M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was doing testing on my bike for removing top speed limiter and ignition retard , I noticed when I had a multi meter hooked up to the gear position sensor that sometimes when shifting gears the resistance values were not very consistant. Ihad to kind of wiggle the shifter to get a consistant reading in every gear . So long story in short my bike has been doing this to and when i had the gear position sensor un hooked it acts the same way all of the time , The ECU has to see a certain value of resistance depending on what gear it is set in. Each gear has a set value of resistance and if for example 4th gear is 2.7 k ohm and if you shift into 4th and the resistance is only 2.5k that is not within the range of tolerance the ECU is looking for it goes into a LIMP MODE and acts like it is running out of gas . I proved this because I put a 2.5 k resistor during my testing and it would run fine until i would get on it. If the resistance value goes above 3.0 k ohms between gears THE ECU THINKS YOU ARE IN 5TH GEAR MOMENTARILY AND SETS THE TOP RPM LIMIT TO 6200 SO WHEN YOU GO TO HIT THE GAS IN THE NEXT GEAR YOU GET A BIG BOG.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wanted said:
So, what's causing this, and what's the fix for it? Inconsistent pot readings are usually caused by dirt or oxidation, or poor contact in the mechanism...
Do the mod that i did for geeting rid of the top speed and ignition retard , that way every time you shift the ECU IS NOT TRYING TO CHANGE TO A DIFFERENT IGNITION CURVE SETTING OF THE NEXT GEAR.

·
Registered
32 Posts
It also works as a missed shift rpm limiter. Sometimes when im getting on it ill miss shift 1st to 2nd and it will hit 6200 rpm and bog. So its kind of a safety net as well. Now that i know about it ill make sure to shift with authority.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.