M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, for those who are "search" nazis, I tried search and looked through the first 6 pages out of 104...

Here's the issue.
I hopped onto my bike today to leave work and it idles just perfectly and eases out of the parking lot. At the first light, it nearly dies on me and keeps bogging down at higher RPM. So, I pull over & experiment. It runs smooth as silk up to 3000RPM. Higher than that and it bogs down like it's going to die & backfires like crazy.

I know that it runs fine up to 3K because I rode it home that way (approx 10 miles). I figured that it would either make it fine, burst into flames, or just flat out die. But, since I don't know anyone in KC as of yet, I needed to get it home one way or the other.

Any ideas on what the issue with my bike is?

·
Registered
285 Posts
I want to try and get one right, lets see if today is my day... Could it be the mesh fuel filter inside the tank?

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Fuel filter depends on the mods. He has not listed if it is completely stock or has fuel management. If stock---fuel filter. If PC3---solder connections at the TPS and trash those crimp connectors. Tell us what has been done to the bike so we know where to go next.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bike is stock...I have a modified stock exhaust & intakes, but it has run for 7000 miles like this with no problems.
I was thinking fuel filter myself. Well, I was hoping it was the fuel filter.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya know, it's been running a little strange since I moved to Kansas City.
Wonder if I got some crappy gas here on the South side of town....

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Fuel filter, just change it. That is about the average mileage of most bikes with the filter problem.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool! Thanks for the input. Actually, the bike is a 2K6 with nearly 17K miles on it. I'm sure that it's ready for a few things to be changed out on it...
I'll definitely start with the fuel filter.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Fuel filter, just change it. That is about the average mileage of most bikes with the filter problem.
If I were in vegas, i'll put $500 on that Quote :clap2:

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I try to do that, but I've been doing some traveling & the last gas that I got was during my latest trip home, so no telling what the quality of the gas was. Eh, I blame no one but myself. I guess that it's back to the Shell stations....

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Yeah, I try to do that, but I've been doing some traveling & the last gas that I got was during my latest trip home, so no telling what the quality of the gas was. Eh, I blame no one but myself. I guess that it's back to the Shell stations....
I swear by shell gas, dont know what it is but It is so easy to tell when the trucks are filled with other gas. when your hauling a 22 foot trailer loaded with lawn equipment.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
so why would the filter bogg it down at 3000? wasnt there a couple of guys here that had problems with the secondary throttel body sounding like this?

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
so why would the filter bogg it down at 3000? wasnt there a couple of guys here that had problems with the secondary throttel body sounding like this?
A clogged fuel filter acts like a resistor. When you open her up ya don`t git nuff juice.

Mine would die at idle a lot. Replaced pucky goo filled filter and it is fine

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
my point indeed at idle should be the worst? not at 3000rpm
That would depend on how clogged the filter is. Yes he could check the SET cables for tightness, but no codes are thrown. So, money is on the filter.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
It runs smooth as silk up to 3000RPM. Higher than that and it bogs down like it's going to die & backfires like crazy.

I know that it runs fine up to 3K because I rode it home that way (approx 10 miles). I figured that it would either make it fine, burst into flames, or just flat out die. But, since I don't know anyone in KC as of yet, I needed to get it home one way or the other.

Any ideas on what the issue with my bike is?[/QUOTE]

At Idle & up to 3000rpm's runs fine just when twisting the happy handle. It sounds like starving for fuel, I would say check fuel filter.
Keep us posted, Good Luck.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Ok ctat its up to you man replace that filter without doing anything else and let us know, I love learning about this stuff.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, I now have it from 3 different sources that this should be the fuel filter.
Here, a friend who does auto repair and a friend who has replaced 3 of these fuel filters (one on the side of the road with 1 guy holding the tank, one guy passing tools & one guy doing the surgery).
The last guy assured me that I need not spend the money to have the shop do it, he's confident that I can do this myself (he might know what he's talking about, he's seen me operate tools). I'll keep you all posted once I get the filter....now I just hope that they have one in stock....

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quick update....had to order the fuel filter...it won't be in until Thursday or Friday...this could really suck...I have 7+ people coming down to ride with me from Northern Illinois on Friday...at least they're all good with wrenches...lol

·
Registered
547 Posts
Quick update....had to order the fuel filter...it won't be in until Thursday or Friday...this could really suck...I have 7+ people coming down to ride with me from Northern Illinois on Friday...at least they're all good with wrenches...lol
You have got to be kidding? Nobody here in the KC area has a fuel filter for out bikes? If that's the case I probably need to get one just to have on hand when mine goes kaput.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I only called one place...figured that it would be the same story at all of the places. I know that when I get some ahead in funds, I'll be picking up a spare....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts