M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys, my bike does backfires once in a while and i like it! :D but a co-worker was following me last night and he said that the timing is wrong because he saw a blue flame instead of an orange flame, is that possible? :dontknow:

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
catalic converter removed, roadhouse slip ons installed with a cobra FI2000 all installed by dealer and not sure if this changes anything but i put 94 octane gas at the pump instead of 91 octane

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I don't think it would be a timing problem.but running that high of an octane would give you a blue flame.91 is what you should be running anything higher is money wasted and doesn't.help on performance.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I had the same setup and the same problem initially when I put them on my bike. There are two things you need to do, the slip-ons have an air leak. They are sucking air either at the place they clamp on to the main pipe or your head pipes where they clamp together. The second thing is you need to change the setting on the Fi2000r, I think I turned the first pot up a little and the backfire went away. Give it a try, your bike will like you for it! :p

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Guys, do not forget, he has not said that he blocked off the pair valve. It injects fresh air into the exhaust for emission purposes. The backfire is most likely due to that, plus possibly a tad rich. Do the block off plates and I bet that solves the problem.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Guys, do not forget, he has not said that he blocked off the pair valve. It injects fresh air into the exhaust for emission purposes. The backfire is most likely due to that, plus possibly a tad rich. Do the block off plates and I bet that solves the problem.
:agree:
To add just a little:

Do not bother to buy the block off plates from DLP or anyone else.

You can remove the hose that feed both pair inlets from the air box and plug the hose with a marble or bolt or whatever gets a good seal for you, then reattach the hose to the air box. Quick, easy and effective.

If you have the air box off for something else and you want to clean thins up and loose the pair lines, plug the air box hole and make your own block off plates by using the elbow pieces that bolt to the top of the can to secure a piece of aluminum roof flashing to seal the opening. Much more work if this is the only reason you are taking it apart, but you do lose some of the clutter of the lines and this way each can stands on its own.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts