M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, this is was a mod done by my mech I told him about the oil puke I was having since I did a duck cover and hrd Khrome pipes. First I had him look at the tips on the form for a oil catch and Square Round reason to the madness "you were right on to" so he suggest a brass chore boy scub pads to use a filter to catch the oil mist but allow air flow. Worked great with out having to do a oil catch can. Yet....lol . Brass was his suggestion, why not stainless steal? } don't know all I know is that it worked. Also I lloked into catch can and found a **** load of billit ones they use on cars. some with pre fiters in them so oil won't spray on to the spetra filter like I have it done in a thread. But for those who still have oil puke here you go try it its cheap and seem to be a quick fix that should have came from the factory like this just as a pecautionary mesure for doing mods.. O yea, I was also low on oil he stated and toped me off cold oil check in the morning had me half way on the dip stick and still no oil puke.So with that said it must work been riding it hard as hell and no puke I will open the covers to see and ill let you guys know if any is in there.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I just stuff my filters full of paper towels to soak it up..... that almost sounds like a air filter mod someone did a while back, wonder who that was???

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Just to be clear here, the OP is referring to my theory on causation and not to my remedy.

I removed the gear box breather line completely, plugged the air box hole and installed and $7 breather filter directly to the gear box port (directly behind the key).

No fuss, no muss, no more puke and best of all, nothing in my air box or intakes with any potential to have pieces come off and make their way into my motor :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
O yea, I was also low on oil he stated and toped me off cold oil check in the morning had me half way on the dip stick and still no oil puke.
Checking your oil on a cold engine is pointless on these bikes IMHO. Follow the procedure to the letter to ensure you are at the proper level. I have and never had a problem with puking....except when I drink waaaay too much:joke:

·
Registered
260 Posts
I always check my oil cold on the side stand , before I start up never had oil puke !!!!:bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I always check my oil cold on the side stand , before I start up never had oil puke !!!!:bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:
Then you are always running with a little lower oil level than you think you are, so of course you are not puking.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Cold and on the side stand! Awesome. You are definitely running your bike LOW on oil then....

Step 1) check bike when level and not on side stand
Step 2) (for the really ambitious) - Check oil when bike is level and oil has came to temp.
:doorag:

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
so how much , lower ??
It could be pretty substantial. It depends on how level or unlevel the ground that you park on is. I would follow Suzuki's directions for checking oil.

Someone correct me if I am wrong but this is how I know it to be:
Run bike for 15 minutes. Turn bike off. Wait 3 minutes. Lean bike level. Remove dipstick, clean oil off, screw dipstick in, unscrew and cehck oil level.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Didnt work!!!!!!!!! (chore boy mesh)

Well I notice soem puk on the side cover when I got home from work. I ask him Square rounder, about the mod you did and I cant really rember but he didnt think that wasnt a good idea, he stated he believed more in the oil catch cans*( he races bike and they use them a lot) I do remember thathe said evently your filter will have oil on it. I dont think I explained what you did to him correctly. I am going to try the oil catch can but i have been looking into making a smller can at the bottom so i can leave the can open and just drain it from under the bike. I remeber seeing this on my zx12 a while back.That way I think it would eleminate me having to take panels off to see how much oil is in their when i can just look at the can under the bike.

"Square rounder I wish you could explain your mod to my mech... Because its like talking to the wind... must be a mech ego."

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Well I notice soem puk on the side cover when I got home from work. I ask him Square rounder, about the mod you did and I cant really rember but he didnt think that wasnt a good idea, he stated he believed more in the oil catch cans*( he races bike and they use them a lot) I do remember thathe said evently your filter will have oil on it. I dont think I explained what you did to him correctly. I am going to try the oil catch can but i have been looking into making a smller can at the bottom so i can leave the can open and just drain it from under the bike. I remeber seeing this on my zx12 a while back.That way I think it would eleminate me having to take panels off to see how much oil is in their when i can just look at the can under the bike.

"Square rounder I wish you could explain your mod to my mech... Because its like talking to the wind... must be a mech igo."
Give me his number.

I am not a fan of a catch cans, but plenty are.

I would rather just eliminate the problem then put a better band aid on it.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,855 Posts
Checking your oil on a cold engine is pointless on these bikes IMHO. Follow the procedure to the letter to ensure you are at the proper level. I have and never had a problem with puking....except when I drink waaaay too much:joke:
Then you are always running with a little lower oil level than you think you are, so of course you are not puking.
If you don't know the proper way to do it then you may be right. But do it right and it's so much more accurate than the moronic way you have to check them hot that it's not even comparable. This wasn't just someone's stupid idea of a way to save time and avoid doing it correctly, it's been proven over and over again. Let it sit over night, don't move it, remove the dipstick and check it. I personally have matched this reading with the hot check several times, I still do the hot check when I change the oil, and it's always matched.

Th key is to let it sit long enough, it needs to be several hours. And if it's been sitting for several days I won't rely on it as it seems to drop a little more than after sitting over night. That confuses me, because if anything the longer it sits the higher the level should indicate as more oil drains down, up to a point.

And does anybody really trust the 15/3 hot check? I don't unless I measure the oil that came out and know exactly what I put back in. Tilt the bike a few degress either way and it's going to read wrong. Reading it while sitting on the side stand is going to be consistent time to time.

But check it whichever way makes you comfortable. I do the hot check on initial service and nothing but the cold check after that. 3.8 quarts puts it on the top of the has marks on the hot check and on the cold check, and checking it on the side stand is about as consistent as you can get.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
The secret word is RINGS. Don't tell anybody...shshshshs. lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts