M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my bike has been sitting for a month while i recovered from surgery. got on it yesterday didnt do a pre-trip road up the block got to the corner guess what no front brakes! luckily my foot made it to the rear brake which i rarely use so it was not a natural movement but, i got it stopped! my question is has this or why and is there a brake adjustment? 1st bike and really have minimal motorcycle knowledge. any help would be appreciated thanks

·
Registered
84 Posts
my bike has been sitting for a month while i recovered from surgery. got on it yesterday didnt do a pre-trip road up the block got to the corner guess what no front brakes! luckily my foot made it to the rear brake which i rarely use so it was not a natural movement but, i got it stopped! my question is has this or why and is there a brake adjustment? 1st bike and really have minimal motorcycle knowledge. any help would be appreciated thanks
You will need to bleed the front brake. Make sure you use the proper brake fluid. It's easy to do.

Just a tip (from a former MSF instructor) always brake with both brakes, about 70% front 30% rear. This should become habit so in an emergency it is second nature. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
No need to actively bleed the front brakes.

Pump the lever sitting in your garage.

You should work pressure back into your lines is a few minutes.

If it is taking too long, tie your lever in the squeezed position overnight, then pump in the morning.

You may want to check you fluid level.

You only need to bleed the lines if you get air in there by taking the system apart or through draining the system either intentionally or through a leak.

In that case, there would be an air pocket in you caliper. You can still fix about 95% of that with the procedure above, but would need to bleed of that last bubble in the very top of the caliper.

Note, this is only for the front brakes.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the help! when i got home i went to put bike in the garage and had some front brakes kept squeezing and got some brake back! wth? then read the replies checked the fluid level and yep low filled it up and squeezed the lever a few more times and brakes came back real strong. haven't bleed em yet! question is i used dot synthetic 4 but considering i didn't no what kinda of 4 was in there and this said compatible with all Dot 4 will this be a problem? thanks Square rounder for the solve and also Flightrisk for the tip i try to remember !

·
Registered
6,619 Posts
All DOT 3/4 is compatible

thanks for the help! when i got home i went to put bike in the garage and had some front brakes kept squeezing and got some brake back! wth? then read the replies checked the fluid level and yep low filled it up and squeezed the lever a few more times and brakes came back real strong. haven't bleed em yet! question is i used dot synthetic 4 but considering i didn't no what kinda of 4 was in there and this said compatible with all Dot 4 will this be a problem? thanks Square rounder for the solve and also Flightrisk for the tip i try to remember !
All DOT 3 and 4 are compatible. Only DOT 5 is not. It is silicone based whereas 3/4 are glycol based.

Tracy

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
You should use both brakes it is much safer.Sooner or later you are going to lock up the front tire and believe me it wont be good.

·
Radio Active Member
27,671 Posts
I would check your brake pads also since you had to add bake fluid. I say this because when the pads wear the caliper pistons move out and it needs the brake fluid to extend the pistons further.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts