M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just bought this 06 m109r and I was wondering where the bike was getting it's air from. The original air intakes were removed. I removed the tank and I guess the previous owner removed the whole intake plastic assembly that was underneath the tank. He put one intake cone on the middle tube. I'll include pictures if possible. I just wanted to know if this is okay or too unhealthy for the motorcycle. Thanks

The bike does include a commander pro V. Does the bike need a certain map so it doesn't run rich? it has stock exhaust with no o2 sensors. Thanksedit ::

Nvm guys just found em lol. Are those very ghetto to have as air intakes ? 馃槃

Attachments

Registered
I can't imagine that there's any performance from that mod. Ghetto..that's a word to describe it. I'm guessing the MAP and IAT sensors are programmed out with the PCM-V. I don't understand why someone would do all that.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't imagine that there's any performance from that mod. Ghetto..that's a word to describe it. I'm guessing the MAP and IAT sensors are programmed out with the PCM-V. I don't understand why someone would do all that.
Yeah I hear you, I wanted the stock air box back in but for some reason the two stock chrome air filter that come with the bike are going for 150+ each on eBay. The previous owner lost the stock air filters. This costed me around 40 bucks to do this, that was my #1 reasoning. I didn't do it for the performance 馃槤

Also what would you recommend if not that? I can't justify spending alot on k&n filters underneath the tank and the stock air filters are so overpriced on eBay 鈽

Radio Active Member
Put an add in the For Sale/Wanted to Buy section and see if someone on here has the stock intakes. As you've probably noticed there are a lot of non-stock intakes on here and it's usually not hard to find the stock filters. I can't tell how much of the under tank air box is on yours, if any, but you would need that and the intake tubes too. That should be cheaper on ebay since not many folks have a need for it.

I've seen a few folks on here do what yours is, and I just don't like it. There is a lot of design thought given to the size of the stock air box and it's hard to beat it performance wise. Removing it and going to the direct filters like you have might show a slight increase in hp at some upper rpm, but you lose it on the low and mid range.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Put an add in the For Sale/Wanted to Buy section and see if someone on here has the stock intakes. As you've probably noticed there are a lot of non-stock intakes on here and it's usually not hard to find the stock filters. I can't tell how much of the under tank air box is on yours, if any, but you would need that and the intake tubes too. That should be cheaper on ebay since not many folks have a need for it.

I've seen a few folks on here do what yours is, and I just don't like it. There is a lot of design thought given to the size of the stock air box and it's hard to beat it performance wise. Removing it and going to the direct filters like you have might show a slight increase in hp at some upper rpm, but you lose it on the low and mid range.
Yeah the intake tubes that go to the stock air filters/housing surprisingly came with the air box that I bought so I have those. I'll see if i can find the stock air filters/housing in the forums. Thanks

Registered
It is a rare but known mod. Many have done it in the past. Here's some ancient pics of the same mod. A few guys put tubes on the outside of the bike to route cold air up under the tank. I heard it's really LOUD!

It appears the "filter" on the OP bike are of poor quality. I'd just purchase some filters liek the ones I posted and leave it be. Supposedly this mod makes more power than any of the normal intake mods. There were some bikes that were dyno tested and this mod makes more power. I recall reading though, that it is uncomfortably LOUD! Like needing ear plugs LOUD! I'll pass.

I like those big oval filters, but the guy apparently had to cut a tube out of the frame to make them work. NOT ME!

Attachments

Registered
I have undertank K&N filters on my bike, the intake noise is much louder as mentioned, but there鈥檚 also a significant improvement in power plus I love the look of the bike without the salad bowls. Overall I鈥檓 very happy with this mod

Registered
Mine is pretty loud with the LA Choppers intake. At high throttle, the intake is louder than the Cobra exhaust. Idling, there is a loud hiss present. I like the hiss!

Attachments

Reactions: Moh230

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is a rare but known mod. Many have done it in the past. Here's some ancient pics of the same mod. A few guys put tubes on the outside of the bike to route cold air up under the tank. I heard it's really LOUD!

It appears the "filter" on the OP bike are of poor quality. I'd just purchase some filters liek the ones I posted and leave it be. Supposedly this mod makes more power than any of the normal intake mods. There were some bikes that were dyno tested and this mod makes more power. I recall reading though, that it is uncomfortably LOUD! Like needing ear plugs LOUD! I'll pass.

I like those big oval filters, but the guy apparently had to cut a tube out of the frame to make them work. NOT ME!
Sorry I may have missed it but what is the part number for those k&n filters? Thanks

Registered
It'll take some research to find that. There is an old thread on these. Just don't recall the wording of it. May take a few days, with the limited amount of time I have. But I'll try.

Reactions: Moh230

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
It'll take some research to find that. There is an old thread on these. Just don't recall the wording of it. May take a few days, with the limited amount of time I have. But I'll try.
Thank you. Yeah I am leaning towards going for the k&n RU-0800. 4 inches tall and 2.5 inches wide on the rubber inner diameter.
If I end up finding those oval filters that are bigger, do you think it'll give me too much of an issue fitting it in there? Should I just stick with the RU-0800 OR RU 0700? thanks

edit: I think I found it! searched through the history and I think its the RA-0770. im going to try to get these, if not then gonna go for the RU-0800

Another edit: Okay so i found the RA-0770 but just in a metal top instead of the rubber. Should I stick to with the RU-0800 or try to fit the bigger K&N rc-2860. People have fit them but they have a rubber top, is the rubber needed as the tank might squish down on the filter a bit?

I posted pictures of both.

Attachments

Registered
If you look at the pictures I posted higher up, the guy that fit the oval filters had to cut one of the frame cross-members out to fit it. I wouldn't want to do that myself. Maybe it's alright, but I am leery of that. I like the ovals as they offer more filter surface, better breathing. But this mod, any filter you install is going to have better breathing than any of the ones that hang off the side. Because you eliminate those two tubes that curve up from the side filters. Those tubes are rather small internally.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you look at the pictures I posted higher up, the guy that fit the oval filters had to cut one of the frame cross-members out to fit it. I wouldn't want to do that myself. Maybe it's alright, but I am leery of that. I like the ovals as they offer more filter surface, better breathing. But this mod, any filter you install is going to have better breathing than any of the ones that hang off the side. Because you eliminate those two tubes that curve up from the side filters. Those tubes are rather small internally.
I was just reading through that forum post and the person said he cut off that cross member for another reason and the filter should fit even with it. No harm in trying. I just ordered them. I'll keep everyone updated and let you guys know if it fits. If not, I'll return them and order the 0800 ones

Registered
I was just reading through that forum post and the person said he cut off that cross member for another reason and the filter should fit even with it. No harm in trying. I just ordered them. I'll keep everyone updated and let you guys know if it fits. If not, I'll return them and order the 0800 ones
I did this mod and went with a pair of 0800 filters. On the rear throttle body, you will want to trim the flange where it attaches to the throttle body so that it sits a bit lower. Mine barely touch the bottom of the heat shield under the tank. I left my cut "salad bowls" installed as I don't like the empty space.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hello guys, So the two oval air filters definitely would not fit without some type of offset coupler or a flexible silicone coupler. I ended up buying two of these couplers 2.5"ID-3ID". Only ones I found that I could get my hands on the same day. I am sure having an offset silicone coupler would have probably made it much easier but I made these work. Not the most organized but I got it done and I remapped the bike to its previous' owner map which was tuned for the air filters on throttle body+ The 2-1 shorty pipe. I included pictures of the Idle plus some of the maps info. If any one has a better map, feel free to share it. I test rode the bike today and I definitely feel a power increase when its close to or at full throttle and it is also much louder. I feel the torque increased significantly.

Attachments

Radio Active Member
That sure looks a lot better than the ones that came on it. Glad it seems to have helped.

Registered
Good job on that, looks nice. Glad you got it all sorted out. I put a new clutch cable in mine yesterday. Should have seen the old one, WOW! Six strands in the cable, three of them broken. Then I went out and whipped it like a rented mule.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts