M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just took apart the tach and am relieved at how easy this is going to be !!! Not only can you change the tach's leds easily, but you can also change out the blinker/highbeam/neutral/engine leds as well !!

I'm off to the parts store and will have the pics by tonight.
:bigthumbsup:

-Chad

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok so here are some of the pics. As usual I don't have a dig. camera so bear with the camera/phone pics please. The mod took more time than I thought it would, but only because I was fussy. To get access to the tach, I had to take the handlebar off. ***Before removing the handlebar, take electrical tape and wrap it around the bar on either side of the risers to remember where it was mounted. Also, scratch the tape where the riser cover meets the riser, this will indicate how the bars were angled. Take the bar off and set it on the towels ontop of the tank. After that, on the underside there are 3 screws that hold the chrome cover on. I basically kept a mental note and made piles of screws in the order I took them out, so there aren't any pics for this.

When you finally get down to the insides of the tach, you'll see bent metal tabs all around the outside of the circuit board, straighten them out. With all the screws out the board should be free to some out of the cover.

I de-soldered the stock leds and mounted my new strip of leds inplace of them. I drilled 2 holes through the board ( positive & negative ) and routed the wires through to the backside of the board.***check both sides of the board to make sure you don't drill through a connection*** I found a 12v source and soldered it in.

On the light diffuser there are a series of holes to let light in, I cut all the white plastic out and left just the screen to diffuse the light. The reason for doing this is because there are 6 leds stock, I put in 8, and they didn't line up with the holes. It makes a huge difference in the light output.

After everything is soldered in it's just a matter of testing it, and screwing everything back together, congratulations you have a blue tach.....

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Excellent Job Sir!

Can you post the part numbers and supplier of the LEDs for this project?

·
Registered
291 Posts
That's exactly what I want to do!!!!  Looks excellent!

Have you found the photo sensor for engaging/adjusting the lights brightness?  I am going to try to place some blue film over mine once I find it, to encourage the lights to come on a little sooner/brighter then they do now when driving down roads with lots of shadows or during dusk/dawn hours.  Did you change this behavior at all during your modifications?

***new text***
Okay, re-read and I see about the difuser to let light in...and cutting off white plastic but sounded like you were referring to your light source output, not sensor input from ambient external light.
***end new text***

-Tim

·
Registered
898 Posts
i can see your problem its that cingular camera phone  :D

nice work on the lights and the pics :bigthumbsup:

khrome

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Chad you are a wiz...but you got to get you a digital camera...go to Ebay and get a Nikon coolpix 4600..it's a 4.0 megapixle and is small...and takes excellent pix.
I posted pics of the Va ride in the pics section to give you an idea of pic quality....even though they been resized and compressed they still look good.

You can find them for less than 120.00 bucks new . :bigthumbsup:

I'm busting on you a bit but... :D GET A CAM !

Great work...keep on moving bud !

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
dilbertian said:
That's exactly what I want to do!!!! Looks excellent!

Have you found the photo sensor for engaging/adjusting the lights brightness? I am going to try to place some blue film over mine once I find it, to encourage the lights to come on a little sooner/brighter then they do now when driving down roads with lots of shadows or during dusk/dawn hours. Did you change this behavior at all during your modifications?

***new text***
Okay, re-read and I see about the difuser to let light in...and cutting off white plastic but sounded like you were referring to your light source output, not sensor input from ambient external light.
***end new text***
right, I meant to let light out, sorry about that... :bigthumbsup:

Chad

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
khrome13 said:
i can see your problem its that cingular camera phone :D

nice work on the lights and the pics :bigthumbsup:

khrome
thanks, I haven't found a phone yet that hasn't given me a problem :joke:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
EAGLEFAN67 said:
Chad you are a wiz...but you got to get you a digital camera...go to Ebay and get a Nikon coolpix 4600..it's a 4.0 megapixle and is small...and takes excellent pix.
I posted pics of the Va ride in the pics section to give you an idea of pic quality....even though they been resized and compressed they still look good.

You can find them for less than 120.00 bucks new . :bigthumbsup:

I'm busting on you a bit but... :DÂ GET A CAM !

Great work...keep on moving bud !
Ya, I've always said I'd like to buy a camera,but never did.... Maybe after all this I'll break down and get one. I accept donations... :D

thanks for the compliments and the ball busting ! :beer2:

Chad

·
Registered
61 Posts
:eek: WOW!!!!! Now all I need is a degree is electrical engineering!!! I want to do that, but I think I might just mess it completly up... :redfaced:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Bens M109 said:
:eek:  WOW!!!!!  Now all I need is a degree is electrical engineering!!!  I want to do that, but I think I might just mess it completly up...  :redfaced:
the best theory to go by is to take apart each piece one at a time. It looks like a huge project, but it isn't really. If you keep all of the screws and bolts in their own pile and remember how each part bolts together you'll have no problem. What's the worst that could happen?

-Chad

·
Registered
126 Posts
I want to do this but I want to change mine to green. I think it will look good on the black. I'm not a wiz at the electracial part but I think I could handle the rest. Do you plan to put a step by step in the how to? Where did you tap into the 12 volt source at? Thanks for all the hard work. :bigthumbsup:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts