M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well... I was out riding, having a great time when my clutch cable broke and I couldn't shift gears. Thank God I was only 2.5 miles from home because if you have had to force your bike into a different gear with out the clutch... I only had to make 2 stops but when I could go holdddd onnnn!!!! The only thing that really sucks about this is now I can't ride until I get a new cable and install it. I only have 14223 miles on her and I just got her August of 08. I wonder if this is covered under warranty. Has any one else had this yet?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Clutch cable broke

Yes, just this morning. Happened during rush hour in the HOV lane. Nothing to do but pull over and call someone to come get it. Attempting to cross the 5 regular lanes and limp home just wasn't very appealing.

The dealer just quoted $240 to replace the cable. That sucks. I'm sure the towing is on top of that.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yes, just this morning. Happened during rush hour in the HOV lane. Nothing to do but pull over and call someone to come get it. Attempting to cross the 5 regular lanes and limp home just wasn't very appealing.

The dealer just quoted $240 to replace the cable. That sucks. I'm sure the towing is on top of that.
How many miles did you have when the cable broke? I rode 600 miles last weekend and the cable was on my mind. Sure would suck to have it break 100 miles from the nearest gas station.

·
Radio Active Member
27,699 Posts
Well... I was out riding, having a great time when my clutch cable broke and I couldn't shift gears. Thank God I was only 2.5 miles from home because if you have had to force your bike into a different gear with out the clutch... I only had to make 2 stops but when I could go holdddd onnnn!!!! The only thing that really sucks about this is now I can't ride until I get a new cable and install it. I only have 14223 miles on her and I just got her August of 08. I wonder if this is covered under warranty. Has any one else had this yet?
I would think it is not covered. Maybe if it went up in the first year. Where did it break? I just know that us 9 owners rerouted our cable to keep them from rubbing on a motor mount.

·
Radio Active Member
27,699 Posts

Holly CRAP. :yikes::yikes: Seems a bit high to me. I could see the dealer charging $130-$150.

G

·
A little preventative maintenance goes a long way. Make sure you lube the new cable and the pivots with hight quality lube. A lot of them have been breaking at the pivot end from freying. It freys from being worked back and forth when the pivot doesn't slide easily.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would think it is not covered. Maybe if it went up in the first year. Where did it break? I just know that us 9 owners rerouted our cable to keep them from rubbing on a motor mount.
It broke at the crimp in the handle. When I removed the end from the clutch lever I found only one strand from the cable coming out of the crimp and no fraying on the other. To get myself up and running while I waited for the new cable, I just crimped a barrel connecter on the end and took off. I was able to put only a couple hundred miles on before I received and installed the new one. It broke on a Friday, temp fix Sunday, reinstalled new cable next Friday. I will definitely spend time lubing the ends during oil changes from now on.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Inox Lubricant is available in a 4 oz as well as 2 oz injector bottle which comes with a very small tip which is perfect for lubricating motorcycle cables. The tip looks like a bicycle cable but it's actually hollow. The small size makes it easy to get between the motorcycle cable and the outer jacket. It's hard to find but I got some on eBay a few months ago. It was recommended by the mechanics at the local Suzuki dealership.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Champions Choice Cable Care Kit

Chaparral offers this kit that includes adapter to lube cables for $17

see cable lube

instructions

1 - 10 of 10 Posts