M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was going to buy k+ns for the bike but i did a bit of homework and found these .. will they deliver colder air if you block the rear of the airbox off and are they any good ? i know they are from china but they look like all the other ones from around the world ...

·
Registered
2009 / VZR1800
3,706 Posts
was going to buy k+ns for the bike but i did a bit of homework and found these .. will they deliver colder air if you block the rear of the airbox off and are they any good ? i know they are from china but they look like all the other ones from around the world ...

Without knowing how fine is the filter mesh itself and its square inch area in comparison to KN SU-1806 its hard to compare. If you block the hot air you will definitely deliver colder air from outside of these, I would like to compare openings on the back of these versus openings of the KN SU-1806.
They do look nice and the price is attractive as well...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Without knowing how fine is the filter mesh itself and its square inch area in comparison to KN SU-1806 its hard to compare. If you block the hot air you will definitely deliver colder air from outside of these, I would like to compare openings on the back of these versus openings of the KN SU-1806.
They do look nice and the price is attractive as well...
the way i look at it is the factory filter breaths warm air in from a hole at the rear as you know and that hole in my opinion is smaller than the original pipework that goes to these ..
here's a guy fitting something similar but he doesn't block the hole at the rear ...

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,086 Posts
They look to be close to the same size as the LA Choppers XXX, Arlen Ness, or Kuryakyn of the same type of design. Honestly, almost anything is an upgrade over the stock filters. Those look like they have a mesh type filter similar to a K&N, so you can clean and reoil them.

I noticed in the link you provided that their are other sellers offering the same intake for less too.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
The Barrons/LA Chopper intakes like this are good quality and move plenty of air.
I am running Barron XXX intakes on my bike at the moment.

The Chinese knock offs are built a bit cheaper and the filters are not usually oiled on the knock offs. Not sure if the filter material that comes on the knock offs is even an meant to accept oil.

Barron and LA Chopper intakes are usually around $400.00 (USD)

BCS

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,086 Posts
The Chinese knock offs are built a bit cheaper and the filters are not usually oiled on the knock offs. Not sure if the filter material that comes on the knock offs is even an meant to accept oil.
BCS
Those say they are "Clean and Reuseable",. Normally it would say "Cleanable and Reoilable"

They might mean you can blow them out or vacuum them, who knows.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
guys thank you for all your help .. so so far i have cut the oem exhausts down by 13 inches and removed baffles and deleted the exhaust servo .. my tuner has the pcv for me and i am going to order the air filter system i have showed you .. is there anything else to consider before taking it to the tuner ? i'm only interested in having the bike fueling proper and running sweet ....

·
Registered
137 Posts
I would highly recommend forgetting the PCV and going with a full ECM flash. I had mine done after installing Hard Krome Side Burner exhaust, Forcewinder intakes, PAIR block off plates, the old pin 7 mod for the exhaust servo, installed a Crankcase catch can/breather. It is now a totally different beast. Smoother, tons of power right off idle. The rev limiter was moved up a little to match the red line on the tach. I pretty much can lug it around without it bucking like a bronco. I can brake it loose in first and second just by twisting the throttle. A flash from BCS is cheaper than the PCV, and way more effective. Also, he adjusted the temp down on when the cooling fan kicks on. In the head of summer, I have not felt the burning sensation from the fan.

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
LA Choppers BigAir xXx on mine for several years, since 2014 I recall. Also installed the same on a friend's bike in 2015. They work great since they are so large in comparison to any other filter setup out there. You have to like intake noise with these.
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system
Tire Sky Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would highly recommend forgetting the PCV and going with a full ECM flash. I had mine done after installing Hard Krome Side Burner exhaust, Forcewinder intakes, PAIR block off plates, the old pin 7 mod for the exhaust servo, installed a Crankcase catch can/breather. It is now a totally different beast. Smoother, tons of power right off idle. The rev limiter was moved up a little to match the red line on the tach. I pretty much can lug it around without it bucking like a bronco. I can brake it loose in first and second just by twisting the throttle. A flash from BCS is cheaper than the PCV, and way more effective. Also, he adjusted the temp down on when the cooling fan kicks on. In the head of summer, I have not felt the burning sensation from the fan.
yeah that's what i would want to do but i live in Belfast and it means me sending my ecu to the states and then paying all the taxes and other crap they sting you for when you want it back ... my tuner can do the flash but he said he can't do some of the things you guys can get done ...

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
I've run mine with a tuning device under the seat since 2010. I'm not going to get mine flashed, regardless if it's the best way to go. My bike runs absolutely fantastic IMHO. Throttle response is crisp, and I simply don't care if a flash gets me a few more h.p. Seat of the pants can't feel a few h.p. I have a tuned up B-King if I want to feel h.p. My M109R will never do that good.

·
Registered
2009 / VZR1800
3,706 Posts
yeah that's what i would want to do but i live in Belfast and it means me sending my ecu to the states and then paying all the taxes and other crap they sting you for when you want it back ... my tuner can do the flash but he said he can't do some of the things you guys can get done ...
I would try to talk to local Suzuki street bikers, they usualy have
their sports bikes ECUs flashed, there is probably another tuner
in around your area who can do the proper flash. Dont give up,
investigate..
JMHO.. Cheers 🍻

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would try to talk to local Suzuki street bikers, they usualy have
their sports bikes ECUs flashed, there is probably another tuner
in around your area who can do the proper flash. Dont give up,
investigate..
JMHO.. Cheers 🍻
trust me iv been on the road for 38 years and i live on a tiny island so there is very little over here ... i had to send my last ecu to Ivans partner in Greece for my z900rs ... a dyno run with a pcv will do me rightly i would be happy enough ...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts