M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
3,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was riding to work this morning and I heard something banging around under the rear fender. I was in the fast lane and figured I'd better pull over and investigate. As I began slowing down and pulling onto the shoulder, the commotion got louder, and I heard parts falling off. At first, I figured I picked up some debris in the rear tire and it was going flat. As the noise got worse, I thought about the horror stories from swingarms breaking. I pulling in the clutch and didn't dare touch the rear brakes. Turned on my hazards and went to look, when I noticed I had no rear turn signals. And where the hell is my license plate?!?! Apparently, the previous owner hald-ass ******* welded a license plate mount and the weld broke. The plate and the turn signals popped off and got sucked into the rear tire. The commotion was the plate being wadded up like a piece of paper, and the part I heard flying off was one of the heads of the turn signals. I made a temporary plate holder and will have to stick to hand signals until I can get a side mount plate holder and the Raw Design flush mount turn signals that contour the bottom of the fender. Anyone got a side mount or turn signals laying around??

Here's what's left of the plate, mount, and the one turn signal head I found, all wedged between the tire and swingarm. Which reminds me, I need to carry a flashlight when I ride.

-Josh

Attachments

· Registered
1,755 Posts
tattooz, just so you know, im running the barons tag bracket along with the raw tube blinkers. they work pretty good together. the barons piece also allows you to use stock blinkers if you want. myself, i just cut the blinker mounts off with a cut off wheel.

· Registered
3,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, Biscuitpimp, But I'll make do and save my pennies for the tube turn signals. I do appreciate the offer, but there's plenty of other riders looking for le turn signals. Maybe you could raffle them off at the Christmas in July Giveaway that The Orange One is planning.

And thank you, Blakester71. I do appreciate your offer as well. Right now I've got it legal to get me by. I'll deal until I get the sidemount I want.

Earthquake9, I checked my tire thoroughly, and there's only a thin cut on the tread. I tried to pry it open with a screwdriver to see how deep it is, but it's not even 1/8th of an inch deep. Luckily it's just a surface scratch.

I was going to do a post about checking to make sure your tag mounts are tight. But when I got home after buying a new tag, I looked and the base of the mount was still securely attached. So I guess I'll say "Make sure the previous jackass owner is a decent welder!!!" There, I feel better.

-Josh

· Registered
1,451 Posts
Hey Josh,
Here is a ruff how to on making the side mount plate. Just go to the Home Depot and get you the $7.00 piece of steel sheet metal. 6 inch by 18 inch 16 gauge. Place your tag on it and measure it out. Then cut out like I did with a jig saw. Drill all the holes you need bend the tab and mount it to the bolt on the hub in the 11:00 position.

You can get one of those cheap tag covers from O'riley and bend it if you want. Spray paint the mount with some sort of paint. I just cleared mine.

Add an LED pod under the fender to illuminate the tag.

I know you have the skills for this.:bigthumbsup:

Sorry for the crap pictures.

OH YEA FORGOT If you bend it somebody would have to get on the ground to see it was a cheap piece of metal and I have run the bike at over 130 and it has not come off or broken.

· Registered
4,835 Posts
i have a stock set of rear turn signals. you are welcome to them if you would like them. i held onto them from when i did the raw design stealth signal mod, just for a situation like this where a fellow 9 owner might need them. PM if you would like them.

· Registered
1,475 Posts
Josh. I remember a post 2 years ago about a guy that had his tag bracket come loose and the rear tire locked up when it jammed in the fender. Glad you pulled over quickly and your ok!:bigthumbsup:

· Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,735 Posts
Wow, that would have been bad if it had really caught the tire. Glad it didn't do any damage, and it reminds me I need to check my home made mount and make sure it's still intact.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.