M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike won't start. I bought a gel battery less than 6 months ago and last week when i was about to leave work, my bike wouldn't start. We took the battery back to the dealer and they gave me a new one. I hooked the new battery up on Sunday and rode to Philly's for theToy Run. So far so good. The parade is starting so I go to start her up. NOTHING... So the pushed started it.... We disconnected my led lights and it seemed to be fine. Startrd up no problem.
Last night went to start it....NOTHING...DEAD..

Need advise on what could be wrong before I call the dealer.:dontknow:
thanks

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Either your battery is bad, or you've got a slow drain on the battery when its sitting. Maybe your LED transformer or something else draws current when its just sitting. Did this start happening after you added something? You need to have it tested for current drain when its turned off.

Don't know the exact procedure for doing that, maybe someone else here will chime in on how to do that.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just got the battery on Saturday. Sunday I hooked it up and she started right up. On the way to Philly we stopped 2 times, and had no issues starting it. 3rd time starting ...nothing...
I hope it's nothing big....

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Just for Sh&ts and Giggles...take off the ground from the frame sand the connector and the frame, put it back on. If it goes from full power to nothing without any sign of being low, it's a connection problem.:bigthumbsup: And this should fix it.

I'm assuming you have no lights...nothing..

·
Registered
922 Posts
starting issue

Have you checked the wires to the starter, make sure they are not loose. Also check to see if you have not pinched or crimped any wires that could ground out, or are open and touching one another. If you have had a lot of different people installing lighting on your bike or any other electrical equipment all that wiring needs to be traced and checked.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Have you checked the ground to the frame? Behind the rear jug. If that is loose, it will give you problems, just like what you are having.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Have you checked the ground to the frame? Behind the rear jug. If that is loose, it will give you problems, just like what you are having.
Even if it's not loose, it could have corrosion. Needs check first. If you have lights and other things but won't turn over then look at what Mike1 said.:doorag:

·
Registered
10 Posts
it happen to me, got my bike towed to the dealer they said the rectifier got loose. I dont know what that is but its fix now.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
it happen to me, got my bike towed to the dealer they said the rectifier got loose. I dont know what that is but its fix now.
Rectifier? I hardly even know her!:eek:

Sorry couldn't resist.:D:joke::joke:

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Have you checked the wires to the starter, make sure they are not loose. Also check to see if you have not pinched or crimped any wires that could ground out, or are open and touching one another. If you have had a lot of different people installing lighting on your bike or any other electrical equipment all that wiring needs to be traced and checked.
If the led's are unhooked and the battery worked fine, and then it happens again tells me it isn't the led's. The issue of wiring was eliminated at that point.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Basically you have a stator that generates the power. Then that feeds to the rectifier which converts that AC power to DC which in turn then charges your battery.

So, you really have 2 charging components on the bike...stater and rectifier. The rectifier is on the left side above the swingarm, almost right below the battery.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Yes, a loose/rusty connection somewhere could definitely cause a non-charging issue.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Start issue ?

If the led's are unhooked and the battery worked fine, and then it happens again tells me it isn't the led's. The issue of wiring was eliminated at that point.
I was thinking along the lines of more criticle components not LED's. I have left my LED's on for more than 24 hrs. by accident , and my bike fired right up, I doubt that they would drain a new gel Battery. It would have to be something with a lot stronger pull.

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
Basically you have a stator that generates the power. Then that feeds to the rectifier which converts that AC power to DC which in turn then charges your battery.

So, you really have 2 charging components on the bike...stater and rectifier. The rectifier is on the left side above the swingarm, almost right below the battery.
Could the stator not be producing power? I imagine one could test at the battery when running, and make sure it is producing 13-13.75 volts. Not sure what the 9 stator puts out though.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Could the stator not be producing power? I imagine one could test at the battery when running, and make sure it is producing 13-13.75 volts. Not sure what the 9 stator puts out though.
that is worst case scenario. The way it sounds is that she's going along, stops for a drink of Mountain Dew or Pepsi:eek: then she comes back out to leave and when she goes to start. Nothing. If it is a charging problem it would or could try to start or it might even have the dash lights and cycle, but when she says "nothing" then that means to me that there's nothing.;)

Also if it was the stator, the bike would shut off when it's going down the road once it ran out of power. DON'T ask me know I know this....:-X

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
I was thinking along the lines of more criticle components not LED's. I have left my LED's on for more than 24 hrs. by accident , and my bike fired right up, I doubt that they would drain a new gel Battery. It would have to be something with a lot stronger pull.
Yea, possible. I personally think it is one of the following:

1) Ground strap is loose
2) Defective battery
3) Rectifier

The rectifier rarely goes bad though so i doubt it is that. I have seen batteries go bad like this. Just because they are new doesn't mean they are good. Could have been sitting on a shelf for how long? Pull the battery out, take it back, and let them put a load test on it to see if it is that.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Yes, that is the best way. Giddyup109 was having issues. He took his battery back and they told him it was fine. He had since put my stock battery in and the bike ran great. Put the other battery that was tested good, and the bike was dead. We checked it and it was putting out 15v (I think) at the battery...or within spec of whatever the manual had said. If it was me, I would jump and fire it up, check the charging voltage, check ground strap and connections to the battery, and then take the battery for a load test.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Yea, possible. I personally think it is one of the following:

1) Ground strap is loose
2) Defective battery
3) Rectifier

The rectifier rarely goes bad though so i doubt it is that. I have seen batteries go bad like this. Just because they are new doesn't mean they are good. Could have been sitting on a shelf for how long? Pull the battery out, take it back, and let them put a load test on it to see if it is that.
This is the one I'm betting.:bigthumbsup:

·
Radio Active Member
27,696 Posts
Either your battery is bad, or you've got a slow drain on the battery when its sitting. Maybe your LED transformer or something else draws current when its just sitting. Did this start happening after you added something? You need to have it tested for current drain when its turned off.

Don't know the exact procedure for doing that, maybe someone else here will chime in on how to do that.
:agree::agree:

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I have seen wires under the tank rubbing through the insulation onto the frame. This could be a drain too. I wrap these wear spots with Scotch 70 rubber tape

1 - 20 of 30 Posts