M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.... my bike seems to be burning oil this year. I purchased the bike last Sept. and it never burned any oil until this year. I did change the oil at the beginning of the year to Mobil 1 synthetic V-Twin.
I would say in the last 3000 miles that I've burned about 1/2 a liter. Is that a lot? Or is it normal to burn oil? I did do a search and it seems some people do and some people don't. I mostly wanted to know if anyone is burning that much oil too.
Is it possible that it is because I changed to synthetic?

Thanks for any help

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
well at some point it IS normal for a motor to burn a small amount of oil. i know for a fact that Mercedes-Benz allows 1.5 qrts over 5000 miles, and Toyota allows .5 qrts over 5000 miles. not sure if suzuki has a spec for this or not, but it is normal to burn a little oil.

·
Registered
257 Posts
maybe

it's been argued over and over on this forum that synthetic oil may or may not get eaten in our bikes.. some do, some dont i guess..

I have always used the syn blend from suzuki. never any issues..

i'd suggest trying a syn blend for a few rides, then maybe back to an organic oil to see if it helps..

just a word of caution: there will likely be many 9'ers that disagree with me and send you link after link about how amsoil or mobil 1 are the best oils ever.. but just base your decisions on results rather than rhetoric.

this site is a premium source of information that is rational, and proven:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

good luck and keep us posted:bigthumbsup:

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,141 Posts
Mine uses about 4 ounces between changes when I use Amsoil 10w40, or enough to drop it from about the mid point on the dipstick to near the lower mark by the time I change it at 4500 miles.

With Mobil 1 V-Twin 20w-50, it uses a little more than that, usually I have to add 5-6 ounces every couple thousand miles.

It's not a lot, but enough that I notice the difference. And I've switched back and forth between the two with the same results. I don't think it's a synthetic thing as much as a brand of oil thing.

G

·
I'm an ex honda car mechanic and it is ok to consume some oil and from reading the amount that you are using i wouldn't be concerned.

G

·
Everything with an engine in it is gonna burn some oil. Unless you're finding a puddle under the bike every morning and adding a quart every other day, I suspect it's OK. Plus, it's notoriously difficult to get an accurate reading of what's in the bike to begin with, unless you follow the official Zuk oil level checking process, which borders on comical. It goes something like this:

Run it for 15 minutes, facing north while wearing nothing but tennis shoes. Then, with your left index finger in your nose, shut the engine off. Pull the bike level and juggle 3 dead chipmunks for 43 seconds. If you drop any, you have to start over. Then check the level...:joke::bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Everything with an engine in it is gonna burn some oil. Unless you're finding a puddle under the bike every morning and adding a quart every other day, I suspect it's OK. Plus, it's notoriously difficult to get an accurate reading of what's in the bike to begin with, unless you follow the official Zuk oil level checking process, which borders on comical. It goes something like this:

Run it for 15 minutes, facing north while wearing nothing but tennis shoes. Then, with your left index finger in your nose, shut the engine off. Pull the bike level and juggle 3 dead chipmunks for 43 seconds. If you drop any, you have to start over. Then check the level...:joke::bigthumbsup:
You forgot to add.....honk the horn two times before you put your left index finger in your nose.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Hey guys.... my bike seems to be burning oil this year. I purchased the bike last Sept. and it never burned any oil until this year. I did change the oil at the beginning of the year to Mobil 1 synthetic V-Twin.
I would say in the last 3000 miles that I've burned about 1/2 a liter. Is that a lot? Or is it normal to burn oil? I did do a search and it seems some people do and some people don't. I mostly wanted to know if anyone is burning that much oil too.
Is it possible that it is because I changed to synthetic?

Thanks for any help
My bike has been on Amsoil since new, depending on how I'm riding it, mine uses some, on average I'd estimate 2-3 ounces every 1000 miles,
which would add up to approx. what your using... I check it every other ride and enjoy it. I wouldn't worry a bit about that consumption, like some of the other mentioned, 1.0 quart per 1000-1500 in the auto industry standard on modern vehicles....

JMHO

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You forgot to add.....honk the horn two times before you put your left index finger in your nose.
Crap.... I knew I was doing it wrong.... I honked the horn 3 times....and used my right index finger.....:cus:......lol

Thanks for the answers guys.... I feel a lot better about it now. :bigthumbsup:

Love the forum :clap2:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts