M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i use amsoil synthetic oil and filter in my 9 and i might of put about 500-1000 miles on it now my question is would you still change the oil in it next year just because it was sitting all winter even though the oil isn't even close to have to be changed milage wise or will i be just wasting $$$ by changing it. Thanks Jay

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I would. gases get into the oil and become corrosive. cost of oil is cheap compaired to a motor. change the oil before the storage. I've see the damage it causes, by others not heathing the message. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
6,619 Posts
Ok i use amsoil synthetic oil and filter in my 9 and i might of put about 500-1000 miles on it now my question is would you still change the oil in it next year just because it was sitting all winter even though the oil isn't even close to have to be changed milage wise or will i be just wasting $$$ by changing it. Thanks Jay
I don't. Amsoil has a tremendous capacity to resist acid formation.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I understand that an oil change is cheaper than an engine but i also dont want to be wasting time and money on an oil change for no reason if the oil is still perfect.

·
Registered
41 Posts
With only a handfull of miles on Amsoil I think it would probably be okay if you did not change it, but it's always best to err on the side of caution so change it.

I only have about 2 hundred miles on the oil in mine and I'll be changing mine this weekend. Right now it's filled with dino but Mobil1 v-twin 20/50
will be going in along with a k&n filter.

The price of the change will be worth the peace of mind.
JMHO

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,882 Posts
I never change oil just for winter storage. I change it at the recommended intervals, and if it's really close to needing changed I'll do it just to save the time next spring. I don't start them up in winter unless I can ride.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Is it better to change your oil before winter storage or leave it and change it in the spring???:dontknow:

Thanks

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I would. gases get into the oil and become corrosive. cost of oil is cheap compaired to a motor. change the oil before the storage. I've see the damage it causes, by others not heathing the message. :bigthumbsup:
Yep, what he said :agree:

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
As you can see, this question is about as easy to answer as "what color is fastest?" Of course the answer is RED.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I would fire it up when the new riding season begins and change it when you get to your normal change mileage.

·
Registered
137 Posts
No need if your using Amsoil....the man is right tremendous anticorrosive inhibitors unlike conventional oil...if still in doubt ask the Oil Doctor he is the Amsoil representative and will assure you that it isnt needed....

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Is it better to change your oil before winter storage or leave it and change it in the spring???:dontknow:

Thanks
I think it is. Better to have fresh oil in the crankcase while it's setting for long periods of time. FWIW, I change my oil once a year using Amsoil, and would do nothing differently regardless of how many, or how few miles I put on the bike. Amsoil is so good it will hold up for any amount of miles you could put on a bike in a year, or it would deal well with the bike being parked for a year.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I think it is. Better to have fresh oil in the crankcase while it's setting for long periods of time. FWIW, I change my oil once a year using Amsoil, and would do nothing differently regardless of how many, or how few miles I put on the bike. Amsoil is so good it will hold up for any amount of miles you could put on a bike in a year, or it would deal well with the bike being parked for a year.
What about Mobil 1 V twin synthetic? Will that hold up for the winter? That's what I used last time.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I never change oil just for winter storage. I change it at the recommended intervals, and if it's really close to needing changed I'll do it just to save the time next spring. I don't start them up in winter unless I can ride.
Don't waste your money! You don't need to change the oil just to store the bike. Wait until your regular interval and do it then! :p

G

·
Don't waste your money! You don't need to change the oil just to store the bike. Wait until your regular interval and do it then! :p
For the record, those running Rotella, their website also states anticorrosive additives. I am not concerned about over the winter with about 1000 miles on the new oil. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
I ride mine when ever possiable even during the winter and start it at least once a week.... usually I will change mine in the spring.... or when I hit 3000 miles which ever is first.... :doorag:

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
I basically prep my bike for winter in a way that allows me to just start her up next spring and have nothing done to it. Lube, Oil, Filter, Coolant, Tighten Bolts, Cables ETC

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
I'd say you nailed it!:agree:
CHANGE THE OIL, IT'S CHEAPER:p

1 - 19 of 19 Posts