M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No, I do not have a link to anything like this....

I really only have a question....

Why has no one come up with this yet??????
It seems that for those with the tools and skills it would be a simple thing (and cheap). Am I wrong???

Some type of hooks or better yet, slots  ????

For that person who perfects this... Just send me one for giving you the idea   :D   :bigthumbsup:

·
Very Active Member
5,784 Posts
I've been toying with this idea for awhile. From a design standpoint, I think i can make something that is very good looking and flows with the bike. Fabrication of the part will be the hard part. My dad says that he can do quite a lot of stuff out of polished stainless and his laser cutter at work. I'm drawing some stuff and he's gonna try to figure out what production would take. i'm thinking of doing it more like a luggage rack type thing and as a backrest second. It's not really my type of thing, (because i don't see this bike as a Goldwing...windshields, bags, sissy bars, GPS) but a lot of people seem to like that stuff and what they have to choose from is ug-lee. if you're gonna bolt crap all over beautiful bike, it might as well look like it belongs. Doesn't that make sense?

·
Registered
426 Posts
BlkM109r said:
if you're gonna bolt crap all over beautiful bike, it might as well look like it belongs.
I agree. I can't understand why people choose this bike if they like to tour around with luggage racks and all kinds of bolt on stuff that clutters the clean look of it. It seems like there are far better suited bikes to do that to, but to each his own. Maybe if you come up with something that actually flows I could be convinced, ya' never know, It actually might be nice to strap my jacket onto the bike sometimes, or my helmet, or a small lunchbag, wait... I think I could make room for one small bolt on item I guess. Build something that flows and I'll buy one. Dammit, that goes against everything I just said...

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
slowpoke387 said:
I agree. I can't understand why people choose this bike if they like to tour around with luggage racks and all kinds of bolt on stuff that clutters the clean look of it. It seems like there are far better suited bikes to do that to, but to each his own. Maybe if you come up with something that actually flows I could be convinced, ya' never know, It actually might be nice to strap my jacket onto the bike sometimes, or my helmet, or a small lunchbag, wait... I think I could make room for one small bolt on item I guess. Build something that flows and I'll buy one. Dammit, that goes against everything I just said...
Yeah my buddy bought a Rune, then wanted to turn it into something it wasn't. Why would someone put a windshield, saddlebags and a sissybar on a Rune?? ::)

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Pr0wl3r-X said:
No, I do not have a link to anything like this....

I really only have a question....

Why has no one come up with this yet??????
It seems that for those with the tools and skills it would be a simple thing (and cheap). Am I wrong???

Some type of hooks or better yet, slots ????

For that person who perfects this... Just send me one for giving you the idea :D :bigthumbsup:
Big Joe is working on something similar. see these posts. I asked and he said yes there would be other versions.

http://www.m109riders.com/forum/index.php?topic=3096.0

http://www.m109riders.com/forum/index.php?topic=3217.0

http://www.m109riders.com/forum/index.php?topic=3206.0

Sledzep

G

·
slowpoke387 said:
I can't understand why people choose this bike if they like to tour around with luggage racks and all kinds of bolt on stuff that clutters the clean look of it.
Just off the top of my head...

1. G/f rides her bike, has a cell phone and likes to carry her purse. She's hot and is great on my business so fine, I'll tote the stuff..
2. Why ride the SUV to work when you can ride the 109? And if so, what is wrong with bringing coffee (work coffee sucks ass).
3. Raingear is always nice on the bike along with my tire plugs
4. "Sh*t, I need to bring my laptop home tonight for work crap.. .honey, can I put it in your car? I rode the bike today"Â = gay
5. Time to put in a 500 mile weekend, take a trip on the 109... would be nice to carry crap
6. Its cool to be able to turn the 109 into a dresser ... a dresser that actually has good brakes, good handling and killer speed, etc.
7. get the idea?  :evil:

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Two reasons I proposed to use the bungee buttons.....

1. Quick on off (no bolting it on)
2. Do not need to alter or send the passenger seat someplace.

I know I have no skills whatsoever, but I came up with something to show what I was thinking.

It's missing the rear button slot (I would change them to something else anyway), it would need some curve to the back, and a pad of course... But I can see it clearly in my mind and it's a beautiful thing !!!!
For the slots I see a slot with a large hole to fit over the button, then a quick yank backwards to seat it into a smaller hole if you know what I mean...

Maybe even surrounded with molded/shaped plastic (sexy lines) and painted to match the machine ??

·
Registered
426 Posts
I hear ya', but why not just buy a dresser then? Plenty out there that handle well and go fast. Like the Valkyrie. Plenty fast, stops great, meets all the things on your list.
Hey I don't really care if you bolt every item available, I was just wondering why people choose this bike over a comparable bike that better suits their needs. There are far more comfortable bikes that would do the trick. I guess it's ability to convert it back to a sleek sporty style and not be stuck with the dresser look.
So while I still don't understand why some people buy this bike to tour around on, I do get the idea.

G

·
slowpoke387 said:
I hear ya', but why not just buy a dresser then? Plenty out there that handle well and go fast. Like the Valkyrie. Plenty fast, stops great, meets all the things on your list.
Hey I don't really care if you bolt every item available, I was just wondering why people choose this bike over a comparable bike that better suits their needs. There are far more comfortable bikes that would do the trick. I guess it's ability to convert it back to a sleek sporty style and not be stuck with the dresser look.
So while I still don't understand why some people buy this bike to tour around on, I do get the idea.
Short answer is I wanted a m109. The valk was really cool several years ago, kinda long in the tooth and no faster than my old vtx. This bike suites my needs when I wanna cruise around the block, I just want it to do more and I'm sure it will once the aftermarket wakes the *&^$ up :) I hear ya man, I'm just venting at the lack of options right now, not at your opinion homie

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yeah I was used to a completely dressed out bike. Though all of it is not necessary for most riding days. I used to to the grocery on my old bike. I still would like to have something to put stuff in for those longer rides. Even when you're leaving at noon and its 85 then coming home at midnight and its 65, need a place to put a jacket. Bottle of water would be nice. I'll have some stuff on my bike shortly, most will be temporary and only used when needed.

There is starting to be several aftermarket parts.....waiting on some to arrive now.
:doorag:

·
Registered
600 Posts
I just want a back rest that is kinda low-slung and doesn't need to be wrenched on and off. You're on the right path, Prowler. This pretty little lady has ridden almost 2,000 miles with me this summer, with no back rest, and has never complained, even though I know she must be feeling it :( It would be real nice if she could sit back once in a while on a straight stretch of road and relax a little. Hell, she bought the bike (as a gift to me) so the least I can do is make her ride as comfy as possible 8)

Let me know if this goes anywhere, Prowler. I'm ready to plunk down significant $$$ for the right design :doorag:

·
Registered
629 Posts
Trouble_Is said:
I just want a back rest that is kinda low-slung and doesn't need to be wrenched on and off. You're on the right path, Prowler. This pretty little lady has ridden almost 2,000 miles with me this summer, with no back rest, and has never complained, even though I know she must be feeling it :( It would be real nice if she could sit back once in a while on a straight stretch of road and relax a little. Hell, she bought the bike (as a gift to me) so the least I can do is make her ride as comfy as possible 8)

Let me know if this goes anywhere, Prowler. I'm ready to plunk down significant $$$ for the right design :doorag:

Hey Trouble, was just wondering how tall is the pretty lady. She seems to fit perfectly on the back seat. :bigthumbsup:

As far as bolting touring stuff on. This is the best bike out their and that is why people buy it. Why not be able to take a longer tour in Comfort just because one baught a cruiser. The stuff doesn't´t have to stay on, but It would be nice to be able to convert when necessary. :confused: Just my opinion.

·
Registered
600 Posts
She's 5'3" and about 115lbs.

I agree about people doing whatever they want with their rides. I'm not going to bolt anything on permanently, but that's my preference. I've got the soft saddle bags for our weekend trips and a quick on-and-off backrest would complete the necessary items for two-up riding for me. I'll break down and buy the Suzuki bolt-on backrest eventually if nothing else pans out soon, but I'll be taking it off after every trip :(

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Trouble_is.... Thank you !!!!

I know it is just a rough idea, but believe it will work just fine  : )

Thanks for the kind words...

I can't do the highway with my lady until I get something to make her feel more secure.  :verymad:

·
Registered
426 Posts
After reading everyone's posts, I gotta' say that I'm in agreement. I was kinda' curious as to what drives someone to buy this bike and bolt stuff on, but I agree that it would be nice to bring a jacket along during a hot day for the evening ride home. There are some practical reasons and so I will probably bolt a couple of low key items on to carry small things when I need to. I was a little worried that some bashing might come my way but you guys seemed to get me. Maybe I'll run into a couple of you on the road - I'll be the one with the low profile bungee/rack with a jacket strapped to it. LOL

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
I have been strapping my backpack with a laptop + stuff onto the rear seat for a week or so now..
it is nice to be able to carry some stuff.
I need a backrest to bring the wife. a quick detachable one would be great, but If I dont like what I see elsewhere I will end up with
the large billet Suzuki one with the rack and leave it on. I like the look of bikes with a sissy bar/rack on there....

Sledzep

1 - 16 of 16 Posts