M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
A&R makes a great kit and it's the best bang for the buck I've done on my bike. I can't remember if I went with 8,000k or 10,000k but it looks awesome. Nice bright light without looking like a cheap Honda with just blue tinted bulbs.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
i run PIAA H4 bulb extreme white plus.i am happy with it.
I use the Plazma White its slighty blue but really bright day or nite. Both are great bulbs from PIAA

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
You can also go to e-bay and for half the price of what you'll pay for just one A&R HID light bulb you'll get two, thus giving you the option of always having a replacement in case something goes wrong:dontknow:. These HID kits can be had for less than $50.00 and you have the options of Xenon-Low / Halogen-Hi, Single beam (either hi or low), and Xenon Hi/Low at different temperatures which will determine the color shade. The choice is yours and as long as they are the H-4 type light bulbs they will fit:bigthumbsup:.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,141 Posts
I have the 8000K HID kit and it's a slight bluish color, the call it ice blue. It looks almost white until you see it along with a normal halogen light. You can really tell it at night when roadsigns glow with a bluish tint. The further up the color temp range you go, the bluer they get. Anything above about 10000K starts looking purple.

The blue does stand out more, but I replaced my 8000K with a 5000K to get back to a white light. It seems to work better at night than the 8000K does.

·
Radio Active Member
27,699 Posts
Be careful of going to Blue as you might get pulled over. Technically an HID in a halogen housing is not legal. Most go with a 6k bulb that has a very, very slight bluish tint to it.

I still get group pricing through A&R, so if you are interested drop me a PM.

And I would get a Stebel air horn at the same time. These two mods for under $175 might even save your life someday. They are listed in the Bang for the Buck Mods link in my signature.

·
Registered
450 Posts
sounding stupid

Not the first time I've sounded stupid, so here goes. Are the PIAA H4 bulbs a replacement for the bulbs we have now? Or is both the PIAA H4 and the A&R both kits that need installation?

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Not the first time I've sounded stupid, so here goes. Are the PIAA H4 bulbs a replacement for the bulbs we have now? Or is both the PIAA H4 and the A&R both kits that need installation?
The PIAA H4 is just a light bulb which can be used as a replacement for the stock light and they are supposed to have a higher intensity (brighter than the stock but not quite as bright as an HID). The A&R is an HID kit. HID Kits come in different specification, Bi-Xenon Low/Hi which does both HI and Low Beams, Xenon Low/Halogen Hi (these are two independent bulbs within the same base or harness), and Xenon Single Beam (either Hi or Lo but not both). These kits also come in different temperatures which determines the shade or color that the light reflects, from bright whites to purplelish and pink colors which are often illegal in many states. The most common temperatures for HID Kits range from 6000 to 8000 with 8000 reflecting an iceberg blue shade. Because these kits use the Xenon technology which is mostly referred to as some type of gas, it is necessary for them to have additional components called Ballasts to fire them up :bigthumbsup:. If you have additional questions send a PM to SquareRounder, he has a lot of knowledge in this area and can give you pointers as which kits are best for the type of application you are seeking.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts