M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings All,

Quick question – I went to start my bike the other day and before it could turn it went dead in an instant – all electrical went out – dash lights, everything.

It wasn’t a slow drain or die down (indicating mechanical failure or a slowly dying battery) – it was instantaneous so I was definitely thinking electrical – and I went right for the fuse box – the one under the seat and checked them – all of them were good.

I left it at that, and was gonna come back later and check it out. I went back in the garage and thought I would try it again, I turned the key and I had dash lights. I tried to crank it and the same thing – it started to crank for just a second and immediately died (as if cut off).

I wasn’t thinking it was the battery because it wasn’t the slow drain sound that you usually hear with a dying battery.

I had also just replaced it a few months ago and had a tender on it.

One other thing, the second time I attempted to start it, the seat was off (from when I checked the fusebox the first time) – and when I tried to fire it up, I could have sworn that I saw a tiny bit of electrical smoke.

Any ideas?

Thanks all in advance – I appreciate it.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Check your battery cables and cable connections. Either that or the battery has a bad cell. Also, check your ground connections.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
had something similar happen to me on memorial day weekend.
i had just installed the gbat battery a few months before. turned out to be a loose ground connection. tightened it up and never had the problem again. :bigthumbsup:
let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm having the same issue. I checked the positive and negative connections and they're all tight. Where is the ground wire?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm having the same issue. I checked the positive and negative connections and they're all tight. Where is the ground wire?
Sorry to hear that, the advice given was spot on - although not at first...

When I had first checked, the cables were on there really good, so I couldnt image that being the issue. But I went ahead and disconnected everything, and reconnected - no go. Tried again, this time cleaning off the terminals - still no go.

So after a couple of days, I took the battery out and brought it to both the Suzuki dealer and Interstate batteries (in case there was a dead cell as suggested above - the battery should have still been under warranty). Both said the battery was in fine condition. I had believed this as the way the bike was dying seemed to be more of an electrical cut off rather than a die off from a dead battery.

When putting the battery back in, and firing it up this time it worked? I have no idea what was different...

Anyways, sorry to hear your having the same problem. I would go with the advice on this thread and make sure you have a good connection and that the terminals ared clean.

Thanks again all...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts