M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had issues with install of custom levers. I changed mine to the cycle house brand and now cant get my brakes to work. They work fine with the stock, but not these. Couldnt get them to get tight and when they did and I changed them the brakes locked up. Any idea whats the problem?

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Check to make sure the lever is aligned with the brake switch in front of the handlebar housing. Also make sure the lever is seated correctly in the master cylinder housing.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Check to make sure the lever is aligned with the brake switch in front of the handlebar housing. Also make sure the lever is seated correctly in the master cylinder housing.
I bought the same levers last year and briefly had an issue with the brakes locking....turns out the lever wasn't seat properly....didn't take long to sort out.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yup, same issue. Those levers are basically a defective design. I had to grind off 3-4mm from the part that presses on the master cylinder piston. I about dumped my bike because of it.

Problem: Piston gets depressed when installing the lever causing brake to partially engage. Brake heats up and begins to lock the front wheel.

Solution: Pull over and removed the lever so the wheel will turn again. This will get you back home. Return the levers and get them somewhere else or grind the little nub that presses the lever until it doesn't depress the master cylinder piston during installation.

I just ground off that little nub pushing on the piston. Had to grid about 3-4mm off. I have a friend that bought the same design of levers, though I'm not sure where and his were fine. He has a 2006. I have a 2007. Maybe that's the issue.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeh that was the issue. It was pressing to much on the cylinder and keeping it engaged. Good to go now. Thanks everyone

1 - 6 of 6 Posts