M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys,i,m rather new and not to mechanically inclined so bare with me.,I noticed oil on chrome under key and all around that area.took it to dealer,who said it was road grime and not to worry.I had both tires changed at 4500 miles,plus the 3000, mile oil and oil filter changed at same time.A few weeks later i was cleaning the 9,when i rubbed towel under left chrome air filter there was oil all over the rag.took it to dealer,The mechanic told me the oil was low,he added one quarter of a quart.He thinks it was some sort of valve sticking open a little,he looked in the manual and told me theres no new part to order to fix it.they want me to bring bike in for service,i was told that he would need 2 hours to take gas tank off,then air box to see what problem is,he said,it could be sludge clogging the valve seal from shutting a little,or it could be a pinched hose,service manager quoted 150 dollars for 2 hours labor,just to figure out what the problem is.....PLEASE,WHAT IS YOUR OPINION..HELP ARE THEY TRYING TO STICK IT TO ME.ANY ADVICE WOULD BE APPRECIATTED.THE BIKE HAS 6200 HUNDRED MILES IT,S AN ORANGE 2008.THANKS FOR ANY INFO,,,STEVE FROM MAINE.

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
First off............... your dealer is a tool. get a new one.If he thinks that is road Grime, id say he has no fukin idea how to check the oil in these weapons.

search is your friend, this is Siht loads of info on this.:bigthumbsup:

85 % have it or had it happen.

type in Oil Puke in the search section.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Tell that dealer to go FOFF and find a different one.
What it sounds like is that there was too much oil. It tends to spit out of the left side when this happens.
There is a special way of checking the oil level on these beasts. It's called the 15/3. Let the bike run for 15 mins, then sit for 3. and then check.
There are a few "how too's" on here that some have done to help with this.
Hope this helps a little.
:welcome: to the family :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
It's unbelievable what some dealers try to come up with......Run bro....run as fast as you can away from that dealer. They are clueless and overfilled your bike with oil.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Too much of a good thing!

Any engine will puke oil if you put enough in!
OK, you have a big mess now.
You can search for a good dealer that knows what's up, or DIY, my choice.
If you are going to own a 109 (imho), you'll need to figure out how to DIY in most cases. Yes, I know some people have found competent dealers, but since your's isn't, you're probably SOL.
You now have too much oil in the crakcase, oil in your central air box, and oil on your fabric air filters. The oil in your crakcase breather and the hose leading to your airbox will probably drain back into the crakcase in time.
You need to remove your side pods at least to clean up the mess, and replace your air filters. Drain the oil (both drain plugs) and oil filter. It should measure about 3 1/2 quarts.............it's probably more unless the extra has all puked out. In any case, add 3 quarts, start it and run it a bit, shut it off, and add 1/2 quart more.
After you learn the proper way to check your oil, you may need just a little more. Never add more than 4 quarts total.
I hate the design, so I and others have rerouted the breather box hose and sealed the air box hole where it went. A small breather filter on the hose, maybe a catch can also, and this will never be an issue again.
Welcome to the wacky world of the 109.

·
Registered
214 Posts
around here dealers ( most not all ) are called stealers. I thought that was kinda harsh when I first joined ( about 6 months ago ) and reserved judgement. Well it wasn't long before I made my post mad at the incompetence and outright thievery dealers are capable of doing. Save some of your money and learn to work on your bike. An oil change, air filter cleaning and even fuel filter change out are easy. You are about to pay 150.00 to just take off the gas tank where they quoted you a two hour job when I and most on hear know you can do it in 5 minutes. You can remove the fuel pump and change your filter in 30 minutes out behind any 7-11 convenience store and save yourself 200.00 bucks like I did ( they got me the first time ). The strong reactions your going to get here about stealers are not from crazy off their rocker stupid knuckeheads that don't know their #ss from a hole in the ground. These guys have very good advice and can save your bacon with the tons of advice you will find here. Follow it and become a more independent, savy and happier camper. Good luck.

Ok, I'm done.
:welcome:

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I am not sure why people want to treat a dealer like some kind of final word on things.

I would bet you could get better answers here than you could at most dealers.

There are many mods that are rather common here that dealers will tell you are just not possible.

I had the parts guy at my local dealer look up the fuel filter because I expect to be changing it this winter. One of the mechanics was standing there and he was openly surprised the filter was inside the tank. I looked at the parts guy and told him: "that is why your service department has never seen my bike". He looked at the mechanic who shrugged his shoulders and walked away.

I have become more surprised when the dealer mechanics actually have the right answer.

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
I dis-connected the breather tube to the left air cleaner, routed a new tube into the left engine cover. Ran it into a bottle, and put another tube on the bottle with a filter on the end. This way the oil stays in the bottle, the engine breaths through the small K & N filter atop the left engine cover.

Since I change my own oil, any oil in the bottle is all my fault.:D

·
Registered
434 Posts
BAD DEA;ERS

Yah, I think the hardest thing to do on the 9 is to check the oil to change is a snap. If you have converted your air intakes you will get the pucking as its called. I have Thunder Intakes and before I started using 20w-50 weight Mobil oil mine was driving me to drink. When they do Puck they are over filled with oil.

The forum has been a life saver for me and a lot of us. :welcome:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts