M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys here is the deal one of the covers that go over my cobra pipes broke....the brackets that hold them to the pipes broke on me so my question is can i weld them back and not damage the chrome or do i have to by a new cover?

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,877 Posts
If the part you are welding to has chrome on the other side, you can't weld it without damaging it. If the bracket attaches to the pipe and it's not chromed, you could weld it to the pipe. I'm not sure where it broke loose and can't say for sure.

Welding burns through to the other side of the metal, so it will always damage chrome if you weld on the back of it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Welding it will damage the chrome, you could weld it and get a pipe tatoo put on them. Its a black coating in a tribal or flame design and it would cover up the spot and you could do the other pipe to match. Finding them may be difficult, one of my riding buddies had his done at the harley shop. Or compare the price of a new sheild to buying a used set of pipes.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah it has chrome on the other side so i guess ill have to buy a cover. now can anybody here tell me where can i by this?

·
Registered
56 Posts
u can try to take it to a muffler shop and see if they can help u out. they can probably weld a new hanger in place and attach it to a spot thats not chromed. ehaust hangers are universal once you heat them up and bend for your need lol.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
u can try to take it to a muffler shop and see if they can help u out. they can probably weld a new hanger in place and attach it to a spot thats not chromed. ehaust hangers are universal once you heat them up and bend for your need lol.
everything has chrome there is no place to weld with out damaging the chrome.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welding it will damage the chrome, you could weld it and get a pipe tatoo put on them. Its a black coating in a tribal or flame design and it would cover up the spot and you could do the other pipe to match. Finding them may be difficult, one of my riding buddies had his done at the harley shop. Or compare the price of a new sheild to buying a used set of pipes.
any links to buy the shield? i cant find any.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
who is Jerry Liquidpain?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
its under warranty thank god! AND TY GUYS.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts