M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some tech guys who might know more about the 109 ecu could maybe answer this one. I know cars ecu's can be flashed with new software as updates come along, so maybe suzuki will be able to reprogram the FI so the throttle is less nervous. It might be a simple download at service time. I'm feathering the clutch, coasting around sharp bends, rolling the gas on gently in stop-go traffic, but that throttle makes city riding really hard and one slip up and the bike will spit me off into traffic beacuse of the throttle or driveline lash or both. Its real hard work when you have to cruise ( easy when you gas it ) Cant help the lash but maybe the throttle can be softened by a re-flashed ecu ?
Thanks all.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I think the throttle response on this bike is actually the result of some wierd cam setup that zuki ported over from their sport bikes. My buddy rides a Hyabusa and has ridden mine and said it surprised him how similar the throttle worked. Not to mention that it felt like it had enough power to keep him happy (he's very hard to please in this regard... as evidenced by his 3 tickets in as many years for > 170 mph in a 70.. his lawyer is very good I'm guessing 8) )

Anyway, I don't think flashing the ECU would have much affect on it. Just my .02, as I haven't seen the way its set up mechanically yet, but this subject was addressed in a previoius thread and that was the consensus.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
J R said:
If you really wanted to get into it you could come up with a different throttle pully system or throttle ratio and change the way it feels.Its been done before on the Busa,s but I dont remeber how the guys where doing um or who sold the stuff.You may find you get used to it after ya ride the bike some :dontknow: :doorag:
I was almost used to it after less than a week.. although I'm planning to add a throttle boss when I change my grips out so that I can get a bit more control. I actually kind of like it, makes the bike feel much stronger coming out of turns and rolling on in a straight away.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
J R said:
You may find you get used to it after ya ride the bike some :dontknow: :doorag:
Bingo. I can maneuver my 109 through any parking lot, and through any tight turns without even thinking about it anymore. It's just something that takes developing a feel for. I actually find making a left turn at an intersection to be more jerky than maneuvers in a parking lot unless I quickly shift to second gear before getting into the turn.

As for the comment about the 109 throttle being very similar to the Hyabusa, I found the opposite. I rode a friend of mine's Hyabusa a few weeks ago, and choked it down the first time. It took more throttle movement to get it rolling than the 109 does. I also realized quickly that sportbikes are not my cup of tea. I have only ridden cruisers, and I had trouble finding the foot pegs and shifter/brake. Just felt awkward to me. Of course, it's all what you get used to, and I'm used to legs out front.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
What I think would really kill me on a sport bike these days is my shoulders. Don't think they would hold up well to the riding position. Fun as heck, going to try and talk my bro with the busa to trade me for a ride and see how I like it.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
DaltonH said:
I was almost used to it after less than a week.. although I'm planning to add a throttle boss when I change my grips out so that I can get a bit more control. I actually kind of like it, makes the bike feel much stronger coming out of turns and rolling on in a straight away.
when you install larger grips like the ISO's it takes another week to relearn the throttle...

Sledzep

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
thats kewl, since I've been off the bike for a month I'll probably need to relearn it again anyway, and since I should have a Big Air kit, new grips (with a throttle boss), new foot-pegs, riser extensions and some other parts waiting for me when I DO finally get home, it will almost be a new bike anyway 8)

One nice thing about these "all-expense-paid-vacations(?)" I keep getting sent on.. lets me build up my bank account quite nicely, but damn if I wouldn't rather be home most of the time!

·
Registered
401 Posts
To those who have a service manual check out ch.5 I was so close of getting the setup for $550 sds tool and software(Long fubar story) Anyone out there can figure out the connection for a generic SDS tool I can get the software which ( Is not even out yet) Research it and tell me if you don't see the potential :read:

·
Registered
401 Posts
Thanks, but I guess I am part computer nut, if you look at some of the screen shots from the manual it looks pretty tweakable. But each dealership gets one and only one, since there is only a few bikes with this capability they don't know it potential. Cars basically came out with this option 10yrs ago and now it is finally here for bikes so it is all new. But hell I'm beating a dead horse unless there is a sds tool that can be got from some where other than Suzuki that is compatible with their software. They had it on order for me then they changed their minds and said it was a dealer only item :edit: But oh well

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Actually, there are dyno shops all over the country that do this type of tuning on Suzuki's. I called the one closest to where I live and they said that they'd never tuned a 109, but that in all honesty, tuning was tuning and they'd make it perfect or they wouldn't charge. And out of a strong desire to not cause damage to my engine I made sure to ask if they used a knock sensor when tuning and they said they could if I thought it was something to be concerned about.

They also do PCIII programing, so I'll probably take my bike to them when its ready to go. Still trying to decide on whether I want to get a JR-Style (you do seem to be one of the two guys to copy bro 8) , even tho I do think Hal has you on power hands down at the moment :bigthumbsup: ) 2-into-1 exhaust, or actually get my brother to help me weld something up for it.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I am not sure who you are speaking to on your last quote, not i ? But I have had my bike dyno'ed and its kicking 116 but without the jsd-3m mod which Iwould push it over 120 I have recently changed plugs to 10's and plan on putting the 3m back on after I get it tested to make sure the jsd is right. I had the bike jump to 2500rpm once when I started it and it wouldn't go away until I restarted it. I have first baffle completely removed and all walls gone and skeeter intake since I miss calculated on the left side for the K&N, which will be fixed soon. But I think the bike kicks arss. Cruising 90 and hit the throttle and you can feel the power. Broke a throttle return cable the other day but it was my own fault of putting to much pressure on the cable when installing the kury grips I figure I weakened it.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Teka, Yosh box, and others can made modifications to the stock ECU.

Improper or lack of tuning is not a good thing. If you make any changes to the intake or exhuast of a Suzuki motorcycle you MUST compensate for it.
A pc3 is simply the easiest and the best that you can do for your bike.... when it comes to tuning.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
jeffw said:
Teka, Yosh box, and others can made modifications to the stock ECU.

Improper or lack of tuning is not a good thing. If you make any changes to the intake or exhuast of a Suzuki motorcycle you MUST compensate for it.
A pc3 is simply the easiest and the best that you can do for your bike.... when it comes to tuning.
I think the Yosh box can be used on just about and ECU controlled Suzuki. I'm pretty sure they specifically advertise it works on the 109.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I'm sorry I forgot to mention its done, PCIII was installed last month and the dyno proved the stock map form the PCIII was doing it right with what I got, seen it with my own eyes.

Hey Jeff there is always a chane of something going a miss, do you test the jsd before you ship ? If so How ?

·
Registered
514 Posts
BearCom said:
do you test the jsd before you ship ? If so How ?
I have a test bed that I apply the proper voltage to (with a toggle switch and proper volatages applied to the JSD... sort of like a JSD-4 that I have not made yet)....... I measure before and after I flip the switch. I should see two different voltages (neutral= 5.08volts and 4th=3.68volts).

With the JSD-1M and JSD-2M, I just measure the resistance to insure it's 2700 ohms.

·
Registered
401 Posts
jeffw said:
I have a test bed that I apply the proper voltage to (with a toggle switch and proper volatages applied to the JSD... sort of like a JSD-4 that I have not made yet)....... I measure before and after I flip the switch. I should see two different voltages (neutral= 5.08volts and 4th=3.68volts).

With the JSD-1M and JSD-2M, I just measure the resistance to insure it's 2700 ohms.
What is the proper voltages ?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts