M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on a 600 lb. mid-sized cruiser right now, but would like to move up both in size, weight and power, so I came here to learn more about the C109R & RT. I want to stick with water cooling, so naturally Kawasaki's 2053cc Vulcan was also a consideration, but I'm hoping that a few of you have ridden both bikes, and will tell me (IMHO) which of the two edges out the other in handling, as they must be close to each other. I also know that any forum has an understandable bias for it's favorite models, (that's only natural,) but I would really like to know this, and for the following good reason:

I have compared the specs for both touring model bikes, and find that they are quite similar to each other, and also now wonder if that was more than just a manufacturer's coincidence??? Here are my specs, (got them off the net,) as to just how close the two touring bikes really are to each other in some ways, (not counting their drive systems):

1 lb. difference in weight (!!!), 1.8" difference in length, .8" difference in wheel base, HP figures vary, but some sources have both bikes yielding 116 HP, .15 second difference in 1/4 mile times, 1" difference in seat height, and the obvious similarity in that they are both big, powerful, and BEAUTIFUL touring cruisers.

I have a current leaning towards the C109R or RT, partially because of the endless complaints that I hear of as to the VN2000's noisy belt drive, costing the riders worn pulleys, damaged seals, damaged bearings and all-round general annoyance. But setting that issue aside, these bikes are so close in some of the ways that would naturally affect their handling characteristics, are they dead even in handling ease...or what?

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I haven't ridden a 2000.
But I have ridden my C109RT for 36000 miles. It is a great bike for piling on the miles. It does feel a bit heavy when stopped, but when moving it is pretty nimble.

I have put numerous + 500 mile day on it and many 2 up.

I have also run the twisties with some sport bikes and it keeps up pretty well.

I started on the C50 for a year and then went to the C109. It is a much better bike for 2 up.
I believe the C109 is a higher revving bike compared to the 2000 also. Which makes it a little more fun when getting on it.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
88 Posts
I tried the 2000 when I went to buy my bike after trying the 2 of them I of course went with the C109 RT over the 2000 the 109 had better throttle response and was way more comfortable to me ! I am 6-1 and 265 lbs. . however I have learned that the 109 has its little quirks also , such as when you do an oil change you better put the exact right amout back in or you get oil puking, also the rectifiers in many of the C109's have gone out relativly soon after purchase ( mine went out at 1735 miles. I was not happy.) however my dealer took care of it without any hassel. oh and the 109 will leave other big cruisers in the dust , ( trust me I have a buddy who now hates his 2010 CVO street glide, due to being smoked by my C109 RT.). I also wish the aftermarket would catch up with it on the C109 . I LOVE MY C109RT !!:bigthumbsup::doorag:

·
Registered
480 Posts
I have ridden both and my dad owns a c109r. The bike is awesome. I am blown away it isnt more popular then it is. Great cruiser, but when you stomp it, it runs like a wild ape. The 2000 is a good cruiser, but to me why not have the extra go when you just want to feel it every once in awhile. I was amazed at how slow the 2000 was with its huge motor. The Stratoliner is like that also. Huge motor but really no go to it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have ridden both and my dad owns a c109r. The bike is awesome. I am blown away it isnt more popular then it is. Great cruiser, but when you stomp it, it runs like a wild ape. The 2000 is a good cruiser, but to me why not have the extra go when you just want to feel it every once in awhile. I was amazed at how slow the 2000 was with its huge motor. The Stratoliner is like that also. Huge motor but really no go to it.
Even though this thread was about handling difference, I know that some riders cast stones at the VN2000 because it uses push rods. I happen to personally love the appearance of push rod engines, but I am sure that I've heard that Single Over Head Cams beat Push Rods in performance...while Double Over Head Cams beats SOHC, and the C109's are enviably DOHC.

I also read a couple of days ago that a semi-dry sump can significantly improve on engine performance, in that the lobes and connecting rod caps of the crankshaft in such an engine are not perpetually slapping into a big puddle of oil, most of the surplus oil being stored in an adjacent reservoir (transmission?). The C109's have this semi-dry sump (they call it "SASS")and the VN2000 doesn't. I also understood that the C109's do not have hydraulic actuated valves, (please correct me if I'm wrong,) while I know that the huge Vulcan does have hydraulic lifters, and racers have long known that non-hydraulic adjusted valve actuation is perferred over hydraulic lifters for performance reasons.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Research is great to do but why don't you get out there and test ride both
of them. Then you would know which one handles better for you.

·
Registered
729 Posts
All I had to do was sit on a 2000 to know it wasn't the bike for me.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All I had to do was sit on a 2000 to know it wasn't the bike for me.
I once heard a biker say that the one thing that you do most on a bike is to sit on it, and if your initial impression when first straddling it is off, that's a warning in itself. It makes sense, as I had that "just right" feeling when I first straddled my now hopped up Sabre, and I still love riding it to this day, (although it is no 2-up touring bike.)

·
Registered
17 Posts
The VN2000 is a low revving(under 5k) high torque tractor while the C109R(T) is like a turbo diesel, performance chipped pickup.

The C109R(T) revs out to 6,900 and doesn't stop pulling to the limiter and with stock exhaust you will constantly be hitting that limiter cause she doesn't feel like she drops power at the end rpms.

The VN2000 has a low rev limiter for motor longevity and Kaws fear of blowing something, but pulls strong. Both are heavy, but for me the C109R(T) feels more nimble and can easily get better mpg's if setup properly.

Both will get low to mid 30's when pushed.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I once heard a biker say that the one thing that you do most on a bike is to sit on it, and if your initial impression when first straddling it is off, that's a warning in itself. It makes sense, as I had that "just right" feeling when I first straddled my now hopped up Sabre, and I still love riding it to this day, (although it is no 2-up touring bike.)
Serious words of wisdom right there!

i just moved up to the C/RT from a Yammy Vstar 1100 Classic. with the VSTAR i was much more comfy then on my Intruder 800 & Bully S50's,BUT, it still wasn't quite right. The V handles pretty darn well stock, in an effort to make the bike more comfortable for me i ended up adding 5" floorboard extensions and mini-apes. The additions made more me comfortable on the bike and more confident in the feel and feedback i was getting from the machine & in turn gave me the ability to control the bike better and get better handling and performance with it.

You can get all the stats on lean angle this and blah blah that & anecdotal evidence of " I can do this on a C" or " Cowy kicks :edit::edit::edit:" and thats all well and good and can lead you to narrow down your search, but , in the end it should all come down to

when you straddle up which bike do you feel more at one with???? thats the bike i think would handle better for YOU

1 - 11 of 11 Posts