M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all just got back for a long ride, probably about 500 hundred k or so. And checked the oil level. I found it to be a bit low. It was perfect before I left. It took about 400ml to get it back to the top mark on the dip stick. I did check the oil level exactly like the manual said to - run for 15 mins wait for 3mins check on level ground, bike straight up and down, do not run in dip stick. The bike has only done about 5500k and runs fine with no smoke and no smoke on this ride. There were lots of other bikes behind me and no one said the bike was smoking and the bike currently has no oil leaks. The bike has never been ridden hard and currently running Motul 5100 10W40 motor oil. My bike is still running great and is not low in compression ...:dontknow:

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
My bike did the same thing after a oil change. Put oil in and its been on the mark the last 2000 miles. No big thing. I got over 40,000 on her and she's done some freaky things. Had her freak out once when i shift to 2 and she died. All lights out. Shut the key off and back on and started the bike. Almost like a reboot. The bike ran better after. lol...again, no big thing.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Going through oil in between changes is fairly common for this engine.
No one seems to really know why. The weight of oil, the type, synthetic, non synthetic doesn't seem to be a trend or reason.
Just when someone thinks its a type of oil or weight, someone else pipes in and says they burn oil between changes using that same set up....

Mine does it too. Wish I had some answers for ya.
Just keep checking it once in a while, especially before a long trip is all I can say.
:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
461 Posts
If you check the oil after a ride the reading will be low. The semi-dry oil sump causes the problem and the requirement to check it using the 15/3 method. I recommend you check the oil stone cold while on the stand. I check it first thing in the morning BEFORE I move anything or even sit on it. The oil readings are consistent using this method. The 15/3 method has proven problematic and inconsistent to me and evedently to many others. Oh, I have over 15k on the bike.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
If you check the oil after a ride the reading will be low. The semi-dry oil sump causes the problem and the requirement to check it using the 15/3 method. I recommend you check the oil stone cold while on the stand. I check it first thing in the morning BEFORE I move anything or even sit on it. The oil readings are consistent using this method. The 15/3 method has proven problematic and inconsistent to me and evedently to many others. Oh, I have over 15k on the bike.
Regardless of which method you use to check your oil, many of these bikes will still burn through it. I can check mine hot or cold, and it will still go through some beween changes.
If I recall, Lamont lost an engine because of this problem.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Ditto on the cold oil check. Its the only thing that will preserve your sanity.
The manual says dont use synthetics. Millions of smartiepants know better though. :confused:
Amsoil has been known to cause excessive blowby and get eaten up quite quickly.

Dont know about Motul 5100. The dealer has a big drum of it and put it in my bike ( puts it in everything he says) last service but i have not used it enough to see any losses.

Skin.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Ditto on the cold oil check. Its the only thing that will preserve your sanity.
The manual says dont use synthetics. Millions of smartiepants know better though. :confused:
Amsoil has been known to cause excessive blowby and get eaten up quite quickly.

Dont know about Motul 5100. The dealer has a big drum of it and put it in my bike ( puts it in everything he says) last service but i have not used it enough to see any losses.

Skin.
Is this your personal experience with AMSOIL ? I have quite a few 109 riders from this forum and others with no problems. If so, I would like to discuss this with you in private.

As Canuck said, it is a problem with the 9. Even a good OEM dealer will say what Canuck said..

Some do, Some don't, Yours might.

LaMont blew an engine running Mobil 1. So what oil should we run ? OEM ? Who makes it this year ? It goes out for bid every 3 years.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

·
Registered
906 Posts
Also can anyone verify about the manual stating no synthetics ?

I have never heard that and it sounds like something that comes from a Dealer.

As long as the proper Viscosity and Grade of oil are used, a Synthetic oil is a wise choice.

I would (and have successfully) challenge ANY Dealer to tell me that I cannot use a Synthetic oil because it will void my Warranty.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

·
Registered
252 Posts
HI Oil doc.

No its not my personal experience. Its anecdotal evidence gleaned from reading around here that. You will be familiar will all the threads exploring this issue as you almost always comment in them.

You are calling me out on what the manual says and to my best knowledge, digging deep in my memory I think it rather says what should be used rather than outlawing anything.

I'm not an oil guy, nor do i care about oil. It's what ive read.

Skin.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts