M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At least the smog checks aren't going to happen, but:

Kalifornication Kontinues

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger signed Senate Bill 435 into law on Monday.

Authored by state Sen. Fran Pavley (D-Agoura Hills), the Motorcycle Anti-Tampering Act will make it illegal for motorcyclists to remove and replace federally required emissions equipment, such as catalytic converters, with aftermarket parts that don't meet Environmental Protection Agency standards.

The law will require that emissions systems on motorcycles manufactured on or after Jan. 1, 2013 display a readily visible and unalterable label stamped into the pipes that indicates that they meet these federal standards. Similar laws are on the books in Boston and Denver.

Pavley said the modified motorcycle equipment leads to increased noise and air pollution. Motorcycles are not subject to smog tests. And according to a California Air Resources Board study, illegally modified motorcycles emit up to 10 times the pollutants of legal bikes.

Groups including the American Motorcyclist Association have opposed the law and had encouraged the motorcycle-loving governor to veto the bill. Some riders also claimed that they were being singled out while noise problems generated by cars, trucks and vehicle audio systems were not enforced.
Many have also argued that "loud pipes save lives" and that in an era of distracted driving, motorcyclists need to alert other drivers of their presence.

Pavley has said that because smog checks are not required for motorcycles, there was a need for a tool to enforce existing noise and air pollution laws. Readings from decibel meters used by police officers often don't hold up in court.

Under the law, illegal tampering with emissions systems would be a secondary violation. That means that motorcyclists would have to first be pulled over for another infraction, such as speeding, before officers could verify the presence of the EPA stamp.

It will be a "fix-it" ticket and proof of repair would mean that the violation would be dismissed. But additional infractions could result in fines of up to $250.

·
Banned
408 Posts
It amazes me how many commercial trucks out there are spewing black & blue smoke & get away with it. I guess they have to pick on the small guy & bring in revenue $$.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
So, what happens If you buy a bike out of state and they dont have the stamp, is that a green lite for anti smog mods, or more hassles to DMV the bike in ca.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry Paladin, just reporting the news - I didn't create it. I feel your frustration though. I am a Californian, born, raised and living here. -Not for much longer though. I've about had it with this B.S., broken, bankrupt state.

The Governor, being the moron he is - rides a Harley, illegally. There was a story about him crashing it a few years ago. The report went on to say that he did not have a motorcycle endorsement to his vehicle license.

The thing that truly gets under my skin here is that " illegal tampering with emissions systems" is a legalese way of saying that you have lost the right to customize your own property.

Illegally tampering? ITS MY DAMN BIKE!

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Sorry to say it this way, but you idiots in Cali-fornia elected this Rino, not once, but twice, and now you're getting what you deserve. He has driven your state into an economically toxic waste dump and now he wants to give you a parting shot before he leaves. When we the people stop electing these environmental wackos to run our country into the ground this chit will stop becoming law. Arnold is the biggest disappointment as far as a politician goes, next to Barry O!! :edit:

Off my soapbox! :mad:

P.S. sorry for offending those of you in Cali-Fornia that didn't vote for Arnold!

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No offense taken, I didn't vote for him!

I have seen him lie blatantly several times in the past few years.
Why stop now? -Thank God he can't be President!

I hope he wanders away for good when his term ends.
Perhaps he'll go back to Austria!

·
Registered
185 Posts
No offense taken, I didn't vote for him!

I have seen him lie blatantly several times in the past few years.
Why stop now? -Thank God he can't be President!

I hope he wanders away for good when his term ends.
Perhaps he'll go back to Austria!
"He'll be back!" ... too soon? :D

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
I'm disappointed in Arnold. Clearly he's not the cool terminator type I thought he was.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I'm disappointed in Arnold. Clearly he's not the cool terminator type I thought he was.
He married a Kennedy! How could he be anything other than a dyed in the wool liberal?

·
Registered
291 Posts
WOOT lovin Canada!:D

·
Registered
8 Posts
As much as I hate too see it more and more of this type of legislation is heading our way! And not just in Cali. Do yourself a favor and join a motorcycle rights organization. Become an active member. You can fight them at their own game, lobbying for what is right for the motorcycle community. Or you can sit around and Bitch about it and hope it goes away. Your votes do make a difference!

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
It amazes me how many commercial trucks out there are spewing black & blue smoke & get away with it. I guess they have to pick on the small guy & bring in revenue $$.
That's changing to brother, I work in the trucking industry and there are Federal laws being placed on ALL new diesels(catalytic converters to start) and from my standpoint the new trucks HAVE NO BALLS for the most part.
note to self - Do not live in California!
:agree: FCUK CALIFORNIA:D

1 - 20 of 43 Posts