M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been searching for a thread on this topic but can't find one so here goes!

Just about every time I double someone I end up with the remnants of the sole of their shoe burnt onto my pipe :edit: My son is aware of it and does his best to avoid touching the pipe but hey, you're there to relax and enjoy 8) not constantly worry about it. I'm sure I can't be the only one that's suffering this problem.

I know the obvious solution is to fit different pipe/s and I may do that in the future but for now I'm after a simple, preferably cheap & hopefully attractive solution. Don't want to mess with the look. Any ideas that fit these criteria would be most appreciated :D

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info Trouble_Is :p

I've managed to clean it off fairly well, although the products mentioned will make it a lot easier. I'm actually looking for some kind of protection to that area.

I've considered fitting another heat shield to the area, with maybe some Kevlar sheet stuck on to stop the scratching. Unsure of how it'll effect the look :dontknow: I'm waiting for my Workshop Manual to arrive to really check out the heat shields. I thought somebody may have already done some work in this area because it is an obvious 'problem'.

Can't really go crook on my son because he's already cramping in his leg trying to avoid it.
He's a good boy :#1: taking the pain trying to avoid scratching Dads ride :clap2: I'm hoping my new seat will help him out a bit in this area.

BTW Like your ride :bigthumbsup: How do you like your tank bra? I'm expecting mine to arrive any day now :D

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
I think Trouble_Is already covered it on the cleaning products...

Another thought may be to change the rear pegs?? Maybe to some Kuryakyn pilots or something with a larger place for your sons foot?
I was having the same problem with my Daughter initially, but she seems to have figured it out. The last couple of rides she has been with me on left no marks.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I noticed a smudge on my pipes over the weekend and couldn't figure out what it was from. Now I have a good idea - I took my wife out for a spin last week. Guess I'll have to try some of the methods mentioned to remove the mark. Soap and water definetly did not work!

McBel

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JUtah said:
I think Trouble_Is already covered it on the cleaning products...

Another thought may be to change the rear pegs?? Maybe to some Kuryakyn pilots or something with a larger place for your sons foot?
I was having the same problem with my Daughter initially, but she seems to have figured it out. The last couple of rides she has been with me on left no marks.
Thanks for the advice :bigthumbsup: I'll look into changing the pegs. It's tough finding out what does and doesn't fit when you can't walk into the shop and check it out. Not a lot of M109 accessories available 'Down Under' and it's tough parting with the folding stuff when you can't check it out 1st. This site helps me out massively :D

BTW I really like the awesome Air Intake setup on your bike :2cool: Want to do something with mine but I'm unsure what yet :dontknow: Thinking of waiting for the Hypercharger setup. I saw somewhere that it should be available in your Summer. I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
mustaffa69 said:
Thanks for the advice :bigthumbsup: I'll look into changing the pegs. It's tough finding out what does and doesn't fit when you can't walk into the shop and check it out. Not a lot of M109 accessories available 'Down Under' and it's tough parting with the folding stuff when you can't check it out 1st. This site helps me out massively :D

BTW I really like the awesome Air Intake setup on your bike :2cool: Want to do something with mine but I'm unsure what yet :dontknow: Thinking of waiting for the Hypercharger setup. I saw somewhere that it should be available in your Summer. I'll have to keep an eye out for it.
Thanks, I was waiting for the Hypercharger but as you can see in my Sig Pics I am not very patient :dontknow:
I know what your saying about spending $$$ for parts you cant check out first... Its not a whole lot different here as the dealers dont stock hardly anything in terms of aftermarket parts where I live.

I am fairly confident I saw a pic of someones 109 with Pilots on the passenger pegs. I think these were them... http://www.kuryakyn.com/products.asp?bn=metric&ci=2884

Search around the site a little for Pilot pegs, or Wings... Kuryakyn pegs maybe...
I'll keep my eyes out as well.

Here was one solution... http://www.m109riders.com/forum/index.php?topic=5890.msg78899#msg78899

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Easy-Off Oven Cleaner!! Get 'em REALLY hot first, then spray it on, let it sit a few minutes and wipe it off! :bigthumbsup: :doorag:

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
JUtah said:
Thanks, I was waiting for the Hypercharger but as you can see in my Sig Pics I am not very patient :dontknow:
I know what your saying about spending $$$ for parts you cant check out first... Its not a whole lot different here as the dealers dont stock hardly anything in terms of aftermarket parts where I live.

I am fairly confident I saw a pic of someones 109 with Pilots on the passenger pegs. I think these were them... http://www.kuryakyn.com/products.asp?bn=metric&ci=2884

Search around the site a little for Pilot pegs, or Wings... Kuryakyn pegs maybe...
I'll keep my eyes out as well.

Here was one solution... http://www.m109riders.com/forum/index.php?topic=5890.msg78899#msg78899
If that's where impatience gets you, go your hardest cause it looks awesome :bad2thebone:

Johnno here has the Wings on the front of his 9 and they look 8) I think you're right, new pegs are the way to go. I'll have to do a bit of research and see what works/looks best.

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
mustaffa69 said:
If that's where impatience gets you, go your hardest cause it looks awesome :bad2thebone:

Johnno here has the Wings on the front of his 9 and they look 8) I think you're right, new pegs are the way to go. I'll have to do a bit of research and see what works/looks best.
I know for a fact I have seen a 109 on this board with em on the rears... just haven't found it again, yet...

Good luck on the search, I will post if I find them again.

·
Registered
203 Posts
mustaffa69 said:
I've been searching for a thread on this topic but can't find one so here goes!

Just about every time I double someone I end up with the remnants of the sole of their shoe burnt onto my pipe :edit: My son is aware of it and does his best to avoid touching the pipe but hey, you're there to relax and enjoy 8) not constantly worry about it. I'm sure I can't be the only one that's suffering this problem.

I know the obvious solution is to fit different pipe/s and I may do that in the future but for now I'm after a simple, preferably cheap & hopefully attractive solution. Don't want to mess with the look. Any ideas that fit these criteria would be most appreciated :D
I've been debating on which pegs to put on the back for the passenger. I don't know if I want the switchblades with the retractable stirrup or the iso peg with a stirrup added on. Either way, both should keep the rubber off the pipes.

Enjoy and keep the rubber side down :cop: :doorag:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts