M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Missed training tonight to fit the new intake :( but it was worth it!

Completely different bike!
  All hard acceleration vibrations have vanished! :dontknow:  Power feels smoother right through range and throttle response is noticeably crisper.Â
  At 4500 rpm you can't hear the exhaust for the percolating 'GURGLE' of the intake..it is sOOOO nice!
  At 5000rpm it just 'takes off'..(the bike is seriously starved of air with the standard intake).
  Acceleration in first two gears hit rev limiter in a heartbeat..took me by surprise. I can't wait to do the 2>1 exhaust mod..
I am simply amazed at the difference..if you think the JSD made a difference..wait till you do the air.

Exhaust and PC3 next!..I think the 'grunt' will be wicked! Can only imagine what Hal's bike must be like with that porting, higher compression and a demon exhaust! :yikes: :#1:

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Your not wrong there Perry! :bigthumbsup:
Just as a matter of interest..when you did your mods..did that (around) 4k rpm chassis vib. (under hard acceleration) dissappear? Mine's completely smooth now! Got me baffled (or debaffled?)

·
Registered
696 Posts
w/o the PC3 :dontknow:aren't you a little concerned about a lean condition? :dontknow: :dontknow:...mjm

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
aceventura said:
w/o the PC3Â :dontknow:aren't you a little concerned about a lean condition? :dontknow: :dontknow:...mjm
Nah!..Most have found their bikes need a power commander to remove fuel from the standard map (even with big breathing exhausts).
There are quite a few threads on this issue. I'll sleep easy..but will get a PC3..just have to work out the best way to get it to NZ

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
fastway said:
love the air mod............may i ask where you got it and how much? thats the mod i want thank you
Thanks for the compliment!
It's a "Heath Robinson Special" (home made) ..pictures of it under construction are posted below!

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dan Tanna said:
ras,that looks killer,it looks as good as the real expensive ones DLP is selling.So what was total cost and time involved?
Well thanks!
I think you will see a real difference in finish, between the "Big Air" and my hand shaped piece of sheet Ali. The machine milled Ali base on the "Big Air" is very well done and the detailing is great...I couldn't reproduce anything as nice as that!
Cost is mostly all the time shagging around getting bits etc (I live out in the boonies). but having said that I think this filter will breath as well as the 'Big Air' because both are equally restrained by the standard air box design and the Simota filters are very similar to the K&N in material and flow.
I am going to try a Ram like "Bottle Fed's" design next..I think 3" ram tubing by-passing the air box should be better....BUT the difference may be subtle....so many variables including how you want your bike to look that play an important part.

Filter removal with the external nuts is easier...

·
Registered
702 Posts
Nice work. I like it when men aren't afraid to put their original effort into their hobby horse.

Anyway, it wouldn't even look homeade if you painted the nuts and screws black.

Nice work.

:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
silentrider said:
What Plugs are you running?
Your bike looks Sweettt Dude :D :bigthumbsup:
Suzuki std plug..I run 95 octane (our choices are 91 or 95 in NZ) so I don't think :read: I'll need a colder plug. (Having said that I haven't ever taken my plugs out to look at them). Lot of guys on this site know heaps more than me, so I'm watching like most others for what comes out of this fountain of pooled knowledge. Thanks for the compliment ..I would never have done it without the help and inspiration that I've got from this site..so any kudos goes back to the '109 family'!

·
Registered
64 Posts
They do love that fresh air :bigthumbsup: GREAT JOB looks awsome :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
BOTLFED109 said:
They do love that fresh air :bigthumbsup: GREAT JOB looks awsome :bigthumbsup:
Thanks B/F..it was your mod that first got me wanting a change..am about to try a similar 'Ram' to yours to see which I like..probably come down to 'cosmetics' without a dyno to measure the diff..but the ram does smooth out the 3 direction changes the air has to follow in the the air box.
I would 'ideally' like a scoop loading a good filter without the air box, or one with a better internal config
If air flows like water, then the existing air box probably adds a lot of drag!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.