M109 Rider Forums banner

Like the Can Am Spyder??

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well yesterday sarah and i went to the local can am store to ride a spyder as we are thinking about adding one to the stable. and i am going to say that you HAVE to ride one of these things to fully judge it. the stigma that surrounds this thing from most of the MC community is generally bad. but all i have to say is ride one.

i rode the RS MT version

well on my ride i had straights, curves, highway and crappy surfaces to ride on and it was flawless. power delivery was spot on, but maybe a little unassuming. i was pulling out of the parking lot on to a 45MPH zone clicked threw 3 gears; look down and im doing 85!!! and i wasnt even hard into it at all.

highway was good it has slight buffeting at speed but that can be fixed easliy. everything else as far as wind coverage is very good. here is one of very few negatives i found on the spyder. it feels like it wonders a little in the ruts of the road, but than again when i get in them on the 9 it wonders to. i asked sarah (who was behind me on her SV) if it looked like i was wondering all over and she said no. so maybe it was just me.

handling the curves it is super fun. if you have ridden a snowmobile, or a quad you will feel very at home on the spyder. all you have to do is hang your ass off the seat and hit it. here is were i found another problem (which i think could be remedied) coming out of the last set of "fun stuff" i hit it real hard and the traction control took over and reduced engine power; i know that is what is supposed to do that but i think it would be tons of fun to drift this thing threw that stuff. and im sure that it could be turned off or reduced.

on the crappy stuff it is as good as a car.....no surprise here. very stable very comfy.

so my overall impression of the spyder is very nice bike/ride/toy what ever you want to call it. with a few modifications it would be a awesome sport tourer. its kind nice not having to put your feet down at stop lights and signs, but a little out of touch from the MC feeling. and also there is no brake lever as it is all handled by the foot brake. it has progressive front to rear braking which is a little weird at first. well im not going to lie.....the whole thing needs a little getting used to, but once you do its like riding nirvana.

Can Am Spyder :bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:

i know that i will get flamed for liking these things but if you havent ridden one...you really need to to judge it. we will be getting one for her, and hell i might get one as well.:dontknow: (the 109 is not going anywhere)

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
I road one of my bud's and the only way I'd get one is If I was physically unable to keep a two wheeler up.

I'd get a hot convertible!

I will say That Lamonster smoked us The time he joined us on his!
Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
specs, has more compression than the 9 LOL

not by much though.

2010 Can-Am Spyder Roadster RS Specifications

Get an insurance quote
Motorcycle Insurance:

IdentificationModel Type Sport-TouringBASE MSRP(US) $16,499.00 DealersCan-Am DealersWarranty 24InsuranceGet a Quote
Engine: Engine Brand Name Rotax®Engine Type V TwinCylinders 2Engine Stroke 4-StrokeHorsepower (bhp/kW) 106 / 79Horsepower RPM 8500Torque (Ft Lbs/Nm) 77 / 104.3Torque RPM 6250Cooling LiquidValves 8Valves Per Cylinder 4Valve Configuration DOHCBore (mm/in) 97 / 3.82Stroke (mm/in) 68 / 2.68Displacement (cc/ci) 998 / 60.9Compression Ratio 10.8:1Starter ElectricBattery Amps 21Fuel Requirements Regular??????????Emissions Standards Meets Euro 2 EmissionsRam Air Induction NoFuel Type GasAlternator Watts 500Fuel Injector YesFuel Injector Size (mm) 57Carburetor NoCarburetion Type Fuel InjectedTransmission: Transmission Type ManualNumber Of Speeds 5Primary Drive (Rear Wheel) BeltReverse YesFinal Drive Ratio 2.82Wheels & Tires: Wheels Composition AluminumTube / Tubeless TubelessFront Wheel Width (in) 5Rear Wheel Width (in) 7Chromed NoFront Tire Width 165Front Tire Aspect Ratio 65Front Wheel Diameter 14Rear Tire Width 225Rear Tire Aspect Ratio 50Rear Wheel Diameter 15Front Tire (Full Spec) KR21 165/65 R14Rear Tire (Full Spec) KR21 225/50 R15Brakes: Front Brake Type Dual Hydraulic DiscFront Brake Diameter (in/mm) 10.2 / 260Front Brake Rotor Width (in/mm) 0.25 / 6Front Caliper Pistons 4Rear Brake Type Hydraulic DiscRear Brake Diameter (in/mm) 10.2 / 260Rear Brake Rotor Width (in/mm) 0.25 / 6Rear Caliper Pistons 1Anti-Lock Brakes StandardLinked Brake System Front to Rear StandardSuspension: Front Suspension Type Independent Double A-ArmFront Travel (in/mm) 5.7 / 145Front Adjustable Fork Pre-Load YesFront Central Suspension Strut NoSteering Damper YesRear Suspension Type Twin Sided Swing ArmRear Travel (in/mm) 5.7 / 145Rear Adjustable Shock / Spring Pre-Load YesNumber Rear Shock Absorbers 1Air Adjustable NoSteering: Steering Control HandlebarTechnical Specifications: Length (ft) 8.75Width (in/mm) 59.3 / 1506Height (in/mm) 45.1 / 1145Wheelbase (in/mm) 68 / 1727Ground Clearance (in/mm) 4.5 / 115Length (ft/ft) 8Length (ft/in) 9Dry Weight (lbs/kg) 699 / 317.1Payload Capacity (lbs/kgs) 440 / 200GVWR (lbs/kgs) 1188 / 540Fuel Capacity (gal/l) 6.6 / 25Storage Capacity (cuft/gal/l) 1.6 / 10 / 44Engine Displacement to Weight (cc) 1.43Horsepower To Weight (hp) 0.15Seats: Seat Type One-PieceAdjustable NoSeat Material VinylSeat Location Driver and PassengerFolding NoSeat Height (in/mm) 29 / 737Number Of Seats 2Backrest Logo Plate NoBackrest Type FixedBackrest Location DriverLumbar Adjustment NoGrab Rail or Strap StandardExterior: Frame SteelBody Material PlasticHand Grip Material RubberFoot Peg Location Driver and PassengerAdjustable NoBrake Rotor / Caliper Guard YesChain Guard NoDrive Shaft Guard NoFork Guards NoSaddle Bag Guard NoBelt Guard YesHand Guards NoBrush Guard NoHeel Guards YesLight Guard NoChoke Knob Cover NoDrive Shaft Cover NoSide Cover YesTire Valve Cap YesValve Stems YesCarburetor Cover NoFront Fender Material PlasticRear Fender Material PlasticTop Crown StandardLower Fairing StandardSpoiler StandardHandlebars StandardLicense Plate StandardInstrumentation: Digital Instrumentation StandardClock StandardTachometer StandardTrip Odometer StandardSpeedometer StandardTemperature Warning Type GaugeFuel Level Warning Type GaugeMulti-Lingual Instrumentation StandardPricing: Warranty (Condition) LimitedZero Price Schema 0NADA Value Average 11775NADA Value Low 10565NADA Value High 14530Identification: Generic Type (Primary) Sport-TouringManufacturer Country CanadaIntroduction Year 2008Manufacturer Recommend Minimum Age 16MIC Model Segment ON-HWY TouringNADATrimID 57160CRS -> NADA Map 6200025880Mounts: Windshield Mounts StandardPaint & Finish: Metallic NoGlass: Folding YesWindshield Lowers NoHeight Adjustable NoTinted YesHeight LowStorage: Lockable Storage StandardHelmet Locks StandardHelmet Storage StandardGlove Box / Dash Storage Capacity (gal/l) 10 / 44Lights: Headlight Mounts StandardHalogen Headlight (s) StandardConvenience: Engine Immobilizer StandardHandlebar Lock Standardhttp://www.motorcycle.com/specs/can-am/sport-touring/2010/spyder/roadster-rs/detail.html

edit, that turned out like chit LOL here is the link

http://www.motorcycle.com/specs/can-am/sport-touring/2010/spyder/roadster-rs/detail.html

·
Registered
295 Posts
:agree::agree::agree:

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
I would like to own one one day. I am leaning more toward the RT version for touring. I would like for them to have a little more power for a machine that weighs between 900 and 1,000 lb.s. I think it should have at least as much power as the goldwing.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the RS only weighs in at 699 lbs.....:eek:

and its got plenty of ass behind it. dont let the 998cc fool you.

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
I would like to own one one day. I am leaning more toward the RT version for touring. I would like for them to have a little more power for a machine that weighs between 900 and 1,000 lb.s. I think it should have at least as much power as the goldwing
On the goldwing 2 more cylinders will only gain ya 10 HP, Nice torque thou!! ^-^

Horsepower (bhp/kW) 118 / 88.1 Torque (Ft Lbs/Nm) 125 / 169.5

6 cylinders and just a tad bigger than a 9....Displacement (cc/ci) 1832 / 111.8

http://www.motorcycle.com/specs/honda/touring/2010/gold-wing-reg/audio---comfort/detail.html

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
ive ridden one too!! It will smoke that back tire easily!! I didnt like the 4 wheeler/snowmobile feel,but it was very cool!!!!! (sample one for yourself everyone!!!)

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I know if my wife ever says that she is ready to ride that the Can-Am will be the first one on the list for her to ride.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,091 Posts
I'd like to have one. They get at least as much attention as a 109, can carry stuff, and are a good stable machine. Just not quite ready for one yet.

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
Maybe

when we get old and gray Zoom!! lol
I'd like to have one. They get at least as much attention as a 109, can carry stuff, and are a good stable machine. Just not quite ready for one yet.

·
Banned
15,179 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
I road a friend's the steering is a little twichey but the more you ride I guess you would get used to it for the money I think I could find another toy!

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I would love to take one for a spin... this is the ONLY way I will ever get the wife on the back, she said she would feel very comfortable riding on one of these... she'll never ride 2 up with me on the 9 :dontknow:.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Dang it I told Sarah not to let you wear that rainbow boot. Now look at ya. :D I have never ridden one, but I do think they are an interesting vehicle. I certainly wouldn't count one out. As we always say, if you like it who cares what other say.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I ride them every year here for the bike week and biketoberfest. I love it. It such a unique ride and you are right it gets up really well. If I could afford one it would sit right next to the 9. They are awesome get one if you can!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts