M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm overhauling my 2008 M109r2. A lot of these bolts have reached the end of their life.

When it comes to new bolts, are there any specific materials I should ensure I use for either all, or some of the bolts?

AKA, if it's going into the steel frame, I assume it should be steel, high grade if structural (probably is)

If it goes into aluminum, do I need to use aluminum bolts?

I'm sure I'm not the only one who's been through this. I have the manual, and partzilla breakouts for reference for OEM, but I want to make this bike look good, but also sound.

·
Registered
2009 / VZR1800
4,060 Posts
I'm overhauling my 2008 M109r2. A lot of these bolts have reached the end of their life.

When it comes to new bolts, are there any specific materials I should ensure I use for either all, or some of the bolts?

AKA, if it's going into the steel frame, I assume it should be steel, high grade if structural (probably is)

If it goes into aluminum, do I need to use aluminum bolts?

I'm sure I'm not the only one who's been through this. I have the manual, and partzilla breakouts for reference for OEM, but I want to make this bike look good, but also sound.
IMHO you are trying to avoid "Galvanic Corrosion", I am also sure that OEM
manufacturer knows about it more then I do, so I would make sure I install
eqivalent or better to OEM bolts everywhere where quality contact is of a concern.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Don’t no why 1st 1 didn’t work

1 - 6 of 6 Posts