M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone run steel braided lines for their brakes yet on the M109R? How bad was the conversion and how long did it take?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I think Lamonster had said he swapped out to braided brake lines, but I'm not sure.. I know it was on a lot of peoples mod lists.. certainly on mine 8)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Haven't yet, but I will be getting a set of Goodridge braided steel lines very soon.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I want to do it as well...I know they will look good...any other benefits...looking at that rubber going to those sweet brakes is a little dissapointing.

Lamonster if you read this thread...can you do an "how to" on this for us .

Thanks...I'm sure it will be a popular mod for a lot of people if it's easy.

·
Registered
267 Posts
It's fairly easy and should make a difference with how the brakes feel (firmer). The front should firm up quite a bit. Just drain the fluid, remove the banjo bolts, take off the lines, and replace with new lines. Bleeding the brakes if extremely easy with a brake pump.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
EAGLEFAN67 said:
I want to do it as well...I know they will look good...any other benefits...looking at that rubber going to those sweet brakes is a little dissapointing.

Lamonster if you read this thread...can you do an "how to" on this for us .

Thanks...I'm sure it will be a popular mod for a lot of people if it's easy.
Pick yourself up a copy of the July issue of CRUISING RIDER Magazine. There is a excellent article on Brake Maintenance on page 70 which explains all the benefits of steel braided break lines. When we speak of doing mods to our bikes, I think you'll agree, after you read the article, that the break lines should be on the top of the mod list. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Doing the front brake lines this Friday. I have been told that the rear brake lines are not worth the effort, as they are snaked through and along the frame making installation a pain. I'll let you know more....

·
Registered
181 Posts
oldfart said:
I'm not familiar with Goodridge brake lines. How are they for quality?
oldfart
I've used them on all of my sportbikes. Very good quality - IMHO.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I will order the front one this afternoon. The back line definitely looks like it would be a pain to change out.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
are you going to run two brake lines from the m/c all the way to the calipers? that is the recommended method. you eliminate the splitter block in the headlite cowl but you must also get a double length banjo bolt for the m/c and if you do that make sure to get one with a bleed nipple on it.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I did them on my front C90 and it looks to be approx the same setup for my 109. I would not hesitate to use the ones listed for a 1500 if the 109's aren't listed yet. Make sure you pick up a cheap brake bleeder from a local auto parts store or you will be all day! :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Speigler lines on the Direct Line site are twice as much... anyone care to justify buying those over the Goodridge? :eek:

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Dennis Kirk has the universal lines, all you need to do is measure the stockers well measure from the m/c all the way to each caliper and figure in about the same slack as stock. buy the double banjo bolt/bleeder and copper washers. on the universal lines the ends are separate so look for the bends on the stock banjo fittings so you know what angle to order. the ends come in chrome/black I think a few other finishes. pretty cheap doing it this way. thats how I did my last two bikes. :bigthumbsup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts