M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i put on a Back-Off XP brake light modulator tonight. it's a small module that makes your brake lights either A) flash 3 times, then a long flash, then repeats, or B) strobe 5 times, then solid. i went with option B. it works as advertised on our bike, even being an LED brakelight (must get the XP version for this). it's a relatively simple install...

the unit has heat sinks on it, so it needs to breath a bit. it does fine in the above location, and sticks on easilly with the included double sided foam tape. one note...when the instructions say to ground the black wire to the frame, they mean it. you can't use the negative wire from the tail light, it doesn't work. i used the screw at point 2 in the above image and it works well.

the units are 36-38 bucks and you can find them here...

http://www.customdynamics.com/signal_dynamics_back_off_brake_light_modulator.htm

or here...

http://hondadirectlineusa.com/vtx/product.asp?pid=5073&ID=67296780

next projects: TrickFlasher turn signal flashers, Flex LED front turn signals, and Lizard Lights LED accent lights. i got the parts in, just need the time.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Thats a cool mod. What made you decide to do this?

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What made you decide to do this?
seeing ditzy 5' nothing blonde chicks talking on cell phones while doing their hair and makeup driving a huge SUV they can barely see over the steering wheel in.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Yeah I hear ya there bro.

G

·
Just the unit just connect into the existing wiring? I noticed thats about where the disconnect for the brake/taillight is. If its as simple as plug and play, then I am interested.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it's not plug and play. you have to splice in. i use "T" connectors that you can buy at most auto parts stores, or somewhere like radio shack. they wrap around an existing wire and clamp in by themselves, without having to cut and solder.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Been thinking about that one. Thanks for the final nudge to get it done. Just ordered one from HDL. (The other site was more expensive after S&H were added)

·
Registered
849 Posts
The Kuryakyn run, turn, and brake also includes a built-in brake modulator. The difference is my taillight, my LED turnsignals, and the leds on my license plate frame all blink 5 times before they go solid red.
Jerbear

·
Registered
169 Posts
Did the brake light modulator mod this morning. The wire you want to splice into is the WHITE wire with the BLACK stripe.

Just FYI...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts