M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I would like to consider myself mechanically inclinded considering the things I have done on my bike so far!

So why is thie :edit: drive shaft cover kicking my ass? When I pop it on, it seems to not fit tightly around the 3 Hub nuts. Almost like there is an 1/8" gap. Now, I have not tightened it down yet and maybe that will suck it back down, but it just doesn't seem to be fitting properly.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
When you push it back to the nuts ;) it should almost "lock" in if the edges are bent correctly like Alien said. Then all you need is a HD tie rap(not Harley Davidson) although if you don't have a clearance problem a quality hose clamp will be more secure.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,940 Posts
The hose clamp that comes with it won't pull the rear of it down, it's too far forward. I had to bend mine in just a little to get it to fit the way I wanted.

It also fit really tight around the shaft, so tight it was digging grooves in it. I had to spread it apart where the clamp goes.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Even though the fit seems fine at the hub bolt end, the screw on my hose clamp is in direct alignment with the side edge of the tire.

The clearance is only about 1/8", which doesn't seem to allow much for expansion.

I've been thinking of replacing the hose clamp with a tie-wrap instead. That way, if there ever was contact to the tire, the head of the tie wrap wouldn't do the same damage as a clamp screw.

Does anyone else have this issue?

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Even though the fit seems fine at the hub bolt end, the screw on my hose clamp is in direct alignment with the side edge of the tire.

The clearance is only about 1/8", which doesn't seem to allow much for expansion.

I've been thinking of replacing the hose clamp with a tie-wrap instead. That way, if there ever was contact to the tire, the head of the tie wrap wouldn't do the same damage as a clamp screw.

Does anyone else have this issue?
I use a hd tie wrap...the screw head was just too close for comfort for me, especially at high speed. Actually I used two tie wraps side by side.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,940 Posts
I just rotated the clamp around to where the screw head was either on top of or below the swingarm. It's been on so long I don't remember. But you can rotate it so all that is on the side of the swingarm towards the tire is the band.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The hose clamp that comes with it won't pull the rear of it down, it's too far forward. I had to bend mine in just a little to get it to fit the way I wanted.

It also fit really tight around the shaft, so tight it was digging grooves in it. I had to spread it apart where the clamp goes.
Zoom,

I am having the same issues. I am going to try some bending tonight and see how it goes.

Thanks guys!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts