M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever gone through the process of purchasing a bike in the US and bringing it back to Canada. I think most people on this board would reside in the U.S.... so not likely but thought I would ask. I think even with the exchange, the prices in the states are better. That ebay posting below got me thinking about purchasing in the U.S and bringing it back, but I've heard it is a huge hassle to do so.

any info would be great.

G

·
Before you do anything, check with your Department of Motor Vehicle Registration and also Canada Customs..........you may be in for a huge surprise.

My brother-in-law was going to take a new SUV back to P.E.I. a few years ago but because he'd owned it less than 12 months, he was going to have to pay huge duty on it.

Sure, it's not a motorcycle but duty regs. is duty regs.......

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
I was thinking about it, before I picked mine up here in Canada. The problem was financing. I was prepared to pay cash, so it wouldn't work for me. That being said, I figure it would have been about $4,000 cheaper Canadian funds buying it in the U.S.
I went to the Canadian Customs site, to check out the additional cost etc. Seemed pretty straight forward, with the extra costs, tax's etc, still seemed about $4K cheaper.
I would likely have dug deeper if I was ready to go through with it. Maybe there were costs I didn't see..

·
Registered
103 Posts
Make sure you check all the angles the government always wants it pound of flesh It,s as if you are cheating it out of its taxes.They don't want anyone going down to the land of the free and getting anything without the government putting their hand in your pocket. I know it sure looks tempting but let me know how you do. ::) ;) :p :super: :tools:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess ultimately it would depend upon just how good of deal you were able to fall into. It would have to be enough to make it worth your while for all the hoops you end up having to jump through. One would also hope that with 07's looming around the corner, that more 06's will hit the secondary market for some deals.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Go For It!!! All 2006 Suzuki's are approved for crossing the U.S border to Canada.

This bike can be purchased and brought across the border with any problems. They will charge you a $195.00 + GST fee for the Registrar of Imported Vehicles. They will mail you a special card for registering the Motorcycle. All motorcycles approved by the government can come into Canada duty free. It's a good way to save $4000.00. All the information you require is at www.riv.ca.

I hope this helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts