M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Geez, I wanna hammer the snot out this thing and lock horns with some of the local V-Rods, but good things come to those who wait.

under 3500 rpm in Illinois.

G

·
Oh boy,,,you all gonna be in for a suprize.... ;) 4500 to 5000,,feels like someone kick ya in the azz....or turned on the turbo..... :D :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
shucks!

I have been naughty and kicked her in the ass a few times...sometimes you have to let her know how you want her to run when its time... :evil:

·
Registered
379 Posts
BigBore be ready to wipe your shorts when the big 1000 miles arrive and you can rev that baby all the way to redline. It took me about 6 weeks to fully break her in. Be patient, happy days ahead.

G

·
I couldn't wait to open my 109 up and thats what I've been doing since day one.On the way home from the dealer I did 105 while making a pass. I now have 2700 miles on it and I've never babied it.The only problem I've had is 2 flat rear tires one was At 70 mph, and it's cost me 350$$ so far. I have had it over 130 and had to slow it down due to nerves,so enjoy riding and do what you gotta do its a choice we all had to make and everybody's different.

G

·
Never once worried about how I rode my M. Pretty much hammered it from mile 1. I showed her who is boss. Not like the Mrs.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
BigBore Biker,

Where do you live in Illinois? The reason I ask you is because I came from ILL. I dont know if you know where Litchfield is but that is my old home town & where I went to High School! Currently, I live in STL.

Chuck :bigthumbsup: :doorag:

·
Registered
3 Posts
The sales guy told me to hammer it from the git-go. He claimed that he builds race bikes on the side and has broken bikes in as recommended and hard from the start on a dyno. He claimed that he consitantly gets 10 more horses out of the bikes that he brakes in hard.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I read an article on the effect of 'manufacturer run in sequence' compared with 'warm it up and ride it how you will be going to ride it'....and what this did to the motor!
There were pistons (purportedly) from motors run in both ways..the 'pampered' manufacturer recommended run pistons had 'blow by' because of the rings not bedding ...the "give it death" pistons looked clean and perfect.
I allways try to 'work' my new engines to get the best bedding of the rings..never had a problem.
Get it warm and lubed and straight into it..give the motor a lot of different load situations and just don't try to get up near the red line till it is freed up a little. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
593 Posts
I was all over the loud handle like a drunk on free peanuts. Left the stealer sideways and never looked back. I don't give a hoot about civility when I am riding.

·
Registered
2 Posts
rasputin said:
I read an article on the effect of 'manufacturer run in sequence' compared with 'warm it up and ride it how you will be going to ride it'....and what this did to the motor!
Here is the article I believe you are referring to. A great read even if you cotton to the timid when it comes to break-in procedures. My own thoughts are break-in methods are written more by company lawyers than tuners. I've done this with every 4-stroke motor I've ever had, and had GREAT results. Use at your own risk of course - posted for entertainment purposes only :)

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

V

·
Registered
752 Posts
vmaxxer said:
Here is the article I believe you are referring to. A great read even if you cotton to the timid when it comes to break-in procedures. My own thoughts are break-in methods are written more by company lawyers than tuners. I've done this with every 4-stroke motor I've ever had, and had GREAT results. Use at your own risk of course - posted for entertainment purposes only :)

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

V
I don't buy this guy.

Try Rob Muzzy's procedure instead.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
L-Train said:
I don't buy this guy.

Try Rob Muzzy's procedure instead.
Hi LTrain,
I've looked but can't find much except most of his engines are run in on a dyno..please tell me what he recommends!...I am impressed by Muzzy exhausts performance, so the guy knows something that is worth listening to! cheers, Greg

·
Registered
414 Posts
Yes, this breaking is wearing me out too...but I do subscribe to the theory that you warm it up and then drive it like you stole it...but I remember that it is mine and keep from trying to blow it up...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts