M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was surfing around and ran into this, luckily it didn't hurt much :joke:

Looks ike something that might be of use to us as I've had a couple of folks tell me they've had some dishing on their tires due to low pressure.

http://www.sporttouringusa.com/www/smartire.htm

Anyone use anything like this in the past or have any comments about it? Bit pricey, but if I never have to put a tire gauge to my bike again it might be worth it 8)

·
Registered
56 Posts
It is like the system they use on cars for run-flats. They work great on cars and very accurate. But I don't know about bikes. It will require more weight to balance the tire because of the sensor. :confused:

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I have seen a low tech solution to this problem and it is tire valve stems that show green for good pressure and red if pressure drops few pounds. Will go to local Canadian tire store and post pics.( cause I know the rules)..and perhaps Pep boys or some place similar at your end of town has them.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I know two guys that tried the valve stem ones. Don't waist your money. They weren't that accurate of by as much as 9lbs.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ron S said:
I know two guys that tried the valve stem ones. Don't waist your money. They weren't that accurate of by as much as 9lbs.
Thanks Ron, was exactly what I was going to say.. Those valve stem based things might be ok for a tractor tire or a semi, where you have a LOT of tires to work with, but on a motorcycle I want some thing that is dead :edit: accurate cause its my life I'm dealing with. :doorag:

And as for having to rebalance the tire, well you've already got to have it at a shop to take the tire off to get the sensor bands on so you might as well have them rebalance it while they are at it. 8)

Will find out when I get back to Austin who around town can change out and balance M/C tires and give them a ring and see if they can hook me up. I've already had at least 1 instance where my front tire was found to be almost 8lbs low and I'm not liking that very much... :dontknow: Back tire seems to hold air just fine, but I'll probably have to take the bicycle pump to the front one when I get home before I can ride.. Least its a good pump with a digital gauge on it tho! :bigthumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts