M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this topic has been brought up before but I just returned from a 125 mile trip and while cleaning my bike I noticed a lot of new scratches and what looks like a pimple in the paint on my tank. I still love the Black 109 and would not want to have any of the other colors, although they are sharp looking too. I am disappopinted in how fragile this paint seems to be. I am going to contact Suzuki and see what they have to say, which I'm more than sure will be we can't help you with that! Just wanted to reach out and see how many Black 109 owners out there are having the same problem...Thanks for any and all input on this topic Ray

·
Registered
326 Posts
I got my first ding in the paint last weekend. I've already ordered (and got) the matching paint and clearcoat to fix it.

As the owner of several black cars there will always be scratches. I take it as a matter of fact for the value of having the fastest color.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I think it is just a matter of time. The paint/clearcoat seems so thin that even a minor rub will cause damage. I wax the tank all the time. JOHN

·
Registered
346 Posts
Amen pridgen. I bought a black car about 6 months ago, and when it is clean it looks awesome. But the next day I want to retch. I got the fastest...er....silver bike as well. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have owned more black cars and bikes than I can even remember. I don't regrett getting my black 109 at all. But this paint and clearcoat is not durable at all. the slightest rub seems to produce scratches. Oh well just means I'll be pushing up the date on my custom paint job......full steam ahead

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
I found a few small nicks in the paint on my tank when I picked my black one up new from the dealer. They agreed to replace or repaint the tank for me when ever I was ready. Given all the info I've read about the thin clear coat, I figure I will take it in at the end of the season and have them paint it.
He said he would put extra clear coats on it for me and ensure that it was identical to the original (blue specs and all). Sounds like a plan to me.

G

·
lostrider said:
I have owned more black cars and bikes than I can even remember. I don't regrett getting my black 109 at all. But this paint and clearcoat is not durable at all. the slightest rub seems to produce scratches. Oh well just means I'll be pushing up the date on my custom paint job......full steam ahead
Yep, I'm just living with the original paint till the custom paint job this Winter :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
vtxoak said:
So who is ready for the custom paint now. I am taking orders :bigthumbsup:

I gotta pay the bike off before I can start thinking about that!! But you diffinately have one of the sharpest looking 109s I've seen yet! :D

·
Registered
543 Posts
He said he would put extra clear coats on it for me and ensure that it was identical to the original (blue specs and all). Sounds like a plan to me.
If he offered a new tank take that way.More clear don't mean better.And I bet he don't repaint,just reclear it,you can't tell.

·
Registered
752 Posts
vtxoak said:
So who is ready for the custom paint now. I am taking orders :bigthumbsup:

What would a paintjob like yours run a customer?

Just for a baseline comparison.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
seemed pretty tuff to me, just had mine two days and had to get the stickers off the tank asap plus the side reflectors front and rear. well the reflectors just unbolted but those damn stickers were hell. used a heat gun to soften up the glue but still wound up using my thumb nail for most of it, then wiped a lot with wd40 to get the remaining glue off. once waxed it looked perfect and that was after a lot of thumb nailing!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Try Nano wax. You can get it at Wal Mart. Eagle One makes it in spray and cream. I like the spray because it cuts the bugs and leaves no residue. Use it as a daily cleaner on everything. Windshield, chrome and even the seat. It also covers the surface scratches really good.

·
Registered
154 Posts
L-Train said:
What would a paintjob like yours run a customer?

Just for a baseline comparison.
I asked him before and it was around $1500. Also I checked with a local shop and they said around $1500. So I would think around $1500 would do it.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Zukii said:
I asked him before and it was around $1500. Also I checked with a local shop and they said around $1500. So I would think around $1500 would do it.
Thank you.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts