M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to purchase a 07 109R next week and want to know what (if any) problems you are having with your bikes. I'm coming off of a 1100 Shadow where all I ever had to do was oil, gas and tires.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I purchased my 06 this past Saturday and one problem that I've also encountered is one of the clamps on a radiator hose that leads into the water pump is not tight enough and tends to leak. Other that this and even if you run into this minor problem, the only other problem is this, there's not enough hours in the day to enjoy it! You will Love your choice! BTW Hope you get the Silver one,,, I hear it's fastest. :bigthumbsup:.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
First of all Congratulations!!!
and you have come to the exact right spot to ask!!! Do yourself a favor and go to the SEARCH tab at the top and look up a couple of topics. Noisy shifting. Overfilled oil. Leaking gas. Leaking radiator. Don't be scared by the topics....The most common is the overfilled oil and, if you follow the instructions in Lamont's oil change proceedure to check the oil before you drive it home, you will be in business!!! This bike is incredible and you will have the time of your life riding and watching people sprain their necks trying to get a better look at your bike!!!!Â

·
Registered
765 Posts
Billiards77 said:
I am going to purchase a 07 109R next week and want to know what (if any) problems you are having with your bikes. I'm coming off of a 1100 Shadow where all I ever had to do was oil, gas and tires.
I traded in a 04 1100 Shadow Sabre for this bike. I've not had a single problem yet except from face strain from all the smiling I do now. :D

·
Registered
343 Posts
Congrats!!! Being that you're coming off of a Shadow 1100 I might suggest you invest in a good pair of gloves for better grip and a neck brace to prevent whiplash. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
311 Posts
Welcome and good luck with the new ride.....had mine about a month now and it is just incredible......rode to a Honda ...Yamaha dealership with it while still had temp plates on it....wanted to get some polish anyway as I walked into the dealership all the salesman walked out to check out my 109...it was amusing to say the least....on my way out they're all filing back in and each one said nice ride...yeah aint it da truth

·
Registered
248 Posts
I've had mine about three weeks now 856 miles and no problems. Congrats on your purchase, you won't be disappointed. BIGD

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Hey Billards77 and welcome to the site :bigthumbsup:

I have a RED 109 and Love it BUT if they would have had the new "Blue LE" out when I bought mine it would have been a real head scratcher as to which i would have bought ,Cause that Rally Paint Job is sawweeeetttt Check it out they have it on the Suzuki site Now :D :bigthumbsup:

What ever you buy you will love it :D :bigthumbsup: :doorag:

:welcome:

·
Registered
256 Posts
the following are things i am aware of to look for ..

some i've experienced..others i've only read about here..

bad things...
check for loose front fender bolts ( i lost two)
loose screws in the switch housings on the handlebars (i lost one)
loose clamps on water hoses between cylinders (anti freeze leaks onto motor)
oil level too high (may cause oil to oozz outta air breathers and drip onto motor)
antifreeze coolant level in reservoir tank too low
scratches underneath speedo glass (factory)
speedo irratic a few times (stopped after oil change, hadnt done it since)
rear brakes are noisy/squeaky
rear brake lever in the way, needs to be raised up for foot to set on pegs properly
careful polishing tank, it scratches easily, swirls..etc..
exhaust causes right foot to be out a bit more while standing stationary
transmission clunky between 1st and 2nd

good things..

exhaust sounds like this bike is serious, nice deep thumpin sound
power is awesome, keep a firm grip on the bars, watch it powering out of corners
great front brakes
handles like a much lighter bike than it is
lots of torque......did i mention lots of torque?...lots....of ....torque   :D
rear tire is slippery for the first few hundred miles...careful on power take offs

but all in all, this is a great bike...i totally like mine, even more the longer i have it.

hope this helps a bit,
tc

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OYChoppa said:
Congrats!!! Being that you're coming off of a Shadow 1100 I might suggest you invest in a good pair of gloves for better grip and a neck brace to prevent whiplash. :bigthumbsup:
Ok I'll be honest all this power I've been hearing about worries me a little bit.....and scares the hell out of my wife.....speaking of which how is this bike at riding two up????comfort..ect.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I haven't had one problem....Ive got about 800 miles on it......1st gear and 2nd were clunky but have since smoothed out....
I would hope that all the minor problems that some have had has been addressed on the 07's......
you will love this bike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Use the force wisely my son :p Especially coming off of a smaller bike. It will be very tempting. Get used to her first. I cannot speak about two up riding as my bride will only ride on our goldwing. Many here do ride two up. I would think she will want a backrest of some type (just guessing). Get a good feel for the bike by yourself first. Get used to the power range, then take it for a ride with your bride. JMO

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
One ride around the Block and you want have any more concerns abut handling :bigthumbsup:

Your wife could probably handle it But tell her to hang on :D

far as two up , My Girl loves it,mostly cause her donkey's not sky high like My GSXR 1000 was :bigthumbsup:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bruno said:
Use the force wisely my son :p Especially coming off of a smaller bike. It will be very tempting. Get used to her first. I cannot speak about two up riding as my bride will only ride on our goldwing. Many here do ride two up. I would think she will want a backrest of some type (just guessing). Get a good feel for the bike by yourself first. Get used to the power range, then take it for a ride with your bride. JMO
I will be building the sissy bar set up I saw on here, unfortunately I will have to go to the Harley dealership to get what I need to make it :edit:.....and I plan on riding it at least 1000 miles before I put the lovely wife on it....I ride everyday now and am sure I will find reasons to ride more with the 109

·
Registered
256 Posts
Billiards77 said:
Ok I'll be honest all this power I've been hearing about worries me a little bit.....and scares the hell out of my wife.....speaking of which how is this bike at riding two up????comfort..ect.
ahh you'll be fine....yeah, it has more power than what you are coming off of...but this one is still very controlable......

...two up riding is.. well........"for me"...okay i guess... if the load aint too much.. ;)

...heeeeaaaavier passengers..well, handeling sux....go figure,.. right??  :dontknow:
sorry, i am just trying to be honest, but this is true on any bike i suppose.

also,..throttle is a bit sensitive at lower speeds, so get used to it by yourself first.....AND get her a back rest so ya dont toss her off when ya git ready to smoke a hd/vrod  ::)

once ya git it, take time to get used to it.. first!... ..then with the wife riding with ya just keep your common sense about ya and it'll be just fine..... :bigthumbsup:

tc

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
You've bought yourself one great bike. I've got about 10,000 on mine and can say all I've had that amounts to trouble is the loose clamp on the inner cooling hose. Yes, shifting is a bit of a clunk to 2nd but synthetic oil really helps that out. And I'll warn you of one other thing. The 109 has a very touchy throttle. It takes a while to get used to as it goes from idle to leap with the slightest of twist on the grip. Be wary of this in 1st as you take off, and watch out for bumps. Right after getting my bike, I inadvertently thought I'd adjust my left mirror just as I rolled off in 1st. I hit a small bump in the road and with just a small blip on the throttle, I almost made arse to ground contact. This is one responsive bike! Enjoy.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
The jumpy throttle disappeared when I installed the JSD 3M mod on my burple. There are many views on this mod, but for me it was awesome, especially helpful with two-up riding. When my bride is on the back she doesn't get whiplash when we take off. This is my first bike and it definately deserves respect, however the power is very manageable. You, AND your wife are going to love this bike!!!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts