M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Cool. :bigthumbsup:
It's hard to tell from the picture, but is this new light one of those cool bluish/ultra white lights you see on newer high end cars? Or is it just brighter.
Also, I was going to install one of those in my car once, but the dealer told me others have done this, and it melts the housing, because they run much much hotter. The housing needed to be designed with those light in mine.

Any idea if this would be a risk with the light you installed?

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Canuk said:
Cool. :bigthumbsup:
It's hard to tell from the picture, but is this new light one of those cool bluish/ultra white lights you see on newer high end cars? Or is it just brighter.
Also, I was going to install one of those in my car once, but the dealer told me others have done this, and it melts the housing, because they run much much hotter. The housing needed to be designed with those light in mine.

Any idea if this would be a risk with the light you installed?
I just put it in so I really can't say. I know Hal runs them in his VTX and as far as I know there hasn't been any problem. They are very bright. :eek:

·
Registered
169 Posts
I got a question...

I put one of those on my VTX that was 5 amps more than stock, and was inundated with messages from riders at VTXOA telling me I was begging to burn out my starter switch unless I ran a relay or upgraded the wiring since it was so puny. I really did like the increased light, but the thought of being stranded with a bad starter switch made me put the stock bulb back in.

Any thoughts or concerns? :confused:

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sjnoble2 said:
I got a question...

I put one of those on my VTX that was 5 amps more than stock, and was inundated with messages from riders at VTXOA telling me I was begging to burn out my starter switch unless I ran a relay or upgraded the wiring since it was so puny. I really did like the increased light, but the thought of being stranded with a bad starter switch made me put the stock bulb back in.

Any thoughts or concerns? :confused:
Well it could be a problem I guess. I haven't looked at the 109 but this is what Chet came up with for the Honda's.
There is a welth of electical information on his site. :bigthumbsup:
http://www.rattlebars.com/valkfaq/circuits.html

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Extreme white, Blue white, alien technology white does not matter to me.
Is 60W/55W higher than stock? I dont know what our stock specs are.

PS a relay is always good. Usually most lights are only gettin 11volts. With a relay and drawing current directly from the battery
or alternator?? (wrong in this case I amsure) will usually give nearly 13volts which will allow the new lights to actually be as 'bright as they are supposed to be.

Sledzep

G

·
60W/55W is stock.

The bulbs that I gave Lamont to install are PIAA brand and consume 60W/55W watts butt put out almost twice the effective light. I think the problem comes in when you buy a standard H4 bulb but in a higher wattage to try and do the same thing. Thats why PIAAs are a little pricey. So be careful what you buy, Here is a blurb from their website:

The very popular Xtreme White Plus technology is now available in H4 style bulbs. Rated at 4000K and providing 110watts of light from only 55watts these bulbs will provide a brilliant Xtreme cool white light that will light up road hazards and street signs long before a normal halogen bulb.The Blue topcoat on these bulbs adds a slight blue tint to the lamp for enhanced curb appeal.

Twin Pack 15224
Single Pack 15214
Bulb Type H4
Wattage 60/55w = 110/100ww, 4000K
Technology Xtreme White Plus

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
I "MAY" give them a try.
I know when I had my truck I bought something like that and was dissapointed.
Then I purchased a set of "whiter" bulbs that were also rated higher for the low beams than my stock high beams were (Rally bulbs) and even higher
for the high beams 100/65 maybe??
that combined with relays powered from the alternator... AND a diode that kept BOTH the high and low beams on at the same time when you
turned the brights on and it was like DAYLIGHT!

Man I miss that truck!

Sledzep

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Joshua_109 said:
Lamont~ How do you like the new light? are you still happy with it or have you noticed any "melting" as others mentioned?
Working great except I still had a lady look right at me and cut out in front of me. I locked up both front and rear brakes. :eek:

·
Registered
849 Posts
You are having way too many close calls. Thank goodness for decent brakes. I'm glad you got her down before you hit the (lady).
Jer

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
jerbear said:
You are having way too many close calls. Thank goodness for decent brakes. I'm glad you got her down before you hit the (lady).
Jer
Does your jacket have a bullseye on it? j/k

I'm a little partial to Silverstar lampss. I run them in both my Harley F150s. I thought about switching..

These PIAA lamps look good too.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Are the lights on high or low beam in the picture?

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Ya...Lamonster....are the cagers out in left field in your parts , too many close ones for my tastes... I'd rather ride in Philly's freeway can't spell it but it's a death trap for a cyclist...

·
Registered
237 Posts
Lamonster said:
I install one of those PIAA light in my 109 yesterday and I just now put it next to Hal's bike to see what the difference was and man are these lights bright. :yikes: That's going to help a bunch riding these back country roads. :bigthumbsup:
http://directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=6077&str=290

Hey Lamonster,

Does this light overpower the turn signals or are they still easily visible?

Thanks.

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
EZRider44 said:
Hey Lamonster,

Does this light overpower the turn signals or are they still easily visible?

Thanks.
At the time of that picture I didn't have running lights. This is what it looks like now. :doorag:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts