M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Approaching 10,000 miles on my bike and it is just over 2 years old. I plan on having it serviced for oil change and coolant but noticed in the 109 manual that they suggest changing the brake fluid after 2 years also. Is that really required?

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Approaching 10,000 miles on my bike and it is just over 2 years old. I plan on having it serviced for oil change and coolant but noticed in the 109 manual that they suggest changing the brake fluid after 2 years also. Is that really required?
Can't hurt, but probably not. Brake fluid is probably the most ignored fluid in any vehicle, and most vehicles out the years without ever having it changed. My 109 is a 2006 model with 15,000 on it and the brake fluids never been changed. The color in the little window does not indicate it is necessary yet.

In years past I have used DOT-5 fluid in my bikes, and that needs to at least be bled once a year to keep moisture from accumulating at the bottom of the system. Water does not mix with DOT-5 and settles to the bottom.

DOT-3 and 4 the water mixes in with the fluid and will dis-color it if enough is there. Thus look at your window, and if ya see a light amber colored fluid, leave it be. If memory serves me, it darkens with a high water content. Could be wrong there, but its been years since I have seen any really badly contaminated brake fluid.

Anyway, here is a link with some good information fer ya.

·
Radio Active Member
27,668 Posts
Not required but it is a good idea to change it. Proper maintenance will give you more trouble free miles.

·
Radio Active Member
27,668 Posts
Can't hurt, but probably not. Brake fluid is probably the most ignored fluid in any vehicle, and most vehicles out the years without ever having it changed. My 109 is a 2006 model with 15,000 on it and the brake fluids never been changed. The color in the little window does not indicate it is necessary yet.

Keep in mind that you "sight glass" does not show the bottom of the reservoir. Why take the chance of pitting in the calipers.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I change all of my fluids every winter.

Sure it is overkill, but why the heck not.

It is easy to do and will save you hassle in the long run.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts