M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I am getting ready to trailer down to Sturgis area and thought it was a no brainer to secure bike to trailer. I have hauled my race bikes for years but the m109r is not so easy.

I found that the handle bars will rotate in the riser and tie downs seem to be too close to switches etc.

I will try tomorrow to pull forward off front peg mounts forward to secure in chock.

Next I will go off of the riser and pull directly outwards to the side of the trailer to control side to side movement.

Lastly I was thinking of wrapping the rear wheel and tieing off each rear corner of the rear of the trailer.

Anyone have any experience haul their bikes?

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Purchase a harness for the handlebars. It has straps on it at the ends for the tie downs. Pull the straps down and forward. You should only need one strap for the rear. I usually run it around the swingarm or through the rim and tie it to the left or rignt side of the trailer, depending on what side I have the bike or how many bikes are on the trailer.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I hauled my bike last week about 450 miles roundtrip. I have a golfcart trailer that I have two 4x4 blocks of wood in the front spaced the width of the front tire to keep it steady.
I have the tie downs that the metal hook, loops around the handlebar and secures in a nylon loop on the tiedown. That way there is plenty of room on my handlebars. I secure the back with regular tie downs. There is a metal loop right behind the passenger peg for securing the back. Do not use the peg as it can bend them. The back does n ot need to be cranked down too tight, just enough to keep it from jumping around.
Hope this helps. If you need me to show you what the tie downs I use on the front, just pm me and I will try to post a photo or get the harness that Ghose has described for the front.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
Purchase a harness for the handlebars. It has straps on it at the ends for the tie downs. Pull the straps down and forward. You should only need one strap for the rear. I usually run it around the swingarm or through the rim and tie it to the left or rignt side of the trailer, depending on what side I have the bike or how many bikes are on the trailer.
:agree:you definitely should use a harness for the handlebars, since that will make everything much easier. and i use two straps for the rear, just to be safe.

·
Registered
547 Posts

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Here is the setup futurR uses and it worked good. I don't remember what the straps on the bars were called. Just make sure you check the tension every time you stop.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
DO NOT USE A HANDLEBAR HARNESS ON THE 9, ESPECIALLY THE ONES THAT GO OVER THE HAND GRIPS!!!!!! You hit one big bump that throws the bike in an upward motion and it will bend the handlebars. They cannot handle that much stress. Handlebar straps are not designed to be used on an 800 lb street bike. In fact, you shouldn't strap to the handlebars at all. An excellent tie down point for the front straps is the cast iron front footpeg mounting brackets. You can put the "S" hook through the hole on the right side, but you'll need an 18" extension strap (I used two of them for added safety) on the left side because there's no hole in the mounting bracket. For the rear I hook two of the 18" straps to a metal keeper and wrap them around the rear tire and wheel. I trailer my 9 almost every weekend using this method and it works great!

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Here is the setup futurR uses and it worked good. I don't remember what the straps on the bars were called. Just make sure you check the tension every time you stop.

i am appalled to see your bike in a trailer mitchell!!!

and also remember that the straps should always bet pulling the bike forward into the front wheels chock.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
double wow!!

wow #1- you pull with a corolla!? awesome i found a new use for mine!!

wow #2- arent your front tie downs a bit low on the bike?? i would have though that you would want those higher?

·
Banned
108 Posts
+1

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
double wow!!

wow #1- you pull with a corolla!? awesome i found a new use for mine!!

wow #2- arent your front tie downs a bit low on the bike?? i would have though that you would want those higher?
Yep, the ole Corolla does just fine pulling the 9. In fact I set the cruise at 75 on the highway and barely know it's even back there.

These front tie down locations aren't too low at all. They keep the bike pulled securely into the wheel chock (which also holds the bike in a vertical positon). The rear straps keep the bike from moving side to side. This tie down setup works extremely well.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
I can't stess enough these handlebar straps are not made for 800 lb bikes. They are made to be used with light weight dirt bikes. Even the places that sell them will tell you not to use them on these heavy street bikes.

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
they are called canyon dancers.... Bigpapa swears by them uses them for his bikes... I personally go around the bars with an extension strap or the lower triple trees...

dlp sells them...

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
they are called canyon dancers.... Bigpapa swears by them uses them for his bikes... I personally go around the bars with an extension strap or the lower triple trees...

dlp sells them...

Those are the exact straps I called about and the manufacturer will tell you NOT to use these on these heavy street bikes. Think about how much stress is being put on the handlebars with the tie down points being way out on the ends the handlebars.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
DO NOT USE A HANDLEBAR HARNESS ON THE 9, ESPECIALLY THE ONES THAT GO OVER THE HAND GRIPS!!!!!! You hit one big bump that throws the bike in an upward motion and it will bend the handlebars. They cannot handle that much stress. Handlebar straps are not designed to be used on an 800 lb street bike. In fact, you shouldn't strap to the handlebars at all. An excellent tie down point for the front straps is the cast iron front footpeg mounting brackets. You can put the "S" hook through the hole on the right side, but you'll need an 18" extension strap (I used two of them for added safety) on the left side because there's no hole in the mounting bracket. For the rear I hook two of the 18" straps to a metal keeper and wrap them around the rear tire and wheel. I trailer my 9 almost every weekend using this method and it works great!
I can't stess enough these handlebar straps are not made for 800 lb bikes. They are made to be used with light weight dirt bikes. Even the places that sell them will tell you not to use them on these heavy street bikes.
Those are the exact straps I called about and the manufacturer will tell you NOT to use these on these heavy street bikes. Think about how much stress is being put on the handlebars with the tie down points being way out on the ends the handlebars.
The Canyondancers USED TO only be made for sportbikes, with the more narrow handlebars. THOSE MODELS are definitely not recommended for larger, cruisers. However, if you did your homework, you'd know that they recently (this year) came out with a new model of canyondancers that are specifically MADE FOR CRUISERS!!!

The ends are large enough to go right over the handlebars of the M109, and they worked on our bikes, all the way to and from Staunton 2 weeks ago. And, if you know anything about the roads in the VA/MD/DC area, you'd know that we hit some pot holes that you could lose a small car in, and the bikes never budged an inch!

I'll swear by the canyondancers...you just have to purchase the RIGHT ones! :bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
The Canyondancers USED TO only be made for sportbikes, with the more narrow handlebars. THOSE MODELS are definitely not recommended for larger, cruisers. However, if you did your homework, you'd know that they recently (this year) came out with a new model of canyondancers that are specifically MADE FOR CRUISERS!!!

The ends are large enough to go right over the handlebars of the M109, and they worked on our bikes, all the way to and from Staunton 2 weeks ago. And, if you know anything about the roads in the VA/MD/DC area, you'd know that we hit some pot holes that you could lose a small car in, and the bikes never budged an inch!

I'll swear by the canyondancers...you just have to purchase the RIGHT ones! :bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:
I haven't enquired about them since last year, so you're right, I wouldn't have known about the newest ones. I still think they put too much stress on the handlebars, but I guess if they've been working for you they must be ok. I know all the info I've read about straping bikes to trailers say to never strap to handlebars on heavy bikes. I prefer hooking to the beefy cast iron footpeg mounts. I KNOW those aren't going to bend!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts