M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a part number for the blue quick connect clip that holds the fuel line on? I guess mine wore out by taking the tank off so many times. I was riding to work today and hit some railroad tracks and fuel started pouring from underneath the tank. Got the bike to work and took the tank off to find one of the tabs broke off the blue clip. Super glued the clip in the mean time to get home. Called the stealer and they told me I would need to buy a new fuel line. I can't tell by the diagram if a new (blue) clip come with the new fuel line (and of course the stealer couldn't tell me either). Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Adam

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,086 Posts
Doesn't that clip stay on the tank? I just had my tank off last night changing the fuel filter, and I've had it off a lot of times before, and the clip stayed on the tank. That makes me wonder how you get the new one on unless it can spread to go over the bump in the line that retains it.

I've not looked at it that close, just wondering.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea it is supposed to stay on the tank side. I would guess you have to press the new one over the bump. The GM fuel line retainer clips that ooinkk was talking about look like the same part. I'm going to take it down to the parts store tomorrow and see if they can get me something similar.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Doesn't that clip stay on the tank? I just had my tank off last night changing the fuel filter, and I've had it off a lot of times before, and the clip stayed on the tank. That makes me wonder how you get the new one on unless it can spread to go over the bump in the line that retains it.

I've not looked at it that close, just wondering.
You're right, that clip does stay on the tank. Now I'm not sure if that clip comes with the fuel line, or is seperate. Can't seem to find it in the drawings. I'll keep looking.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Yea it is supposed to stay on the tank side. I would guess you have to press the new one over the bump. The GM fuel line retainer clips that ooinkk was talking about look like the same part. I'm going to take it down to the parts store tomorrow and see if they can get me something similar.
I don't remember which adapter I was using when I checked my fuel pressure but one of the automotive ones hooked right up to it. The clip comes off the tank if you use a pick to pry the keepers over the bump in the line. New one snaps right on.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
HEY ZOOM......

Was that clip part of the fuel line recall a few years ago? I think there were a few threads on it but I can't find them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I do remember taking the bike in for a recall a couple years back, something to do with the fuel line or fuel rails. Can't remember what it was.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,086 Posts
Was that clip part of the fuel line recall a few years ago? I think there were a few threads on it but I can't find them.
It wasn't part of it. The fuel line that was replaced is the line that feeds both throttle bodies. The flexible line you remove from the fuel tank connects to the recalled line on the other end of it.

The other end does have what looks like the same clip on it though. Notice the blue clip on the part labeled as old rail. And you can see how it's removed by spreading the tabs apart.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Those clips usually stay on the fuel line feeding the injectors, but if you're careful you can remove it by inverting the tabs and sliding it off. The tabs are surprisingly resilient and won't break. The fuel line has the clip located in the connector on the tank side and is how the original one came. When you get one separately, as you can, it is easier to insert it into the fuel line on the tank side and then install the fuel line onto the fuel rail with a click. I work with these things all the time. The clips also come with an older Ford fuel filter and since I can re-use the old clips, I have a few on hand. PM me with your address and I'll send you one.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Sorry, it's late here. The clip is originally located in the connector on the fuel line from the tank (the one that you remove with the tank) which connects to the injector fuel line. When the two are mated the clip is then attached to the injector line as you see in the old fuel line picture. If the tabs are bent away (not together as when you remove the fuel line) and down toward the opening on the steel line, the tabs will usually bend far enough to remove the clip and not break the clip, if you bend the tabs gently. After doing the repair to the injector fuel line, insert the clip back into the plastic connector on the fuel tank side and slide the line onto the injector line until it clicks.
I have a couple of these clips if you would like one, but I will keep enough for my stash. Send me a PM with an addy.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I don't know if that was any clearer. Anyhow, those clips come in different colors and it is important that you get the right size NOT necessarily color.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm pretty confident on how to get it off and on. If the auto parts store can't help me tomorrow, I will shoot you a PM with my address. I really appreciate your help. Thanks to everyone else also.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here is what I came out of the auto parts store with. They were near identical to the original. They are a little more pliable and don't feel as durable as the oem clip. I put one on and heard the fuel line click into place. I rode the bike to work without any problems. Hopefully it will hold up. The package came with (5) and only cost me $4.99 @ Advanced Auto Parts. Thanks again for everyones help.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Just pulled my tank today and it was a bear getting the blue clip to release the fuel line (stays with the tank). I've had my tank off 4 or 5 times without this much hassle. Seems like the clip is wearing out. Guess I'll head to Advance Auto tomorrow and get those clip (thanks for the info).

P.S. I pulled the tank to change out the filter (29,000 miles and it looked black) and the new filter came apart where the plastic piece goes into the mesh bag (WTF). Anyone ever have this happen? At $60 a filter maybe I'll use cyanoacrylate (super glue) if the dealer wont replace it.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Just pulled my tank today and it was a bear getting the blue clip to release the fuel line (stays with the tank). I've had my tank off 4 or 5 times without this much hassle. Seems like the clip is wearing out. Guess I'll head to Advance Auto tomorrow and get those clip (thanks for the info).

P.S. I pulled the tank to change out the filter (29,000 miles and it looked black) and the new filter came apart where the plastic piece goes into the mesh bag (WTF). Anyone ever have this happen? At $60 a filter maybe I'll use cyanoacrylate (super glue) if the dealer wont replace it.
On second thought anyone ever use an in-line fuel filter?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts