M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help. How do I get rid of the fine scratches on my black bike? It was bought brand new - has 1000km on. I cleaned it with water and a new sponge. I took new light car polish and used a fibre cloth to apply the polish. Another new clean fibre cloth was used to lightly rub the tank. Now I see light "scratches" on the tank.

I hear black can be a nasty colour and has the tendancy to do this - any help will be appreciated! ??? I want my tank like it looked two weeks ago - NEW!!

·
Radio Active Member
27,696 Posts
The paint on the 9 seems to be VERY soft. There is a kit that is made for black bikes. I believe that you can get it at your local auto parts store. Give that a try.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Go to any auto store and get Meguiar's Swirl Remover. About $8 and it will last you forever just doing a bike! Apply it by hand and remove it by hand after with microfiber rags. it works. Lastly, apply detailing spray to keep up the appearance.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
The paint on this bike IS very soft and you should never use anything on it except micro fiber cloths.

Getting rid of the fine scratches could take several steps depending on how deep they are. You can start with Mcguiar's Scratch-X, as it's the least abrasive of their products that works. Swirl-X is their least abrasive product, but I tried it on my black 9 and it does absolutely nothing, so start with the Scratch-X. If that doesn't get rid of the scratches, move up to the more aggressive Ultimate Compound. Once you get the marks out you can finish with Duragloss 101, which has a very fine polish, and it is also a sealant. It makes my black look like a mirror. It's the nicest looking wax I've used yet.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
might try a clay bar, paint is so soft (and thin) that you can buff or rub right through pretty quickly

sponge probably did you in

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Not only is it soft it is very thin already through the clear coat on the tank

·
Registered
53 Posts
scrathes out of paint

:agree:you also can use color back it comes in black or whatever color you need they sell it at autozone i have used it before on my xs1100 works good for filling in lite scratches and so does the meguairs :D:D

·
Registered
960 Posts
The paint on this bike IS very soft and you should never use anything on it except micro fiber cloths.

Getting rid of the fine scratches could take several steps depending on how deep they are. You can start with Mcguiar's Scratch-X, as it's the least abrasive of their products that works. Swirl-X is their least abrasive product, but I tried it on my black 9 and it does absolutely nothing, so start with the Scratch-X. If that doesn't get rid of the scratches, move up to the more aggressive Ultimate Compound. Once you get the marks out you can finish with Duragloss 101, which has a very fine polish, and it is also a sealant. It makes my black look like a mirror. It's the nicest looking wax I've used yet.
:eek:You say never use anything but microfiber cloths because the paint is so thin and soft then in the same breath say he should use Ultimate Compound and Scratch X? :edit:You must be trying to think of something bright to say.

The paint is soft and thin, THEREFORE, you start with the least abrasive for the job; Meguiars Swirl Remover. If that does not work, go to Scratch X but I really doubt you need to go beyond the Swirl product.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,091 Posts
Try using an old sweat shirt instead of microfiber towels. They are less likely to scratch than the microfiber towels are, and everything that touches them doesn't stick to them.

If you ever drop a microfiber towel on the floor, throw it away or use it to clean something besides paint, chrome, or polished aluminum.

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
Machine buff them out is the best way if they are fine with fine cutting compound.then hand polish it. thats how i get mine out:bigthumbsup:

if you have never used a buff i wouldnt try it on your tank first.

·
Registered
215 Posts
what about swirls in chrome?
Go to any auto store and get Meguiar's Swirl Remover. About $8 and it will last you forever just doing a bike! Apply it by hand and remove it by hand after with microfiber rags. it works. Lastly, apply detailing spray to keep up the appearance.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
:eek:You say never use anything but microfiber cloths because the paint is so thin and soft then in the same breath say he should use Ultimate Compound and Scratch X? :edit:You must be trying to think of something bright to say.

The paint is soft and thin, THEREFORE, you start with the least abrasive for the job; Meguiars Swirl Remover. If that does not work, go to Scratch X but I really doubt you need to go beyond the Swirl product.
You see, I have a black 9 and I've already been there and delt with what the OP is dealing with now. I have all of these Mcguiar's products and I can tell you from experience, if there's marks in the paint that you can see, the Swirl-X is going to do absolutely nothing. The Scratch-X and Ultimate Compound are good products, but the Swirl-X is a waste of money. You use micro fiber cloths to avoid getting marks. If you've got marks, you need to use something abrasive to get rid of them. It's not rocket science. I don't know why everything I post in here has to turn into an argument. Sometimes I think you people just like arguing.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Try using an old sweat shirt instead of microfiber towels. They are less likely to scratch than the microfiber towels are, and everything that touches them doesn't stick to them.

If you ever drop a microfiber towel on the floor, throw it away or use it to clean something besides paint, chrome, or polished aluminum.
I agree with your statement about throwing away a cloth that drops on the ground, but I disagree with your recommendation of using and old shirt instead of micro fiber cloths. Micro fiber is the softest material for use on painted surfaces and will not scratch unless it's got some foreign particals on it......and that stuff can get onto any type of material....

·
Registered
973 Posts
I agree with your statement about throwing away a cloth that drops on the ground, but I disagree with your recommendation of using and old shirt instead of micro fiber cloths. Micro fiber is the softest material for use on painted surfaces and will not scratch unless it's got some foreign particals on it......and that stuff can get onto any type of material....
:agree: Do not use a t-shirt or sweatshirt. Use only microfibre towels. I also have a black one and the paint is so soft it is a joke! As someone already said it was probably the sponge that caused the scratches in the first place, throw it away and use microfibre towels from here on in.

As far as getting rid of the scratches, I have had great success with Turtle Wax Scratch and Swirl Remover...

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
:agree: Do not use a t-shirt or sweatshirt. Use only microfibre towels. I also have a black one and the paint is so soft it is a joke! As someone already said it was probably the sponge that caused the scratches in the first place, throw it away and use microfibre towels from here on in.

As far as getting rid of the scratches, I have had great success with Turtle Wax Scratch and Swirl Remover...
Haven't tried it, but I do like their chrome polish! :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi

I have a black 9 and use a product call autoglym. i put it on with a soft spunge adn then wipe off with a micofibre cloth doing small circular montion.
any areas that appear to have scratchs i just apply more polish to that area. had my 9 for 3 years now and still looks like show room condition

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Hi

I have a black 9 and use a product call autoglym. i put it on with a soft spunge adn then wipe off with a micofibre cloth doing small circular montion.
any areas that appear to have scratchs i just apply more polish to that area. had my 9 for 3 years now and still looks like show room condition
Are you talking about their "super resin polish"? maybe I'll give it a try.
Are you in the UK?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts