M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently bought a 06 Burple Nine with only 4,100 miles. The original owner put lots of mods on it, chrome wheels with 10 in 280 on rear, cobra
dragster exhaust, 2000fi, bar risers, chome handle bar tac, lots of chrome
parts, etc. Way before buying my Nine I was on your site and have been
reading all your information and data on the Nine, very impressive. I would appreciate it if you could give me some info and links for these.

1-How do you lube, oil the cable for the tranny shifter? Mine is dry.

2-I have the stock kickstand, as you all know it sits in a position that
makes it hard to get your boot on it and push it down. I saw somewhere
on this site where they sell a clamp on type extension that sticks out
making it easy to push the kickstand down.

3-The battery in my Nine is orginal and is over 4 years old. So, as referenced on this site the best Nine battery is the ODDESSEY GMAN
which I ordered and got this week. However, after installing it due to
its modified design for the Nine the battery cover does not fit. GMAN'S
battery posts are higher than stock and won't let the cover snap on.
Has anyone figured out to get the cover on? Or live with-out it?

4-I just bought the Suzuki Tank Cover and the directions say to completely remove the Chrome Console. Can it be installed with only
taking the screw out and not the complete console? Any info on how
to easily install it would be welcome.

I have a Vmax and now the Nine, I love them both they are the King
of the curisers. Vmax has horsepower, Nine has torque, both are super
fast. My VMAX is first generation one and is completely customized.
I was going to get the new second generation Vmax, it may be super
fast but it is ugly and cannot compare to the Nine or the first gen. Vmax
for looks! I can tell you that the Nine is close to the first. gen.
Vmax in power and speed, even though the Vmax is a V4! No other
cruiser has ever beat my Vmax including the Rocket 3. I believe after
riding the Nine that it is faster than the Rocket 3 and any other cruiser
and some sport bikes.
THANKS FOR ANY HELP YOU CAN GIVE ME ON THE ABOVE ITEMS.
BILL

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
The battery holder on the bike needs to have the rubber piece in the bottom taken out. The new battery will fit pretty tight but it will fit and the cover will go back on.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Allen 109, you are the only one who has answered me regarding
my help questions. After visiting this site for some time and just becoming
a new Nine owner I was hoping for some help? I don't know why no one
but you has given me any help? One single reply! Maybe I am not in the
click, or maybe it is because I mentioned I also own a Vmax? I see others
on here own other bikes besides the Nine and no problem for them? Oh well I still enjoy the site and love my Nine, hopefully I will run into some
Nine owners who can help me out. Thanks, Bill

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Hey Won dont worry about it, probley most dont have the answers you need. This is a great community of riders. Welcome by the way. I have no answers for you as I have not delt with any of these mods your asking about.

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
When installing the tank cover, all you need to do is loosen the chrome bolt, lift it enough to fit the hole in the cover around the bolt bracket, then re-install the bolt. You will find that the loop that goes around the front of the tank is the hardest part. I modified mine by cutting that loop in half, attaching a small hook on the ends. Drilled a small hole in the back of the radiator shroud that the hook engages. The hooks came off of a small bungee cord, and after installing it I put some black heat shrink tube over it to make it invisible. I'll post pictures later today, if interested.

As for the clutch cable, use Dri-Slide, it is made for that exact purpose, lubing cables.

My battery is going on five years, and I will not change it until it is needed. Not all batterys are made the same, some will go further and longer than others. When the stock one gos, I'll replace it, until then, no way.

I suspect no one is answering about the kickstand gizmo because no one has ever seen or heard of it before. I have not, and would not buy one if it existed, as I have never had an issue with getting the stand down. Just checked DLP, and they show nothing on this gadget.

As for the V-Max, they are all awesome, but I prefer the look of the new one to the old one, think the old one is getting on in the years and quite old-looking. The new one ROCKS! Almost bought one in January 2010, but someone beat me to it. :-(

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
The battery holder on the bike needs to have the rubber piece in the bottom taken out. The new battery will fit pretty tight but it will fit and the cover will go back on.
thats funny gman says battery is a direct fit,that rubber piece you are talking about i assume is there for vibration reasons.
thanks for the heads up i wont being buying a gman battery,i hate having to change things for after market products.

·
Registered
39 Posts
When installing the tank bra you do need to remove the chrome top:bigthumbsup: in order for the bungee to stretch enough so you can slide the bra over the top. It's only 1 screw and very easy to do.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
thats funny gman says battery is a direct fit,that rubber piece you are talking about i assume is there for vibration reasons.
thanks for the heads up i wont being buying a gman battery,i hate having to change things for after market products.
The battery is a direct fit. the mat is just sitting in the bottom you just pull it out its not deep at all, the battery is great... and doesnt need vibration protection.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When installing the tank cover, all you need to do is loosen the chrome bolt, lift it enough to fit the hole in the cover around the bolt bracket, then re-install the bolt. You will find that the loop that goes around the front of the tank is the hardest part. I modified mine by cutting that loop in half, attaching a small hook on the ends. Drilled a small hole in the back of the radiator shroud that the hook engages. The hooks came off of a small bungee cord, and after installing it I put some black heat shrink tube over it to make it invisible. I'll post pictures later today, if interested.

As for the clutch cable, use Dri-Slide, it is made for that exact purpose, lubing cables.

My battery is going on five years, and I will not change it until it is needed. Not all batterys are made the same, some will go further and longer than others. When the stock one gos, I'll replace it, until then, no way.

I suspect no one is answering about the kickstand gizmo because no one has ever seen or heard of it before. I have not, and would not buy one if it existed, as I have never had an issue with getting the stand down. Just checked DLP, and they show nothing on this gadget.

As for the V-Max, they are all awesome, but I prefer the look of the new one to the old one, think the old one is getting on in the years and quite old-looking. The new one ROCKS! Almost bought one in January 2010, but someone beat me to it. :-(
Thanks for all the good info, really appreciate it. Yes, if you could post
photos of your tank bra I would be interested and would do that to mine,
lots easier and much better system. If you ever get to Fl. for bike week,
biketoberfest or what ever, call or drop me a line, I live in Ormond Beach
near Daytona so we could hook up, also if you need place to stay let
me know? Thanks Again, Bill

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I feel the same way, but already bought the Gman batters, I tried removing the rubber mat and battery still too high will not allow cover
back on. Also, the rubber mat is very thin, like a thin place mat, with or
with out it the battery is too high with the brackets Gman installs.
Hey, I see you live in Irwin Pa. I have a home in Pittsburgh only about
20 miles from Irwin, when in Pittsburgh I go to the car and bike cruises
in Irwin and Greensburg. I also have a home in Fl. near Daytona maybe we can hook up when I get back to Pgh. or when I am in Fl. I am a
Special Agent for the Feds so I travel and work the east coast from Pa.
to Fl. My personal email address is [email protected] Thanks, Bill

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Thanks for all the good info, really appreciate it. Yes, if you could post
photos of your tank bra I would be interested and would do that to mine,
lots easier and much better system. If you ever get to Fl. for bike week,
biketoberfest or what ever, call or drop me a line, I live in Ormond Beach
near Daytona so we could hook up, also if you need place to stay let
me know? Thanks Again, Bill
Here area a few pictures of the tank cover taken off of the bike. You need to cut the loop that goes around the front of the tank in two, then cut them to around 13 inches. Get two hooks off of a shorty bungie cord. Slide the hook onto the strap, then tie a knot in the end to keep the hook from coming off. The whole thing should end up being about one foot long on either side.

Put a piece of shrink wrap tubing over the whole thing to make it black.

Drill a small (#30) hole in back of shroud near top for hooks to engage.

I'll post pics on the bike , close-ups, later when I get it re-installed.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,865 Posts
I feel the same way, but already bought the Gman batters, I tried removing the rubber mat and battery still too high will not allow cover
back on. Also, the rubber mat is very thin, like a thin place mat, with or
with out it the battery is too high with the brackets Gman installs.
Bill, did you try it with the rubber tray out? I ask because even though it is thin, it has walls around it that the Gbat will sit on top of. I dropped mine in without removing it and found the cover didn't fit, but with the tray out the cover would snap back on. It does fit tight, the cover is actually bowed up slightly, but it snaps on and stays there OK. And some have had to remove the side rubber pads to get it to fit but I was able to leave mine in place. I did have to push it down with some effort too.

If the copper terminals that are installed on the battery are too much in the way, you can try bending them or remove them completely. They attach to the same type of terminals that the original battery has. Mine fit fine with the copper terminals in place though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts