M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the opportunity to demo a CAN-AM Spyder in Montreal, QC (Canada)today. It was in the parking lot of the DIX30 shopping center. I first have to say the "9" has ruined may demo rides for me but this one was different. It felt like a four wheeler with a twist grip. I did like the way it handled and the stability. The demo guys preached the R&D in the traction control and breaking. Now we didn't get to take it out on the Highway but I was able to open it up on the service road. (This is where the "9" ruins many rides) I would have liked to have felt a little more in the ass end. All in all it was a good time hell even the Harley guys were there. After the demo the Harley guy who knew I was the only American in the group who did not speak French tells me "It's no Harley that's for sure."

I saw two "9's" at the demo and two more in the parking lot at the DIX30. There was a Dark Red and Blue LE M109R at the demo. I then saw two black ones in the parking lot. Nice to see all 109's out and about. :clap2:

·
Registered
810 Posts
I was thinking about getting one for the wife. She's never ridden so I thought it would be a good bike, plus I would ride it sometimes.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Really easy to drive! They have an automatic that was super easy to opperate. I think the Spyder would be a great choice!

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
What do you want.

The one I was on was a 900cc and I think they all are.

It is different and fun for that reason, but seeing my neighbor's frequently now, I have gotten over the novelty of it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Spyder

The wife and I bought Premier Edition Spyders when they first came out. Fun at first, but the novelty quickly wore out. And after only owning them for about 3 months, the wifes Spyder developed a problem with the electronic power steering. The handlebars developed a tendency to lock up while traveling down the road!! So anyone thinking of buying one of these, do yourself a favor and really research steering problems, including the computer re-flash that was supposed to fix the problem. Needless to say, we got rid of both of ours.....

·
Registered
172 Posts
What do you want.

The one I was on was a 900cc and I think they all are.

It is different and fun for that reason, but seeing my neighbor's frequently now, I have gotten over the novelty of it.
The automatics have been known to have some troubles with them but I think they have got all the bugs worked out with that and the power steering issues have been worked out too.

They have a Rotax V-Twin with 998cc. Its the same engine they were using in the Aprilia 1000 race bikes but are tuned way down.

·
Registered
595 Posts
How potent is the engine??? Do they pull very hard when you get on the gas?

G

·
have done a couple of demo days on these....they ARE fun, they HAVE power, but they are also heavier...so the "power" is not as much as it could be....they sound wicked with aftermarket exhaust...and have no problems chirping the rear tire till traction control takes over :cop:....

I'd LOVE to own one of the new bagger styles...has damn near everything...however I wouldn't consider it a "motorcycle" rather a doorless miata :dontknow:

and the fulldresser model sits very nicely btw...

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
One of my co-workers had one, THEY SUCK :clap2:.

He ended up selling it to a buyer in Saudi Arabia. Its like a Geo Metro missing 1 wheel.

·
Registered
172 Posts
One of my co-workers had one, THEY SUCK :clap2:.

He ended up selling it to a buyer in Saudi Arabia. Its like a Geo Metro missing 1 wheel.
Why do you think they suck? No, they don't handle anything like a bike. They are actually fairly powerful...a higher revving engine. You keep the rpms up, and that baby will move! I have taken off at a traffic light and left a burn mark about 40 feet long easily...without using any front brakes...can't control the front brakes seperately because the front and rear are controled by one brake pedal.

I have had my wife's on the interstate to 128 mph according to the speedo...it's a bit off according to my GPS. And that's with my 260lb. azz on it. It can hang with my 9 in the curves if you use alot of body English. It sticks to the road like glue!

It's as I said, no bike. It's really a different kind of fun.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,047 Posts
I'd like to try one just to see what they are like, but I'd like to try one on the highway. Maybe in a few years when I'm too old to ride 2 wheels I might get one, but until then they are just a really interesting alternative.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Why do you think they suck? No, they don't handle anything like a bike. They are actually fairly powerful...a higher revving engine. You keep the rpms up, and that baby will move! I have taken off at a traffic light and left a burn mark about 40 feet long easily...without using any front brakes...can't control the front brakes seperately because the front and rear are controled by one brake pedal.

I have had my wife's on the interstate to 128 mph according to the speedo...it's a bit off according to my GPS. And that's with my 260lb. azz on it. It can hang with my 9 in the curves if you use alot of body English. It sticks to the road like glue!

It's as I said, no bike. It's really a different kind of fun.
i found myself doing the Spyder wave. no front brake just a foot brake. when slowing down i would grab for a front brake lever that wasn't there. :redfaced:

·
Registered
890 Posts
I rode A friend's can am when we were in north georga last year the steering is very twichy I guess if you rode it more you would get used to it don't think I care to own one.

·
Registered
624 Posts
If there is no way to lane split while im riding i may as well be in a cage, just don't see the point of being stuck in traffic on a bike if you can call a 3 wheeler a bike :doorag:!!
Wouldn't care how good it was, with 3 wheels it just doesn't work for me.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
I would like to get one of these to go with the nine, but I need to test drive one first. I would like to see one of these with an engine like the 2300 in the triumph rocket III. I feel like all that torque would be good at getting that weight moving.

·
Registered
8,311 Posts
Missed a demo day last year so i've never ridden one???

Was considering one for the wife..need to get her on one.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
CAN TO WORK TONIGHT & WHAT DO I SEE.

MY COWORKER BOUGHT ANOTHER SPYDER. WHAT A PIECE OF CRAP.

what a waist of money.

·
Registered
226 Posts
If there is no way to lane split while im riding i may as well be in a cage, just don't see the point of being stuck in traffic on a bike if you can call a 3 wheeler a bike :doorag:!!
Wouldn't care how good it was, with 3 wheels it just doesn't work for me.
Same here :agree:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts