M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its a pretty straight forward install once you figure out where everything bolts. His photos are a little muddled but I got it done. Still not sure whether the middle size rubber or the thick rubber was the better choice. I ended up using the middle one. I really don't think it makes a difference.

Here is what it looks like installed on an M109 so if you try this you will know what it should look like. The only think I did was put a drop of Loctite on the nut on the bottom of the lever pivot bolt. With the thickness of the bracket added the nylock nut was not engaging and for safety I thought that was the move. There is a round cover that goes on the throttle side of this. I left it off so you could see more detail.

I have done an install on these before. But once you figure out where things go and bolt it shouldn't take more than 30 minutes to do the install.

Normally I wouldn't put this on the bike. I have already done 3,300 miles without it but I am trying to add a few things for our Sturgis trip. Thats going to be about 4,000 miles and I know 5 of the days will be about 600 miles each and my hand starts to get a little soft with that much time holding the throttle.

·
Registered
844 Posts
What does the term "Breakaway" refer to? Is it a characteristic of the cruise control, or is that just a name??

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tomph1 said:
   What does the term "Breakaway" refer to? Is it a characteristic of the cruise control, or is that just a name??
The breakaway comes from the feature of turning off when you hit the break lever. Other throttle locks don't do that you have to turn it off. I think it is a nice safety feature to have. You can still turn the throttle with it on to adjust. I have one on mine and had one on my vtx.

TAZ

·
Registered
16 Posts
that second picture looks like the brake lever is up against the housing of the brakeaway. is that just the picture or is the brake lever being pulled or do we rely on rear brakes from now on hehe.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Will that work with the Kuryakyn ISO grips? I have carpel tunnel and am looking for some help. Had the same problem with my Yamaha, but I was told they would not work with the ISO grips. That was two years ago.

·
Registered
450 Posts
It should work with the ISO's. They say they do, and i just ordered mine this morning and i have the iso's. I will post when complete.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looks like Brakeaway has a new version that works with ISO grips. The old version wouldn't fit over the flange on the inside end of the grip--I ground it off to get my old version to fit on my previous bike.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ckostner said:
that second picture looks like the brake lever is up against the housing of the brakeaway. is that just the picture or is the brake lever being pulled or do we rely on rear brakes from now on hehe.Â
The brakeaway has a small pointed piece that rests against the back of the brake lever. When you pull the brake lever it causes the speed control to "pop" and no longer is able to engage the throttle.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hal or anyone else with this cruise control.

Do you have to remove the throttle grip to install this item? If I read all the posts correctly, just use soap and it slides over the grip? I currently have the stock grips.

I am also tempted to get the ISO grips, but they were a [email protected]!#$ to put on my VTX (which I sold).

·
Registered
817 Posts
Good job, Hal.

One small suggestion: definitely use the THICKEST rubber lining. I see that Hal used the middle-sized rubber.

I installed it at first with the middle-sized rubber also, and no matter how tight I screwed it down, it tended to slip when engaged. You will need to use some dish soap solution to get it on witrh the thick rubber, but the grip will be much better.

Again, just a suggestion fron a guy who's installed these on three Boulevards so far.

0NOTE: This applies to stock grips only. If you have ISO grips, you'll need to use the thinnest rubber.)

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Is it eaiser to install these with the grips off? I am planning on changing to the iso grips but i will hold off until i buy the cruise control if i will have to remove the grips again anyway! :confused:

·
Registered
702 Posts
I love the idea of cruise control for the long trips, I would, however, want more seat time first, since most of the highways in my areas have turns and elevation changes.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Latinrascal said:
Is it eaiser to install these with the grips off? I am planning on changing to the iso grips but i will hold off until i buy the cruise control if i will have to remove the grips again anyway! :confused:
No your grips must be on, this goes over your grip and will be flush with the control housing, encapsulating the grip end at the housing. It is easy to remove when you get your new grips, but you could do it all at once.

TAZ

·
Registered
73 Posts
I paid 189 to my door at Cruiser customizing & absolutely love the dam thing. looks great too, just that it takes up about a 1/2 inch of the grip area & my hand is all the way out at the end :eek: took some getting use too, now its not noticeable anymore :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
ckostner said:
that second picture looks like the brake lever is up against the housing of the brakeaway. is that just the picture or is the brake lever being pulled or do we rely on rear brakes from now on hehe.
Did not see an answer on the above question. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
rudepup said:
Did not see an answer on the above question. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The brakeaway does touch the break lever in order to disengage when you grab the brake. Ordered mine from DLP and installed it last month before my spring road trip. Did two 14 hour /850 mile days (you do the math) and could not have done it with out it. IMHO the best throttle control on the market. If you search the list you will find some post of near misses by those with other setups. Many engaged when not desired (mid corner etc).

Worth every cent. I would buy it again.

-Marc

·
Registered
817 Posts
Ditto on the above. The Brakeaway is the ONLY throttle lock that really works reliably.

Yeah, they ain't cheap. But this is one area you probably don't want to skimp out on.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts