M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've owned my 2005 C90 since March 2010. Picked it up with 2500 easy miles on the clock and now have just under 10,000 miles. I love how the bike handles and the power is, well.... OK. I am nervous about when the stator is going to crap out and there are a couple of other small issues as well.

My question is..... Is there much difference between the 109 and the 90? I'm 6'4 and a bit over 300 lbs and tour 2 up with the wife so I could use a larger bike but don't want to make the change if there's not that much difference.

Any insightful advice?

Thanks,

Tim

·
Registered
184 Posts
If you have to ask, then stick with the C90 :joke:

·
Registered
216 Posts
I've owned my 2005 C90 since March 2010. Picked it up with 2500 easy miles on the clock and now have just under 10,000 miles. I love how the bike handles and the power is, well.... OK. I am nervous about when the stator is going to crap out and there are a couple of other small issues as well.

My question is..... Is there much difference between the 109 and the 90? I'm 6'4 and a bit over 300 lbs and tour 2 up with the wife so I could use a larger bike but don't want to make the change if there's not that much difference.

Any insightful advice?

Thanks,

Tim
Hi Dude....I am 300lb....had a C90...now have a C109....always ride 2 up.... I would never go back....I love the C109, we both do. Fits us well and is alot more comfortable, Fully recommend the change.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
my friend owns a 2005 C90 and i have driven it quite a few times when doing some regular maintenance for him. we both test drove a C109 last year because he was in a similar situation and wanted to make the switch. let me just say, that hands down, there is a huge difference in power from the C90 to the C109. and since you mention that you do a lot of 2-up riding, i would definitely suggest the C109.

btw, :welcome: to the forum.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have operated both bikes. My wife has a C90T and I have a C109R. I do the maintenance on both bikes. THe C109 is a much heavier bike and requires a heavy hand to muscle it around. I rode the C109 through the experienced rider course and it was a real challenge. The C90 on the other hand, has a very low Center of gravity and almost rides itself through the same course that took so much work on the C109. I have no idea how the 109 would behave Two-Up as I ride solo. I like the 109 and most of my riding is open road or commuting on 4 lane highway. I have thrown the 109 through the twistys on a couple of occasions and done well. I do like the surplus power, who doesn't? But, if I were to do more "In Town" type of riding, stop and go stuff, I think the C90 might be an easier ride...unless I was trying to smoke another Harley...again!

·
Registered
643 Posts
i have never rode a C90 ,but for 2-up the 109 is awesome, I go 240 and the wife ain't no 100lb'er :duck: it was like she wasn't even back there , except when she might give a lil squiggle at a traffic light to adjust.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have operated both bikes. My wife has a C90T and I have a C109R. I do the maintenance on both bikes. THe C109 is a much heavier bike and requires a heavy hand to muscle it around. I rode the C109 through the experienced rider course and it was a real challenge. The C90 on the other hand, has a very low Center of gravity and almost rides itself through the same course that took so much work on the C109. I have no idea how the 109 would behave Two-Up as I ride solo. I like the 109 and most of my riding is open road or commuting on 4 lane highway. I have thrown the 109 through the twistys on a couple of occasions and done well. I do like the surplus power, who doesn't? But, if I were to do more "In Town" type of riding, stop and go stuff, I think the C90 might be an easier ride...unless I was trying to smoke another Harley...again!
The muscling around is something that I'm curious about..... I ride allot in the mountains of SW Washington and Columbia River Gorge. Love the twisties!

Guess I'll just have to go for it. :D

Tim

·
Registered
729 Posts
The muscling around is something that I'm curious about..... I ride allot in the mountains of SW Washington and Columbia River Gorge. Love the twisties!

Tim
That stretch from Troutdale to Multnomah Falls on the old gorge highway is a lot of fun on a 109. The 109 is heavy, but it's pretty nimble for it's size. I grind my boards frequently in tight corners. Riding it during summer weekends in the gorge is definitely an "exercise" in low speed balance as you make your way through the crowd at the falls.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The previous bike was a V-Strom DL1000. That bike handled like a sport bike! The local LEO's were pulling me over on a regular basis to remind me of what the speed limit was :D The C90 took some getting used to but it did slow me down.

I guess I'll be checking for the hot deals over the winter.

Another question..... Do the saddle bags on the RT keep the rain out?

Thanks,

Tim

·
Registered
25 Posts
The previous bike was a V-Strom DL1000. That bike handled like a sport bike! The local LEO's were pulling me over on a regular basis to remind me of what the speed limit was :D The C90 took some getting used to but it did slow me down.

Thanks,

Tim
The Factory Bags are an OK starter, but serious bags are in order if you want to make use of them.
Try Tsukayu, if you want a waterproof bag.
--M

·
Registered
415 Posts

Tim
Come on over to Renton and take mine for a spin!
It's far from stock, but it'll give you an idea of what these C109R's can really do and they do corner well, just slightly limited on lean angle so the boards are a bit scraped up, but I like it that way!:bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
415 Posts

Thanks,

Tim
I can connect you with the local dealer that has two in stock, they'll make you a good deal on. I get nothing from connecting you except a slap on the back. But hey, better than one in the face!!!!:bigthumbsup:

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
I can connect you with the local dealer that has two in stock, they'll make you a good deal on. I get nothing from connecting you except a slap on the back. But hey, better than one in the face!!!!:bigthumbsup:
LOL Ouch,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
415 Posts
LOL Ouch,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
How you doing stranger?

Heard you got a little ouch on your gas tank.......you rested from your long trip yet?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Come on over to Renton and take mine for a spin!
It's far from stock, but it'll give you an idea of what these C109R's can really do and they do corner well, just slightly limited on lean angle so the boards are a bit scraped up, but I like it that way!:bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:
Thanks for the offer Gary. I may just take you up on that. I noticed a hot deal on an 08 RT in either Lakewood or Auburn, the blue and white with red pin stripe!!:drool: Somewhere a little over $10k. I'm still working on getting the wife on board.
I should have stopped in to the dealer after our 11 hour day coming back from Whistler, she was cursing that little pillion seat on the C90.

Tim

·
Registered
415 Posts
Thanks for the offer Gary. I may just take you up on that. I noticed a hot deal on an 08 RT in either Lakewood or Auburn, the blue and white with red pin stripe!!:drool: Somewhere a little over $10k. I'm still working on getting the wife on board.
I should have stopped in to the dealer after our 11 hour day coming back from Whistler, she was cursing that little pillion seat on the C90.

Tim
Go to RentonMotorcycles.com and check out their two '08's a Maroon C109R brand new 0 miles and a Black/Grey used with minimal miles. Your pricing is accurate and throw my name around and they'll either hang up or laugh. They will negotiate if you are serious. Either way they will know I will check to make sure they took good care of you.....and if I'm lucky it will only be a smack on the back and not on the face coming for me!!!! :bigthumbsup:

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
about a 5" ouch

putting the bike back in the truck stalled the engine, restarted and a lil too much gas, The ramp shot out from underneath the bike, it landed on the tailgate, PHEWWWWWWWWW it stayed right there. There was 3 guys watching the whole deal and when I looked up to ask for help, They were all gone, LOL Anyway I put down the kickstand asnd lifted the back up into the truck, well the stand didnt stay in the open position and when the bike rolled forward I couldn't hold it up. Man they are heavy. It fell over and the tank landed on the bed rail argggggggggg Already found a brandnew one in Canada

I will put in a new fuel filter while I have it torn down. I won't have the new tank in time for the oyster run, so she is going with a boo boo lol

How you doing stranger?

Heard you got a little ouch on your gas tank.......you rested from your long trip yet?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Let's just call it a battle scar and next time grab a couple of us, we won't run away when you need help!!!!!!:D

See you at the Oyster Run.....won't be so hard to spot you amongst all the other 9's now will it? LOL(couldn't resist!)

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
SmartA$$ :hot:
ya know,,, I think I gained 3 MPH with that aerodynamic ding LOL

1 - 20 of 35 Posts