M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search but only only one post...no how to section...I need either instructions or a schematic to look at to remove the switch...Mines iffy and I can't see replacing it it it can be bypassed...any help would be nice.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
I did a search but only only one post...no how to section...I need either instructions or a schematic to look at to remove the switch...Mines iffy and I can't see replacing it it it can be bypassed...any help would be nice.
I haven't ever checked it out on the nine, but switches like that usually have 2 wires going to them one has power, and when the switch is pushed in it allows power to go to the other wire.... If this is the case if u unhook both the wires and make a jumper wire the switch would be bypassed... hope this helps... :doorag:

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,037 Posts
Bro, I understand why you want to do this, but please get it fixed. That switch is there for a very important reason, and that is to keep you from getting killed.

Back before bikes had kick stand safety switches, there were two people that lived near me that got killed because they left the stand down. One couldn't make it around a curve because the stand was down and hit a tree, the other hit a car head on.

Plus it may be like the clutch safety switch and can't be bypassed without the ECU seeing it and doing something funny.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Bro, I understand why you want to do this, but please get it fixed. That switch is there for a very important reason, and that is to keep you from getting killed.

Back before bikes had kick stand safety switches, there were two people that lived near me that got killed because they left the stand down. One couldn't make it around a curve because the stand was down and hit a tree, the other hit a car head on.

Plus it may be like the clutch safety switch and can't be bypassed without the ECU seeing it and doing something funny.
I totally agree 100%

·
Registered
917 Posts
I have a spare PM me, thought mine was bad but it was not so I still have the new one. Dealer charges $65.00 and up, I'll let it go for $35 shipped. But I agree with Zoom you should have a working switch.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
I would deffently agree with these guys ,,,, it was put there four a reason, if u ever left it down could cause a cerious accident...

·
Registered
214 Posts
not that anyone cares but the Harleys ( or at least the one I saw ) have the kickstand that pops back into place, they dont have the safety that keeps you from driving off with the stand down. Unless their kickstand malfunctions and since its mechanical i dont see how it would then the switch is not needed. On the 9 I suppose the switch could malfunction or be tampered with and an accident could happen. Get used to working the kickstand.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,037 Posts
not that anyone cares but the Harleys ( or at least the one I saw ) have the kickstand that pops back into place, they dont have the safety that keeps you from driving off with the stand down. Unless their kickstand malfunctions and since its mechanical i dont see how it would then the switch is not needed. On the 9 I suppose the switch could malfunction or be tampered with and an accident could happen. Get used to working the kickstand.
BMW's are like that too. A friend of mine has a 1200GS and the kickstand stops straight out if you just kick it down. To actually get it to hold the bike up, you have to shove the kick stand a little forward then lean the bike over, or lean it over and pull the bike back a little. As soon as you pick the bike up the kickstand moves back to straight out again. That way if you do happen to leave it down it will kick up on its own as soon as it touches. But with that design you also have to remember to either move the stand forward or pull the bike back to get the stand to properly locate.

·
Registered
5,921 Posts
I'll never quite figure out how I survived, from 1976 to 2006, without some mysterious device to warn me of the kick stand being down. In 30 years I never once took off with my stand down, and the bikes did not have some device to tell me if I did.

When riding a bike, let nothing distract you from your routine. And first off, put the blinking kick stand up.

After that, its all good.:D

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
I'll never quite figure out how I survived, from 1976 to 2006, without some mysterious device to warn me of the kick stand being down. In 30 years I never once took off with my stand down, and the bikes did not have some device to tell me if I did.

When riding a bike, let nothing distract you from your routine. And first off, put the blinking kick stand up.

I am glad some manufacturers decided that the kickstand safety cut off switch was necessary. I am sure it has saved many lives. It is somewhat easy for a rider to get distracted just prior to taking off on a bike especially being the owner of one of these 9s. If I am leaving work, or coming out of a store there are usually people flocked around my bike, asking questtions and paying compliments about the bike. Honestly, that has disracted me from time to time, because there's normally a few talking to me or asking me questions at the same time. There are also times when even an experienced rider's mind is just somewhere else at the time thinking about something totally unrelated to the motorcycle, and he/she simply forgets to pull up the kickstand before trying to take off. I have been riding for quite a few years myself, and every now and then I forget to pull up the kickstand. :dontknow: Thank God for the kickstand safety switch. :eek:

In my opinion it would be foolish to disable the safety function of the kickstand for any reason...especially just to save a few dollars.

G

·

Heh, troublemaker! But I agree. :D

·
Registered
474 Posts
I wouldn't. I've seen my buddies take off too many times with the stand down.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I wouldn't know how to turn my bike off if I didn't have mine. :dontknow:.....:D Nor do I understand the importance of wanting it shut off. What does that accomplish? How is it a problem that it kills the motor if left in gear when you put it down?

·
Registered
824 Posts
I also have never driven off with a kickstand down so I don't see why they need a safety device, but others have seen it and appreciate it, so be it.
But as for me, I need a safety device on the steering lock, I have dumped a bike by forgetting to unlock that. Seems improbable but I had parked on the street and needed to do a u-turn when I left in the morning, started the bike, let it warm up, placed it in gear, turned left and never could straighten it out and dumped it. That Sucked! I had never used the lock before and only used it because of parking on the street in a strange city. A engine kill would have saved my bike and shirt from damage.

·
Registered
5,921 Posts
Heh, troublemaker! But I agree. :D
Not trying to be a troublemaker. But most who have ridden for any length of time, remember when it was your ritual, the things you did out of habit every time you rode, and sticking to them, that kept you safe when you rode. We did not need, or want these kinds of "safety devices", nor did we ever think they would be required.

I understand a whole generation of bikers have grown up being used to such "devices", and its sad. Fortunately, for the most part, these devices are non-intrusive. Until they malfunction, they can stay on my bike.

Nope, never tried riding with the forks locked either.:eek:

G

·
Not trying to be a troublemaker. But most who have ridden for any length of time, remember when it was your ritual, the things you did out of habit every time you rode, and sticking to them, that kept you safe when you rode. We did not need, or want these kinds of "safety devices", nor did we ever think they would be required.

I understand a whole generation of bikers have grown up being used to such "devices", and its sad. Fortunately, for the most part, these devices are non-intrusive. Until they malfunction, they can stay on my bike.

Nope, never tried riding with the forks locked either.:eek:
No offense intended. We all gotta have a ritual, no doubt. These aren't Power Wheels.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I also have never driven off with a kickstand down so I don't see why they need a safety device, but others have seen it and appreciate it, so be it.
You are definately in the minority, I would guess.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts