M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my bike used and the guy before me put on the air intakes and exhaust, but never got it tuned because he said he was able to mess with the factory settings??? Anyways, what started out as back firing when getting on the throttle has turned into the bike stalling when running and going to accelerate. Would a nice tune like a bully resolve these issues or do you think theres more to the story, such as clogged fuel filter or the like? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
All it takes is 1 bad tank of gas to screw up a filter. I would change that first then go from there. How many miles on the bike? what mods?

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
They Changed the Pipes amd Intake and didnt Install a fueler ?
Have you checked to make sure they didnt hide one !

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
If it has had the Air Filter Mod & Exhaust, you need a fuel managment system Either Cobra or PC-III or PC-V. If you do not have one of those, that could be your problem. Check with Hink, Zoom or one of those guy's that know about them.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,078 Posts
I would check/change the fuel filter as Alien mentioned, they do go bad with very little warning.

And you definitely need to add a fuel manager. If they tweaked the stock programming they had a Teka tuner (expensive) or had a dealer do it. I use the Cobra FI2000R and it works great for me.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. The bike has almost 7k miles on her. Zoom, what are your thoughts on the Bully? It's far cheaper than the others and doesn't require a dyno tune or download for maps.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,078 Posts
Thanks for the replies. The bike has almost 7k miles on her. Zoom, what are your thoughts on the Bully? It's far cheaper than the others and doesn't require a dyno tune or download for maps.
Slick, I have no experience with the Bully controller other than what I've read on here. Several on here use it and I've not seen any negative comments about it. Most run the Cobra FI2000R and there's lots of experience with it. Both are similar in that they are adjustable on the unit itself, with the Cobra having 3 pots that you adjust and the Bully having several modes that you select and then adjust. Neither requires any downloads or maps, and a dyno tune isn't needed but could be done if you want. The negative is they can't take away fuel, but that's seldom needed once you start adding mods. And more fuel is safer for the motor than not enough. The Bully needs to be ordered in "stages" according to the type of mods you have, then you can adjust it within that "stage". At least I think that's the way it works, I'm sure someone better versed in it will come along and clarify how it works.

Block off plates are used to block the PAIR valves, which admit air into the exhaust on deceleration. They can cause popping on decel when you go to an open exhaust. They won't cause the backfiring on acceleration you were having.

·
Registered
643 Posts
The Bully doesn't get ordered for a particular stage and then only limited to that stage, it is adjustable from stage 1 (pretty much stock) to stage 3 (intake and pipes). On the website when you order them it does ask which stage you need, but, (unless it is for their own numbers for what time in the mod progression you are buying them), I am not sure why cause I think they all ship at a default stage 3. Adjusting between the stages is easy enough with a chart to show what the LEDS should look like , for each Stage and for the sub-settings in each stage.

for your other question, yes i would say you need a Tuner (fuel injection controller) and I am happy with my BULLY . HOWEVER since you said you the issues have gotten worse then you will also need to look elsewhere, to the fuel filter, air filter for being clogged, & i would also check the sparkplugs for being fouled or burnt from running a bad A/F mixture.

good luck

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys. I'll be ordering the Bully today, and I'm gonna look into the air filter, fuel filter, and spark plugs, all of which probably need to be changed due to running the horrible A/F ratios.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I bought my bike used and the guy before me put on the air intakes and exhaust, but never got it tuned because he said he was able to mess with the factory settings??? Anyways, what started out as back firing when getting on the throttle has turned into the bike stalling when running and going to accelerate. Would a nice tune like a bully resolve these issues or do you think theres more to the story, such as clogged fuel filter or the like? Thanks.
hey slick 109r...im having similar issues....i have a m109rz 1010..just had pc 5 installed
along with kn filters..and pair valves blocked

i also got a TRE fitted ( no one said that the shift light would show 4th gear all the time except neutral)

i have cobra swepts on her

i pick her up from the shop and she is idling at 500 rpm (stalls often)
back firing like crazy (more than b4)

i choose to get pc as i was told this would fix the problem greatly.

good to hear back on some solutions

cheers

1 - 14 of 14 Posts