M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
7 month's ago I was creamed on my 04 Wing.A woman in my lane could not stop,I was standing on the brake ,and had the front lever touching the bar,and still no stop,so I put her down,when I hit the car I was up straight again,looking at the chick ,then slamed up against her truck,then hit the ground.I broke my leg 1" below the knee,then virtical again on th side of that.Broke my foot nose,eye socket,and my teeth were smashed in my gumes,and I was bleeding to death.My wife went through hell taking kare of me.I was in never so much pain in all of my life.My wife did not want me to ride again,then gave in,but never thought I was serious.I checked out the wings,but I did not like the colors this year,and the comfort package was not offered anymore,because no body wanta a gps when they alredy got one better,they can take on ther bike or truck.So honda makes you get the top of the like bike.I was sick of the frame cracking,and wanted a change.I seen this bike and Lamont on it and I was hooked. I got one,but I have no getters about riding,just,in the country mostly 2 lanes,and those damn cages are not driving the speed limit,or in their lane.I have had to pull on the sholder 4 times in one week.Are these people just that stupid or they trying to kill me.Every person I talk to has a story about someone they know that got killed on a bike.Their was on artical about our brave soilders getting their check comming home and buying a sport bike and getting killed same week. I hate to dwell on this stuff,but driving irresponsible is another topic,but getting run over,by a mom in a SUV on the phone,I feel I should shoot back.That Car van,or truck is a loaded weapon to me.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
very sorry to hear about your ordeal. it was kind of hard to decipher what happened from your text. i guess a chick pullled out into your lane?

you are right about most of us having stories. anyone that rides long enough will probably at least have some close calls with cagers that don't see them. they aren't trying to kill you intentionally, they are just ignorant. cagers need proper training, with emphasis on paying more attention to their surroundings, and paying attention to detail. they also need stiffer penalties when they do things like you describe as a deterrant.

i'm in the army, and we get all kinds of special regulations (mandatory gear) and training because of motorcycle statistics. i view it as discrimination, personally. for a safety day that we have coming up, all the motorcyclists have to attend. this is after already having to attend the MSF to be able to ride. it's unfortunate that they aren't requiring the cager owners to do special training as well, and i'll be bringing this up to my chain of command.

just like you said, we just got back from iraq in january. a lot of troops have bought bikes when we got back. the reason we are having that special safety day training is because of all the deaths on bikes since. now, some of them are guys doing stuff they shouldn't be on crotch rockets. that just comes with the personality of young soldiers. but, many were not. personally i know a guy that last week had the same thing happen to him as you did. he ended up swerving off the road to avoid the car that pulled in front of him. he was ok but totalled his bike. said his MSF training saved him (swerving instead of braking). but, he shouldn't be put in that situation in the first place.

carrying guns and "shooting back" isn't really the answer, imo. there's debate on how useful carrying is while on a bike. at the point you'd be able to shoot the person, they'd no longer be presenting a threat, and you'd be murdering them. i think this is where the stiffer penalties should come in. as you said, their vehicle could be seen as a weapon. i think they should be tried as such in car vs. motorcycle accidents.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Riding for almost 36 years I've had more than my fair share of "close calls". I spent time in Italy in 69-70 and driving rented Moto Guzi's around Rome on weekends was the scariest experience I've ever had.....literally "every man form himself" in that city/country.

As a cycle rider, especially today, you have to grow a extra set of eyes in your a__ and develop 360 Pano-Vision and scan for everything from deer, dogs etc. and probably the most dangerous of all " the cell phone using fool" doing 75 mph. As most phone booths have disappeared, these idiots don't have the courtesy to pull to the side of the road and do their "talking". Inadvertently their taking aim at every other vehicles on the road to include us cyclists and the results are tragic.

Every cycle rider has his own list of "close ones" and, without a doubt, those lists in some cases are long. "Sheer Luck" and the "Grace of God" allow us fortunate ones to share our stories. Some are not as fortunate.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I have been riding since 1992 and consider myself a "safe" rider...I'm cautious and I anticipate trouble...I put in my mind that everyone has the potential to
do something stupid. The prior poster struck a cord with me....My close ones seem to be involved with a woman in a minivan or suv...on the frigging phone
or yelling at the kids and it pisses me off to no end.
Last week I had a woman in a piece of crap Ford Windstar tailgating me , she was maybe 4-5 feet
behind me doing about 40 mph ...oh boy was I fuming. We came to a light and I put her in nuetral...turned around and gave that woman the look of death as I flipped my shield up rather hurriedly...she calmed down when she saw an 253 lb, built... black man on a bike , she was well behaved.. far from me for the next 3-4 miles.
I'm truely surprised these women aren't a higher statistic...alot of them seem to drive unsafely , speeding to that next sale at walmart or picking up
the kid from soccor practice.
I see them on the interstate doing 75-80 with kids jumping around the suv with no belts on...truely sad.

I think they believe that in a big Surburban it can never happen to them , they have a sense of power on the road .... Cell phones drive me crazy...
people get to emotionionally involved in conversations on the phone..I see heads bobbing , eyes rolled, arms flying around, where's the concentration ?

If me and my wife talk while on the road..we say what we have to say and hang right up...I have bluetooth in my car a lil safer .

My number one rule on the road is not to let anybody rush me..or make me go faster than I want to go...I always atempt to drive the speed limit as this
has netted me 0 speeding tix in all my years of being on the road...(knock on wood)

One thing I have learned being a motorcyclist...you can be the safest rider in the world , that other person AIN'T !

I posted a topic "fun at the Beach" and listened to the war stories...looked at some battle wounds as they proudly display :eek: , mostly young guys in the military...some of them live in front of judges or keep lawyers on thier cell phones , have trouble keeping an insurance carrier...1 guy said he pays $1,700
a year for insurance , lauging about it....uuugh. I don't pay that for my 370,000 home , 2 cars , 2 bikes ,life policies .

Oh well...I could go on .

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
a car driver. so-called because the car is like a cage.

G

·
You shuld see these moms in cars or whatever here in delawere I'm a contractor and we are in a lot of differant neighborhoods they don't drive fast they friggin fly low, 35 to 45 mph on crowded streets, with little kids running around , and they are the first to cry about someone else going a little bit fast.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Yes it is very bad when this is suppose to be the more intelligent people out here and in some cases i seen 2 year old be more respondable....................i agree they should have something out for people in cages to take so they look out for us and people on bicycles.................

·
Radio Active Member
27,696 Posts
I agree with you. I work at an elementary school and when that late bell rings I see parents flying through the parking lot, must be doing 35-45mph.
I will also have to say that I have seen many unsafe motorcyclists as well. They are going so fast that people don't see them comming. I make eye contact when I pass people and try to always have more then one way to go, just in case. I have had friends that have been smacked in the ass and launched through an intersecton. I always pump my brakes and sometimes place my hazards on when I see a car comming up on me when I am at a stop light. Can't be to safe out there.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I do to alot of the time here I will try to stay in the right lane so atleast I can make a last ditch right hander if Iam gonna get squashed by a expedition or excursion or exploder

1 - 10 of 10 Posts