am happy with my 09 so I passed on it now I am not so happy.
Any info to let me know what to expect would be appreciated

·
Registered
461 Posts
When stopped the gears also stop turning unless you release the clutch. When the gears are not moving they are sometimes harder to move depending on the position when they stop moving. I find that when I stop and did not downshift first that it is sometimes hard to shift through the gears to first. Occasionally, from neutral to first while stopped I have to slightly release the clutch to engage first. I have had the same thing happen on cars and trucks with manual transmissions especially going into reverse.

G

·
That is just the way a sequential gearbox works. Even if you don't engadge each gear while downshifting by letting out the clutch, you need to complete all downshifts before comming to a stop. It's kind of the luck of the draw as to whether the gears come to a stop in a position where you can shift it to the next gear or not. Sometimes you can and othertimes it just won't. Letting it roll a little and/or slipping the clutch will help when you find yourself stopped and forgot to downshift.

·
Registered
263 Posts
release the clutch just untill it starts to grab and pull it back in you should be able to work down the gears then.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
When stopped, sometimes I have that problem, however I found that i did'nt fully bring the shifter back up, meaning my foot slighty rests on the shifter. although, when stopped glenty, move the clutch lever to move the bike slightly helps the gears fall into place. and thats not only with the 109, but other bikes that I have.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts