M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone Installed the Breakaway Cruise control???
I just tried to put mine on and ran into a couple of Problems :(
One the rubber strip that goes on the inside was not long enough! It says to use the thinnest strip with after market grips even shows a ISO grip Like mine,but when i put the stip in it is about 5/16 inch to short for the ends to touch! I said well i'll try it anyway and centered it between the two set screws and got it on the grip!

Then I was looking at the arm that goes on the Brake pivot bolt and the Nut on the brake pivot bolt is flush right now! so there isn't enough room for the arm from the cruise control to fit on it and get a good nut full of threads :( :( :(
so has anyone else bought the Breakaway and if so how did you address these problems Thanks Silentriderv  I need a Beer :D a tall one :D :bigthumbsup: :doorag:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hi there, yes I fitted the breakaway to stock grips using the largest rubber spacer, and it fitted well.
The brake pivot bolt has a nylock nut, so when the breakaway unit is fitted, you still get full thread engagement but not the benefit of the nyloc, so you need to use a drop of loctite. The breakaway works very well and the nut does not loosen, so you do not need a longer pivot bolt, it works fine, as the locking part of the nyloc does not add to the thread strength, and loctite stops any vibration causing the nut to drop off. Iv'e done 5000ks with out problems. Hope this helps.
PS watch out that the angle bracket does not touch the petrol tank on full right hand lock.
Cheers Phil

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Coriman Thanks i had not even thought about it hitting the tanks Thanks a lot for that pointer  :D  i would have crapped if i scratched my tank :eek:
My bolt doesn't quite come threw the locking nylon part of the nut almost but just a hair shy! I'm riding to the dealer to see if they got a longer bolt but they probably don't  :( it's just an excuse to ride  :D I told the girlfriend i got to have it today  :D :D :D

I have the ISO grips and that thinnest rubber pieace doesn't touch like the bigger ones do I hope it works OK after i get it together again! Later silentrider

·
Registered
132 Posts
I put mine onto iso's with the thin strip and i also had a gap between the ends. I noticed tho that when the set screws are tighten it seemed to "close" that gap a lil bit . I also used a lil bit of lock tight on the pivot. No problems after 3000 miles.
Once you get that thing all adjusted it is sweet. good luck :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fyrmanjam Thanks Dude for the info, that give me piece of mind! :bigthumbsup: I will put it on again to day and play with it till i get it right Thanks for your Response :bigthumbsup: :doorag: Later Silentrider

·
Registered
168 Posts
I ground down the arm that goes to the brake lever bolt thin enough around the nut area that I could still use the factory nut ,been over 5000 miles and haven't had to readjust it so I'm guessin' it's fine.
Dave

G

·
Have the ISO grips as well. I used the thin rubber insert and it was a tad short as well. No problem. Just put it in there and tighten up. As to the other issue, I just ran out and checked mine. I did put on the L bracket to make mine fit properly. Forget if that was an option or if you are supposed to do. Once she is all hooked up you won't know how you did without it. It really is a quality piece of goods. I have cruise on my goldwing and really missed it on the 109. Now having it on the 109 is great. You'll love it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Last weekend I installed Kuryakin ISO grips and the stainless steel throttlelock. It's in place and working very well and is a quality addition -- very nice. But, there were two tricks to to my installation that before I worked them out almost made me send the throttlelock back. Here's the issues...

The first point of advise I can offer from my difficult installation is that with my unit I used the middle size rubber strip (against instructions). The smallest strip slid on per instructions but in tightening the set screws they advanced too far and all the way through the retaining ring (I forget what the instructions called it). The smallest strip actually was being penetrated by the set screw, because with these ISO grips the surface where the ring seated was uneven (part rubber lug and part stainless sleeve). Further with the smallest strip, the assembly was not very snug and seemed unsatisfactory again because the lugs on the ISO grip made the location where the ring set uneven and the smallest strip did not do well filling this uneven gap. So I used the middle sized grip and it works very well now.

However, there was a problem in using the middle sized strip in that it was too thick when in the assembly to slip over the lugs to the ISO grips as was the assembly process in the instructions. What was possible though was to slide the ring assembly on over the lugs to the inside location without the strip in place (this was counter to the directions) and then with the ring almost all the way on (before tightening anything or even placing the ring assembly slug against the inside end of the grip) I could slip the middle size strip into place and seat it properly as the ring assembly when on the last quarter inch or so snug against the flared section on the inside end of the grip. It was necessary to use a very small flat head screwdriver to help push the strip into place. Then when the set screws were installed against the heavier ring the assembly was snug and true, which was important to getting it all lined up per the directions.

The second issue was actually the trickiest. The ISO grips that I installed from Kuryakin made for an extremely tight fit getting the slip ring (I think the instructions called it) on. This ring is the final piece to slip over the grip and it screws in with a few tiny screws. Anyway, no amount of lateral pressure even with copious detergent lubricant was going to make that ring slide over the lugs of the ISO grip. The trick, not so hard now that I've done it, is to slide the ring on as far as possible onto the first set of lugs, lubricate and then push vertically (either up or down, that is perpendicular to the grip lug) pretty hard so that the edge of the ring actually compresses the lug a bit and then you can "walk" the other side of the ring on about an eighth of an inch by pushing laterally on the opposite side of the ring that you are pushing vertically on. When you release the vertical pressure the ring is slightly canted (and very tight). Even so, if you reverse the process by pushing vertically in the other direction from what you did before, compress the lug on the other side and walk the opposite edge of the ring on another eighth inch or so. Keep this up and it will go on.

I know this description is tedious but I'm not sure even pictures would help. If you've worked with the installation process a while per directions (which were very thorough and helpful) and you have problems because of the size and shape of the ISO grips, perhaps you can reread this very carefully and it will help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts