M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a issue with the rotor and would like to know if you can turn the rotor just enough to get light grooves out of them. Also do you know if the could turn them without taking off the rear wheel, probably not but thought I would ask to see.

Not sure if pic would come up here so here is the link http://www.frappr.com/?a=viewphoto&id=1692562&pid=2493753&myphotos=1

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Re: Can you Turn Rotor ?

Heres your pic...................... and yes make them get you a new one!!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Ok I give how did you get the pic to come up ? I read the thing about posting pics from frapper I must have missed something. Question though how come you can't turn it ?

·
Registered
1,637 Posts

BearCom said:
Ok I give how did you get the pic to come up ? I read the thing about posting pics from frapper I must have missed something. Question though how come you can't turn it ?
The pic, I went to your link....right clicked on the pic .....then brought up properties.....copied the address........came to my post, clicked the insert picture button......the just pasted the address between the two [imgs]Â :bigthumbsup:

On the rotor......most bike and most modern car rotors can't be turned because theres just not enough metal in them :eek: .................I've never been a fan of turning rotors at all, because it removes the run-out that was designed in the rotor to back the calipers off, thus you get the brake dragging all the time.
Have you ever noticed cars/trucks on the road that look pretty clean except the front wheels are just black with brake dust , I'll bet that 90% of the time you ask them they have had brake work done where their rotors were turned (or they just can't drive for s*#t :p )..... but thats just my .02 on that :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,768 Posts

ppridgen1 said:
press a new one on , the dealer that mial-adjusted your brake for you should be able to do it (maybe for FREE)
The rotors are not repairable! Once they are scored they are history! The actual wear area of the rotor is attached to the inner portion of the disc by the metal ferrules which aides in heat dissipation. The ferrules are pressed in during the manufacturing process using unique equipment.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Ok, gottca about the pic. I talked to a service manager at another dealer and he briefly looked at it and said that it doesn't need to be replaced. That they are designed to take the heat ? The back of the rotor which he didn't see my finger nail does stop on a groove. I looked in the service manual about take the rotor off and it doesn't say anything about pressing one on ? I have replaced rotors in vehicles and other repair so I'm not a newbie there, have they left out the part of pressing the new rotor, since that would be a no brainier. Do you see what I'm saying ?

·
Registered
1,637 Posts

The rotors on our bikes are of the full-floating design , the braking surface is seprate from the mounting area and a connected togather by the small round things you see. This design is suppsosed to maintain better pad/rotor contact no matter what kind of flexing the wheel/rotor/caliper are doing.
When it comes to replacing the rotor ,once you remove the wheel all you do is undo the allen head bolts that are around the very center of the rotor and pull the whole thing off. When reinstalling the rotor make sure you take your time and tighten the bolt evenly so not to warp the new rotor.
The only pressing that are done on these rotors is done by the manufaturer when they mate the braking surface to the mounting base ,after that no press is required or needed :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Thanks Bonehead. I took the bike to two different dealers and they said it doesn't need to be replaced. I have replaced the brake pedal and am trying to iron out how I want it. I will post some pics so you can see what I have done. Its going to be abit different than norm, but my ankle situation is not the norm.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Well it works, I might do some minor adjustment to it. Debating whether or not to replace the pad with a kuyak pad and leave the size intact or cut it down and put one. Here are some other pics at different angles  http://www.frappr.com/?a=viewphoto&id=1692562&pid=2514052

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well the dealer adjusted and said I had a few inches of play before activating the brake, but as you can see I didn't.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is the reason I have had so much trouble with the brake pedal. Its keep me from buying a bike for the longest time with the thought of re-injuring it. But now I guess I think what will be will be, the 9's a great bike and I really enjoying riding it. I just need to do a crash course in learning about bikes since this is my first one and I have had a bad experience with the competence of the dealer where I purchased it.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Glad the new pedal is working for you.............and I see you got the pic thing figured out :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks

Hey I am very tempted to start a new post about the brake pedal. I just want to let anyone else out there that has similar problems like me to know you can you a c90 brake pedal. Whatca think don't want to double post but also want to make sure I get the word out. :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: I am so glad the issue is resolved. I just need to watch locking it up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts